Page 1 of 2
Hi. I've begun to add pedals. Came across some advertised noise reduction products.
I listed the most popular "noise gate reduction suppression" pedals below.

Questions:
1) Why not ALWAYS have a noise suppression pedal turned on and active?

2) Where to place the noise reduction pedal ~ read suggestions to place after the tuner?

3) Why not have the noise reduction pedal placed as the last pedal within an effects
chain to suppress ALL noise generated from both the guitar and other pedals?

4) Do good/bad noise suppressors have bypass or output that will not degrade the tone?

5) Anybody try several noise suppressors, then decided to never use noise suppressors again? Why your decision?

6) Below is a list of popular advertised noise suppression pedals. Have you had good or bad
experiences with any of the below? Any pedal you'd replace instantly if it went missing?

* JOYO JF-31 "Noise Gate" Pedal
* MXR M135 SMARTGATE Noise Gate Pedal
* MXR M195 NOISE CLAMP NOISE GATE SUPPRESSOR PEDAL
* MXR M235FC Smart Gate Pro Noise Gate PEDAL
* BOSS NS-2 NOISE SUPPRESSOR PEDAL
* ISP Technologies Decimator G String Noise Reduction Pedal
* Carl Martin Noise Terminator Pedal
* Rocktron Guitar Silencer Noise Reduction Pedal
* Rocktron Hush Stomp Box Reaction 11629 Noise gate Suppressor
* Rocktron HUSH Noise Reduction 11406 Gate Suppressor
What you need is a new amp.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

It depends entirely on where the noise is coming from. Without knowing that then it'd be pointless to recommend anything.
They're all shit. Apart from the NS-2, which is epic.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
They're all shit. Apart from the NS-2, which is epic.

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

I own the ISP & would recommend it to anyone purely for it's name.

Great pickup line.

Would you like to see my shiney g-string?

No, honestly it's ****ing unreal. Tidies up my sound amazing, no feedback, no hum, no nonsense.
Hi. I've begun to add pedals. Came across some advertised noise reduction products.
I listed the most popular "noise gate reduction suppression" pedals below.

Questions:
Personal Preference.

2) Where to place the noise reduction pedal ~ read suggestions to place after the tuner?
After dirt pedals

3) Why not have the noise reduction pedal placed as the last pedal within an effects
It can negatively affect repeats in a delay pedal, for instance.

4) Do good/bad noise suppressors have bypass or output that will not degrade the tone?
Yes

5) Anybody try several noise suppressors, then decided to never use noise suppressors again? Why your decision?
No

6) Below is a list of popular advertised noise suppression pedals. Have you had good or bad
experiences with any of the below? Any pedal you'd replace instantly if it went missing?
I have G String And Boss NS-2.
I prefer the G String.

* JOYO JF-31 "Noise Gate" Pedal
* MXR M135 SMARTGATE Noise Gate Pedal
* MXR M195 NOISE CLAMP NOISE GATE SUPPRESSOR PEDAL
* MXR M235FC Smart Gate Pro Noise Gate PEDAL
* BOSS NS-2 NOISE SUPPRESSOR PEDAL
* ISP Technologies Decimator G String Noise Reduction Pedal
* Carl Martin Noise Terminator Pedal
* Rocktron Guitar Silencer Noise Reduction Pedal
* Rocktron Hush Stomp Box Reaction 11629 Noise gate Suppressor
* Rocktron HUSH Noise Reduction 11406 Gate Suppressor

You could do this and be fine. However,there's a possibility you could be suppressing sounds you want to hear though.

Depends on what noise you're trying to reduce, and what your effects chain is. In general I prefer last in chain in front of the amp.

You want to kill noise, not delay repeats and reverb, so it's often best to put the supression just before those types of effects (which usually aren't noisy anyway).

Yup.

5) Anybody try several noise suppressors, then decided to never use noise suppressors again? Why your decision?Uh...sorta. I have an ISP Decimator I'm not using right now, but I might put it in the chain again at some point. The M13 has a gate...it's not as good as the ISP's but it's decent.

I have the regular ISP, not the G-string. I like it a lot (though it's out of the mix for now) and could consider just getting another regular one, that way I'd have separate controls for the one in front and the one in the loop.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
Noise gates have on/off switch so as to let you achieve feedback as part of your sound when you want it, or if the suppressor it chopping off the tails of time based effects.

They usually go at the end of your chain, before any time based effects (delay, chorus etc). The gate should go before these so that the gate does not prematurely trigger, chopping those effect tails.

