Hey guys!
I am looking for pickups for my old guitar, LP Standard (Epiphone). Though I barely use it anymore, I need it since my current guitar has a Floyd Rose and I occasionally change tunings). T

I am looking for a sound that might fit anything from classic rock, to hard rock and metal, mostly hard rock and metal. I also play a lot of leads, but I need it to be great for rhytme also of course.

These are some of the suggestions I got (I am looking for sets of pickups to come together, budget up to 200$) :
SH-6 Duncan Distortion
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/sets/distortion_mayh/

Dimarzio D-activators
http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuckers/high-power/d-activator-x-bridge
http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuckers/high-power/d-activator-neck

Currently I think the Seymour Duncan SH-6 set would be a better choice, what do you guys think? I really want pickups that would sound "big" with pitch harmonics.

A while ago I already opened a thread, sadly, that time I ended up spending to money on new effects

Anyway, I would appreciate the help of you guys, I am sure some of you would know better than me! Sorry if my English isn't perfect, it's not my native language.

Netanel.
Last edited by NatiScream at Mar 19, 2013,
What kind of amp and gear are you using?

What do you not like about the current pickups? Try to be specific.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
At home I am mostly playing through my Line6 UX2, with Guiar Rig. But often I play with different amps, depends where I play.

About the current pickups, they are just too "soft", and feel very dry. Smooth clean or ear shattering distortion, it feels like a dry sound.
from personal experience, Seymour Duncan makes some of the best pickups in their price range. Now that is a personal preference as well but I think mixing a hot bridge pickup like the duncan distortion and a lower output neck like a 59 makes a totally smoking combo. I used a JB and jazz for years as well as a hot rail and little 59. that way you can go from singing leads or smooth cleans but still get tight, earth shaking rhythms. Just my 2 cents.
Quote by stuntman chris
from personal experience, Seymour Duncan makes some of the best pickups in their price range. Now that is a personal preference as well but I think mixing a hot bridge pickup like the duncan distortion and a lower output neck like a 59 makes a totally smoking combo. I used a JB and jazz for years as well as a hot rail and little 59. that way you can go from singing leads or smooth cleans but still get tight, earth shaking rhythms. Just my 2 cents.

I hear it might be a good choich putting Duncan's JB in the bridge and a 59 in the neck, what would you say about that one, would it fit me?

The think is I also need something that would be good for drop tuning (not over C, though), so it's a hard choice. Would this set (JB+59) do the job?
Last edited by NatiScream at Mar 19, 2013,
EMG 57/66 set or the Het Set. Comes with all the electronics you need and they sound amazing.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Consider:

1) Tesla

I'm getting w VR Extreme put into a custom build, and Malden uses a pair of those in their Subhuman.

2) Railhammer

Reverend is using these in some of their newest guitars. The HyperVintage is more for classic rock, with the Chisel and the Anvil being progressively more aimed at harder styles of rock & metal.

3) Lace

Like most major pickup makers, they make something for almost every genre. The Alumitones are lightweight & super clean, and the Deathbucker version of them is voiced towards heavier styles. The more traditionally manufactured Dirty Heshers were designed in partnership with Matt Pike (High on Fire, Sleep) to emulate his doom/stoner-metal sound.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
From personal experiance I would avoid the deactivators they just sound extremely muddy and the don't have that much output either. The sh6 is a pretty good set, if you are looking for something with a stupid amount of ouput take a look at the dimarzio xn2 the cleans are no where near as bad as everyone claims even at full volume.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Consider:

1) Tesla

I'm getting w VR Extreme put into a custom build, and Malden uses a pair of those in their Subhuman.

2) Railhammer

Reverend is using these in some of their newest guitars. The HyperVintage is more for classic rock, with the Chisel and the Anvil being progressively more aimed at harder styles of rock & metal.

3) Lace

Like most major pickup makers, they make something for almost every genre. The Alumitones are lightweight & super clean, and the Deathbucker version of them is voiced towards heavier styles. The more traditionally manufactured Dirty Heshers were designed in partnership with Matt Pike (High on Fire, Sleep) to emulate his doom/stoner-metal sound.

The Railhammer's Chisel set seems pretty cool. But it's a first for me hearing about Railhammer, how's the review about them?
no dactivators in an LP- I tried and it wasn't great (still run the bridge pickup in an Ibanez though).

Seymour Duncan JB/59 is about the most common upgrade to a Les Paul imaginable. It sounds much tighter than the distortions to my ears, and it boosts output really nicely without being overwhelming. probably my first choice.

