Alright, so I really love this kind of music.

Basically, that guy is one who I really like

How would I go about, practicing what, to eventually achieve something like that?

I don't know what kind of techniques to practice, besides fingerpicking, to try and learn this kind of stuff. I'm not too good with theory, but I can understand the basics (I think)

So, what suggestions would you guys have for me? What kinds of techniques should I practice?

Also, if you have tabs/links to tabs for some songs that are similar to this style, that aren't super hard, that would be neat.

anything that you guys have that would help, would be great

(I posted this in the acoustic/classical section, and literally copy and pasted it here, cause I thought it might be better here.. >.>

I guess, instead of the whole technical aspects, since that might not be welcome in this forum, maybe more of the theorywise aspects?

Like what kind of scales, chord progressions, etc whatever should I try and study? Keep in mind, I'm a very basic music theory kind of guy
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Juan Martin and Juan Serrano have a good book or two teaching the style and techniques needed. Basic theory kinda guy? No problem, so were a few of the other flamenco guys... and back at the ranch there were others who knew nothing of theory and still played extremely well. But each and every one of them had their ears as flamenco was kind of passed on verbally much like the flaming alphabet and language back in Moses' time. It wasn't too long ago when someone decided to actually make sense of it and try to notate it, etc.

Listen to some Paco de Lucia for true inspiration and Spains respected guitar hero. There aren't many techniques to learn, problem is, you have to be very good at them to pull it off convincingly. Chordally, not different at all. Scalewise, one scale won't save you. Tabs will not do you any good unless they are accompanied by the notation and playing suggestions, etc. It is a loud style to play... you will get tired very quickly in the beginning but you'll overcome it.

Learn from the books, then do their suggestions. Learn from others. Mimic then own. There is a site for this stuff too, I just can't remember it. But google will help you out there.

Good luck
Last edited by evolucian at Mar 19, 2013,
You can get that spanish flavour by playing phrygian and dominant phrygian modes, but I think it's more important to have an ear for that sound. Listen to the top flamenco players like Paco de Lucía, Tomatito o Vicente Amigo. And you should learn to "clap" too, flamenco's "palos" have complex time signatures. As far as techniques go if you learn to finger pick and tremolo (ring, middle and index fingers for the trebble string and thumb for the bass notes) you're ready.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znOV5jWcfwo
Flamenco focuses a lot more on the dynamics (playing quiet and loud, slow and fast...) and the rhythmic qualities of compositions in particular, as opposed to, say, purity of tone which is a key element within the more traditional Spanish classical/folk music

Try to keep that in mind when you look up some "rasgueo" and "picado" lessons on Yooterb. A lot of people stop doing so after they learn the basic chords and it becomes sort of a "trick": you stick to the scale, throw in some "alzapúa" and "trémolo" and there you go -> flamenco. Compare it to playing some well known E-pentatonic licks over a 12 bar blues backtrack: it's easy to get there but the real fun starts when you begin to explore what's beyond

Since you're into the music may I recommend some Gerardo Núñez or Juan Manuel Cañizares. Still, if you want a good starting point for your own playing take a look at some of the slower stuff. There are quite a few styles (kinda like subgenres) within flamenco music. Some are often quite fast (bulerías) or are usually performed by a large group of musicians (sevillanas), which makes 'em harder to dissect and study. I'd recommend starting off with some Seguiriyas because those are often meant to be performed by one guitar, sometimes accompanied by a singer (or actually it's the other way around: the guitar is kinda meant to support the singer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqDwtQMC_0k

I'm also a big Moraito fan (this 'ere bloke's father, he just passed away last year). And yes, Paco de Lucía is one of the essentials

In terms of playing he's kinda like the Jimi Hendrix of Spanish guitar music -> apart from introducing several instruments and innovations into the genre (which at the time was kinda frowned upon, nowadays there's tons of awesome crossover stuff going on) he's just a great, great player with a unique style (and self-taught, by the way). It's very easy to get into this type of music if you start off listening to Entre Dos Aguas or Rio Ancho because they're kinda like pop songs with bass and percussion and whatnot

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Apr 24, 2013,
You must learn the five stroke or full Rasgueado for an authentic flamenco sound; each finger downstrokes one at a time: (1st stroke=e),(2nd=a),(3rd=m),(4th=i),(pinky=e, ring=a, middle=m,index=i) the fifth stroke is an upstroke on the i. Never strain or use excessive force; playing with fingernails will give you a much more authentic flamenco sound as well.

Some worthwhile players for listening Nino Ricardo, Sabicas, Ramon Montoya, Mario Escudero, & obviously Paco de Lucia as said before.
Last edited by Sti Eci Tehpor at Mar 19, 2013,