If you have a conventional pedal, it goes either before the amp, or in the loop. Put it in front if you want to remove feedback mostly. Put it in the loop if you want to remove pre-amp hiss.

The ISP is more transparent that the NS-2 but the NS-2 is cheap andcan run in front of the amp AND in the loop with it's unsanctioned "X" pattern. It's the best pedal if you need both in front of the amp and in the loop - but don't have the money for an ISP G-String.

The ISP G-String will handle in front and in the loop. Its the very best pedal solution.
Last edited by 667 at Mar 19, 2013,
Either tonight or tomorrow, TS will buy the cheapest thing he can find on eBay without any thought at all.

Toppscore are you going to start a thread for every type of effect pedal? If you can afford to purchase so many pedals why didn't you just save up your money and buy quality pedals instead of a bunch of Boss pedals?

I love how all your threads are exactly the same.

Quote by Toppscore

"I came upon this type of pedal online this morning"

List of ridiculous questions that I could have researched on my own

List of cheap pedals in which I copied and pasted from an online music store
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Mar 19, 2013,
Very interesting comments. Thank you.

Seems the Boss NS-2 and ISP products have been mentioned.
Anybody with good/bad thoughts towards Rocktron Hush or Zoom ZNR
suppression products? PLMK. Thanks.

Also, I've read that placing a noise suppression pedal "before/in-front" of
"delay reverb tremolo echo" type pedals is a good thing ~ as noise suppressors
may "diminish" a timing/fading signal from that type of pedal.
What do you think?

Question regarding possible ground humm/buzz:
Pretty sure a major "humm" from my equipment is an electrical grounding issue.
It's that buzzing from your amp/speakers that goes away as soon as you touch
your guitar strings. My older amps have ground switches that never seem to work
and I've tried placing/plugging several amps and guitars at many locations
~ which will vary buzzing intensity.

If I placed the ISP or Boss NS-2 noise suppression pedals as the only pedal
between my guitar and vintage amp, will this reduce the buzzing/humming?

Or, do I need another device that resolves this ground issue, if it is that?

Thanks again. Toppscore
Last edited by Toppscore at Mar 19, 2013,
Buy a new house.

Go to GC and buy pedal, try it out as you have 30 days...
I have the MXR Smart Gate. I keep it 2nd in the chain right after the wah. (simply because it fits there easily with the wah taking up an entire column)

It doesn't alter the tone of anything and works fantastically for what I need.
Three Guitars >> Eleven Pedals >> Two Amps
Bandcamp (emo/indie/punk)

Quote by primusfan
> from louisville
> likes ween
> new favorite poster
The recommendation to place the noise gate before delay or chorus is legit. If you have an fx loop, just stick those effects in there though . I use an NS2 out front of my 6505+ combo and it works very well in quieting noise from my guitar. I didn't like the gate after my effects pedals, i felt it kinda dulled my sound. Maybe it was all in my head, but in any case my rig is nice and quiet the way I have it with no tone loss. I personally dont like that x connection people will recommend as it gave me phasing issues, but if you have success with it that's fine and dandy.

Whichever noise killer you get, try it first out front and then in the fx loop if you have one. Leave it wherever it kills more hum, which i suspect will be in front based on your OP.
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
Seems the Boss NS-2, ISP products, and MXR Noise Gate have been mentioned.
Checking around, these three have lots of experienced reviews and their reviews
are way more favorable and positive.
They are exactly what I'm seeking = a dedicated NR box/pedal. Thanks.

Anybody with good/bad thoughts towards Rocktron Hush suppression products?
I see Rocktron everywhere ~ just wondering.
PLMK. Thanks.
Quote by R45VT
Buy a new house. Go to GC and buy pedal, try it out as you have 30 days...

My plan, as well. A new house in San Francisco and four or five recommended
noise suppression pedals to compare at GC ~ not forty different ones.
Quote by GeetarHeero
The recommendation to place the noise gate before delay or chorus is legit. If you have an fx loop, just stick those effects in there though . I use an NS2 out front of my 6505+ combo and it works very well in quieting noise from my guitar. I didn't like the gate after my effects pedals, i felt it kinda dulled my sound. Maybe it was all in my head, but in any case my rig is nice and quiet the way I have it with no tone loss. I personally dont like that x connection people will recommend as it gave me phasing issues, but if you have success with it that's fine and dandy.
Whichever noise killer you get, try it first out front and then in the fx loop if you have one. Leave it wherever it kills more hum, which i suspect will be in front based on your OP.

GHero! Thanks for confirmation. I've also heard:
1) placing the NR pedal after distortion pedals and after delay'ed type pedals.
2) the NR pedal as the only pedal between the guitar & amp while using other pedals within the FX loop.
3) placing the wah wah before the NR pedal.