Given the rig you're running, I would steer clear of active pickups. Actives are lovely through the right rig, and horrific through others. its just easier to avoid the potential letdown altogether.

Lately though, I had a chance to play an LP with Bareknuckle nailbombs loaded in it (both alnico V). very nice sounding set. really nice and tight sounding, lots of output but without being too hot or sterile sounding. maybe a little expensive, but definitely worth a look
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things...
Quote by NatiScream
The Railhammer's Chisel set seems pretty cool. But it's a first for me hearing about Railhammer, how's the review about them?

Personally, I dig 'em. I'm debating getting some or just buying guitars with them already installed.

Railhammers were designed by the guys at Reverend at least in part to satisfy Reeves Gabrels specs for the Reverend Reeves Gabrels II sig model, introduced last year. That guitar features a pair of Rwilhammer Chisels.

At the latest NAMM show, Reverend introduced several new models featuring Railhammers of different kinds. As such, there are a few fairly new demo videos floating around YouTube. The models aimed at harder rock are fitted with Chisels and/or Anvils, but even those sound pretty good played clean.

Here's a Reverend RG-II with the Chisels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zhifB6hgzI&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K6q5R6AcLk&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 19, 2013,
Wolfetone. Call the man,tell him what you want and he will hook you up.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
JB and Jazz are standard and sure-fire upgrades. Some people do like the Distortions, however, they are very low-mid focused and can sound very muddy in some guitars, especially on cleans. If you want versatility I would take the JB and Jazz any day.
Quote by NatiScream
At home I am mostly playing through my Line6 UX2, with Guiar Rig. But often I play with different amps, depends where I play.
Then bear in mind that a pickup chane will only get you so far. Ultimately it is the amp that defines your tone; if you're using software or whatever amp comes to hand then you can't expect a pickup swap to give you a great tone all the time. Pickups that sound good with one amp can sound utterly crap with another.

So your first task is to accept that no matter what you put in the guitar, getting a single amp to use consistently should be your top priority; money you put into pickups is money you're not putting in to an amp.

About the current pickups, they are just too "soft", and feel very dry. Smooth clean or ear shattering distortion, it feels like a dry sound.
'Soft' would imply underwound alnico and 'dry' implies overwound ceramic, so these are not good terms to use to describe the problem you have with the sound. Is it too warm? Too cold? Too thick, too thin? Bright or dark? Can you give an example of the sort of tone you want to end up with (more specific than just 'metal' or some such)?

The more specific info you can give us the better our advice can be. Without knowing exactly where it is you plan to end up, any pickup suggestsions come down to blind guessing.

That said, of the ones you mentioned, the Distortions can be 'okay' though they're basically just the same as the Epi's stock pickups with a cermaic mag thrown in.
D Activators are shit. Plain and simple. They're just like a Distortion, Super Distortion or similar pickup but much cheaper-sounding. They are modelled after what people think actives sound like, not what actives actually sound like and not what any pickup of their price should sound like.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Then bear in mind that a pickup chane will only get you so far. Ultimately it is the amp that defines your tone; if you're using software or whatever amp comes to hand then you can't expect a pickup swap to give you a great tone all the time. Pickups that sound good with one amp can sound utterly crap with another.

So your first task is to accept that no matter what you put in the guitar, getting a single amp to use consistently should be your top priority; money you put into pickups is money you're not putting in to an amp.

'Soft' would imply underwound alnico and 'dry' implies overwound ceramic, so these are not good terms to use to describe the problem you have with the sound. Is it too warm? Too cold? Too thick, too thin? Bright or dark? Can you give an example of the sort of tone you want to end up with (more specific than just 'metal' or some such)?

The more specific info you can give us the better our advice can be. Without knowing exactly where it is you plan to end up, any pickup suggestsions come down to blind guessing.

That said, of the ones you mentioned, the Distortions can be 'okay' though they're basically just the same as the Epi's stock pickups with a cermaic mag thrown in.
D Activators are shit. Plain and simple. They're just like a Distortion, Super Distortion or similar pickup but much cheaper-sounding. They are modelled after what people think actives sound like, not what actives actually sound like and not what any pickup of their price should sound like.

Mostly when I really need to worry about the sound I am playing outside of my home, each time with a different amp, but fine amps, so currently I am more worried about pickups so I could use my old guitar for other tunings, right now it's just awful with any amp.

The current pickups have a very cold and thin sound. I guess good examples of the sound I would like to get would be saying Megadeth, Avenged Sevenfold, and bands of this area (sound wise).

