Hi! This is my first thread and mods, if I'm breaking any forum rule you can just close this thread and my apologies in advance.

So here's my problem: I have this guitar that has been sitting in our garage for over 3 years. I came across it last week and decided to restore it. I noticed that the neck was backbowed and needed to be adjusted (loosen? i think). When I tried to adjust the rod, only the nut turned. The rod did not move and it seems like the nut is turning on it's own and is not holding the truss rod. How can I adjust this? What do I need to do? Any advice would be appreciated.

Take note that my guitar is luthier made with a setneck. So changing/buying a new neck is not an option and I just bought a new guitar last December and the wife would go mad if I mention on getting another axe.
Last edited by dimesqeals at Mar 19, 2013,
Sounds like the nut is stripped.

What kind of guitar is it?

One fix for a bowed neck is to clamp it to the work bench for a week or so to bend the truss rod back into place. This is a worse case scenario kind of fix, but it's really the only thing you can do short of replacing the truss rod.

Either way, I'd take it to a tech and have them look at it. You don't want to be messing around with a stripped out truss rod unless you REALLY know what you are doing.

Good luck!
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Well the guitar is luthier made. A PRS SE copy. It's a setneck and the truss rod adjustment screw is located in the headstock. So the rod needs to be replaced? Damn that's big work and probably a huge bill for the labor.

Is there anything I can do to fix the nut? Maybe let it clamp or hold on to the rod? like a washer or something?
Yup taking it to guitarworld maybe tomorrow. I'm going nuts over this truss rod issue. Hehe. Thank you for the replies and suggestions guys.