These will definitely be explored, but after buying a good NR pedal.
Quote by Deadpool_25
You could do this and be fine. However,there's a possibility you could be suppressing sounds you want to hear though.

Depends on what noise you're trying to reduce, and what your effects chain is. In general I prefer last in chain in front of the amp.

You want to kill noise, not delay repeats and reverb, so it's often best to put the supression just before those types of effects (which usually aren't noisy anyway).

Yup.

5) Anybody try several noise suppressors, then decided to never use noise suppressors again? Why your decision?Uh...sorta. I have an ISP Decimator I'm not using right now, but I might put it in the chain again at some point. The M13 has a gate...it's not as good as the ISP's but it's decent.

I have the regular ISP, not the G-string. I like it a lot (though it's out of the mix for now) and could consider just getting another regular one, that way I'd have separate controls for the one in front and the one in the loop.

Thanks, Deadpool. Much appreciated.
Quote by Mephaphil
What you need is a new amp.

They're irreplaceable.
Quote by AndyGray
I own the ISP & would recommend it to anyone purely for it's name.
it's ****ing unreal. Tidies up my sound amazing, no feedback, no hum, no nonsense.

Thanks for the confirmation, Andy.
From CodeMonk:
1) Why not ALWAYS have a noise suppression pedal turned on and active? Personal Preference.
2) Where to place the noise reduction pedal ~ read suggestions to place after the tuner? After dirt pedals
3) Why not have the noise reduction pedal placed as the last pedal within an effects chain to suppress ALL noise generated from both the guitar and other pedals?
It can negatively affect repeats in a delay pedal, for instance.

Yes

6) Below is a list of popular advertised noise suppression pedals. Have you had good or bad experiences with any of the below? I have G String And Boss NS-2. I prefer the G String.
================

Thanks, CodeMonk
So with that being said, go buy the one that you found had the best rating on the UG reviews which is nothing that anybody has recommended.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by Sputnik1
Either tonight or tomorrow, TS will buy the cheapest thing. . . .

Sputnut NO TROLLING for arguments or negativity
Read the Ultimate Guitar Forum RULES, please!

Hey! Be an angel Be nice
Quote by cdr_salamander
So with that being said, go buy . . . . nothing that anybody has recommended.

Commander Salami You are back!!!
NO TROLLING for arguments or negativity

Hey! Be an angel Be nice

Why TROLL for negativity when you can just go away
Last edited by Toppscore at Mar 20, 2013,
I see your scatterbrain is kicking in.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Mar 20, 2013,
Quote by Toppscore

Anybody with good/bad thoughts towards Rocktron Hush suppression products?
I see Rocktron everywhere ~ just wondering.
PLMK. Thanks.

Yep. They're shit. You remind me of one of my old friends from school. He'd always ask me what guitar he should get next and just get whichever one I told him not to get. So go for the Rocktron.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Hey TS, just spend your money on Haribo. At least then you're getting a quality product for sure.

You could also buy used.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Mephaphil
Hey TS, just spend your money on Haribo. At least then you're getting a quality product for sure.

You could also buy used.

I think his dad must have bought a used durex...
EH

Quote by Toppscore
Sputnut NO TROLLING for arguments or negativity

Hey! Be an angel Be nice

Your previous behavior from your tremolo thread put off a number of people.
Telling several EE's that they were wrong and you were right concerning digital and analog devices, and doing so in a condescending manner.

Don't bother to reply to this post...

I have been a member here for almost 9 years.
And in that 9 years, I have NEVER put anyone on my ignore list.

SO....CONGRATULATIONS...
You are the first, (and likely, the only one ever) to be put on my ignore list.

Enjoy your day.
Quote by eddiehimself
I think his dad must have bought a used durex...

From me.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Questions:

It can affect dynamics, especially if you like to roll back the volume knob, they can in some situations be a bit of a tone sucker (I found this more in effects loops than in the front).

I don't use a tuner, I use it after my compression pedal into the front of the amp, where to use it depends on what works best for your situation, I don't believe there is any rule.

It affects dynamics, it will certaintly affect reverbs and delays but that doesn't mean there is a rule to say no, if it sounds good then do it.

I own the Boss NS/2, it isn't bad but I would say many would consider it a definite tone sucker.

Only used the Boss NS-2, I would replace it because it does a good job of taming my noisy compressor pedal, but then I could easily ditch the compressor and live without the Noise Gate, I'd just rather not. The NS-2 is a bit of a tone sucker, you have to be careful with the settings.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by Bigbazz

I own the Boss NS/2, it isn't bad but I would say many would consider it a definite tone sucker.