The pickups I am thinking about after all of the suggestions are now:
Seymour Duncan's JB+59
Railhammer's Chisel set
Seymour Duncan's Invader, which I am still not sure if they work good with mahogany, since I have already heard once they don't.
Forget the Invader. That's a one-trick pony and I've yet to hear it sound decent in an Epiphone.

The JB and 59 combination could work well. Basically they're like the pickups that your guitar has at the moment but just a little bit hotter and a little bit brighter.

Take a look at the Seymour Duncan Alternative 8. It's got a bit more power again over the JB and it has a bit more bass and mids to it. It'll be a more substantial change from the stock pickup than the JB would be. The DiMarzio Tone Zone or Breed will also give you a heavier and warmer sound.
For the neck, try a SD Pearly Gates (much warmer than the stock pickup), Jazz (slightly more modern version of the 59), DiMarzio PAF Pro (like the SD Jazz) or SD '59/Custom Hybrid (much hotter and thicker-sounding; could be too powerful).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Forget the Invader. That's a one-trick pony and I've yet to hear it sound decent in an Epiphone.

The JB and 59 combination could work well. Basically they're like the pickups that your guitar has at the moment but just a little bit hotter and a little bit brighter.

Take a look at the Seymour Duncan Alternative 8. It's got a bit more power again over the JB and it has a bit more bass and mids to it. It'll be a more substantial change from the stock pickup than the JB would be. The DiMarzio Tone Zone or Breed will also give you a heavier and warmer sound.
For the neck, try a SD Pearly Gates (much warmer than the stock pickup), Jazz (slightly more modern version of the 59), DiMarzio PAF Pro (like the SD Jazz) or SD '59/Custom Hybrid (much hotter and thicker-sounding; could be too powerful).

Okay so I looked up a bit and done a fast research, and it looks like the Alternative 8 in the bridge and the 59/Custom Hybrid in the neck could be a great combo going together. So at the moment this is my choice, but I am still not a 100% since it's hard deciding without hearing.

More opinions of course would be great.
Quote by NatiScream
Okay so I looked up a bit and done a fast research, and it looks like the Alternative 8 in the bridge and the 59/Custom Hybrid in the neck could be a great combo going together. So at the moment this is my choice, but I am still not a 100% since it's hard deciding without hearing.

More opinions of course would be great.

The 59/Custom is designed for bridge only...not that it wouldn't work but want you to be informed. Great bridge pup though...it sings and produces tons of harmonics...for days.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by dkunick
The 59/Custom is designed for bridge only...not that it wouldn't work but want you to be informed. Great bridge pup though...it sings and produces tons of harmonics...for days.

So what would you recommend instead of the 59/Custom to go together with the Alternative 8?
From SD on the Alt 8: "Matches great with a moderate output neck pickup like the SH-1n ’59 or the SH-2n Jazz Model."

Though its quite a bit hotter than the 59/Custom, and the 59/Custom is a screaming pup. Either bridge/neck combo would do you fine in that gtr. Curious to hear how the 8 does though. Let us know what you do and how she sounds.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Sorry for reviving the thread, but I need another question

I was about to order the Alternative 8 and 59 a few days ago, and someone offered me the EMG Zakk wylde set, I refused because I thought I can't put active pickups on the guitar as it is, though the same person who suggested the pickups showed me the video at the end of the post.
So, can I put the EMG ZW set on an Epiphone's LP?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F8h457SUMU
Last edited by NatiScream at Mar 25, 2013,
Quote by NatiScream
Sorry for reviving the thread, but I need another question

I was about to order the Alternative 8 and 59 a few days ago, and someone offered me the EMG Zakk wylde set, I refused because I thought I can't put active pickups on the guitar as it is, though the same person who suggested the pickups showed me the video at the end of the post.
So, can I put the EMG ZW set on an Epiphone's LP?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F8h457SUMU

Um, yes. Epiphone makes a ZW Les Paul with the sig pup set. If you can get the set cheap it's worth a try, though I still recommend the 57/66 set or JHs. If you go with the ZW set the 18v mod is a must, and very easy to do upon install.

Edit: You must ensure you get the electronics WITH the ZW set...otherwise acquire the package separately (diff pots, wiring harnesses, cap, battery clip). Any new set of EMG actives will come with everything you need.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Last edited by dkunick at Mar 25, 2013,
None of those. Look at the Custom 5 (or Custom) in the bridge and a '59 in the neck.

You're overshooting output for your needs, I think.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X