Only used the Boss NS-2, I would replace it because it does a good job of taming my noisy compressor pedal, but then I could easily ditch the compressor and live without the Noise Gate, I'd just rather not. The NS-2 is a bit of a tone sucker, you have to be careful with the settings.

The NS-2 only sucks tone because people generally put the threshold on higher than it actually needs to go. Turn it down a bit and it sounds fine.
EH

Quote by eddiehimself
The NS-2 only sucks tone because people generally put the threshold on higher than it actually needs to go. Turn it down a bit and it sounds fine.

I pretty much covered that in my post "you have to be careful with the settings". But I still think its a tone sucker just being in the signal chain, so even so.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by Toppscore

Yes. i used to play really heavily distorted music (with some drop tuning), at first the NS really helped out with the feedback and buzzing issues.

after some time i got a better amp, used less distortion, experimented with feedback more and found myself trying to 'play around' my NS pedal. i just took it out the chain and never looked back.

after a while, for some reason, i just didn't need the NS pedal anymore and i liked my tone better.

i originally used the NS on my digitech rp20, later i got a boss NS-2.

as codeMonk mentioned, it is just personal preference with what you do. my style of music i wanted to play started to be non-conducive to playing with a NS pedal.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Mar 20, 2013,
Stick a NS-2 right after your guitar, or after the guitar and tuner. Set it to only have the very slightest effect on the signal. Stick any pedals that may also introduce noise in the NS-2's loop.

The reason for using an NS-2 is because it gives you more control over the severity of the effect than any other pedal, plus it gives you the option of using it as a total signal mute. Any other pedal will be too heavy-handed to operate on your guitar's signal without wrecking it. The NS-2 can be heavy-handed, sure, but only if you set it incorrectly.

Then you stick an ISP Decimator, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Debugger or other similar single-control unit in your amp's effects loop. Hell, you could even use a second NS-2. Turn the pedal way down, set your amp up to use the most average gain you use—neither the most distorted tone you use nor the cleanest—and then slowly put the pedal's control up until you reach the point where the excess noise is gone.

There is no single unit that can effectively remove the excess noise from a rig. The sort of gate or reduction you need on the amp is very different to the sort of effect you need on the guitar's signal. To reduce noise effectively you need to use two pedals, one that is overly-strong in effect to sort out the amp and one that can be tailored in very small degrees to suit your guitar. The NS-2 is the only pedal that offers that sort of control with a light enough effect and for my money, the plain Decimator is the best for sticking in the loop.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble

There is no single unit that can effectively remove the excess noise from a rig.

When my Armageddon is @ full blast, with the ISP on, if it weren't for the lights, you cant hear it at all. Absolutely dead quiet. I mean nothing.

Also, your mileage will vary with the noise gate right after your guitar. If you happen to have a noisy pedal that is squealing, and it's after the gate.. good luck with that.
I use a MXR Smart Gate, and it works really well. The ISP Decimator and Boss NS-2 are also wrth a look. I use the MXR because I paid $59 for it so it was a no brainer. I have the thresh-hold up only enough to stop feed back but not enough to cut off notes
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by CodeMonk
Your previous behavior from your tremolo thread put off a number of people. Telling several EE's that they were wrong and you were right concerning digital and analog devices, and doing so in a condescending manner. Don't bother to reply to this post... I have been a member here for almost 9 years. And in that 9 years, I have NEVER put anyone on my ignore list. SO....CONGRATULATIONS... You are the first, (and likely, the only one ever) to be put on my ignore list. Enjoy your day.

CodeMonk. The analog/digital discussion was another thread, another day ~ keep it there.
You and two others desire to shut down ideas and opinions are dissenting from yours.
Right or wrong, and I was probably wrong, why put people down? From my view,
there is/was a third option which made a difference for me.
Anyway, enjoy your opinions and thought without possibility. Enjoy your day.
Quote by eddiehimself
Yep. They're shit. You remind me of one of my old friends from school. He'd always ask me what guitar he should get next and just get whichever one I told him not to get. So go for the Rocktron.

Thank you, Eddie: Rocktron is off my list, which is getting narrower.
Any particular reason Rocktron is "crud" compared to the following five?
* Boss NS-2
* ISP Decimator Noise Gate
* ISP Decimator G String Noise Reduction Pedal
* MXR M195 Noise Clamp Reduction Pedal
* MXR M135 Smart Noise Gate Pedal

Thanks again. Toppscore
Page 1 of 2