Hi.

I'm looking to invest in a new overdrive pedal (I currently have a Diamond J-Drive) and I've been looking at the Ibanez Tubescreamer to get a Strokes-esque kind of sound. I was wondering what alternatives there are to this pedal which sound similar to the Ibanez Tubescreamer, if not better?

My budget is probably around maximum £200.

Thanks.
there are so many TubeScreamer pedals out there. Most of them are under your budget so maybe look into the Maxon OD9. When it comes to a TS pedal more money won't necessarily get you a better sounding pedal, I know guys who if had that high of a budget would buy two Ibanez pedals or 7 Bad Monkeys
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
I have been looking into picking up a VL pedal, I know the Sparkle Drive is really popular, they have some good sounding boxes. Doesn't the SD have a blend knob that mixes the clean signal in with it?
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by gerraguitar
I have been looking into picking up a VL pedal, I know the Sparkle Drive is really popular, they have some good sounding boxes. Doesn't the SD have a blend knob that mixes the clean signal in with it?

Yes I think it does!

Do you know of any mainstream bands which use this pedal?
Personally I prefer the Fulltone OCD to the TS.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Bad Monkey. Honestly, it surpasses Tubescreamer by having separate knobs for lows and highs instead of mere Tone knob that every other Tubescreamer or 1:1 copies have. But its still for all intents and purposes a tubescreamer and does everything it needs to without paying for botique (sp?) name.

I honestly see no point in buying Maxon or Ibanez equivalents and paying triple the price just because of the name on a device based on decades old design and so simple that even Behringer gets it right with their tubescreamer clone.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 19, 2013,
Quote by gerraguitar
there are so many TubeScreamer pedals out there. Most of them are under your budget so maybe look into the Maxon OD9. When it comes to a TS pedal more money won't necessarily get you a better sounding pedal, I know guys who if had that high of a budget would buy two Ibanez pedals or 7 Bad Monkeys

Maxon actually own the patents and made the original electronics and circuit boards in the first TS9s, which are now daftly expensive! When you open the old ibanez pedals, it says maxon on the electronics.

So if you're buying new, Maxon is definitely the way to go, as they're the closest to the original Ibanez TS9 sound.

I've tried em and they're awesome!
crowther hotcake every time.
Furnder Turlurcurstur '72 Cursturm
A tuner
RAT!@#?1!
Oloctro Hormonox Doloxo Momory Mon
Fenders Deluxes Reverbs.
Quote by Darkflame
I bought a MXR GT-OD back when it had a custom shop decal and I still use it as much. It's one of my favorite pedals and can be used as a boost and as a standalone light gain pedal.
Highly recommended, been using it for 5 years.

I recommend that pedal too, I've also got the custom shop decal one. I'm using it for every solo I want, it really gives some extra beef to my lead sound and a real singing voice too. It works as a standalone mild distortion I'd say.

I don't think the pedal has changed much with being a "regular" model. I wish they changed the LEDs...
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

way huge green rhino, hardwire cm-2, visual sound route 808 to name a few.

Technically the CM-2 is the same thing as a bad monkey, but with far superior tonal control , higher volume output, and true bypass.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Darkflame
I bought a MXR GT-OD back when it had a custom shop decal and I still use it as much. It's one of my favorite pedals and can be used as a boost and as a standalone light gain pedal.
Highly recommended, been using it for 5 years.

This.

I don't have the custom shop decal version of the GT-OD, but it still kicks ass. One of the best OD pedals I've used, would highly reccommend.
Paul C Audio Timmy
Klon KTR
Rawk Pedals Light/Nite Drive
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Timmy, ocd, the visual sound od's, boss makes s couple of good od's, the voodoo lab sparkle drive mod is awesome, Lovepedal Kalamazoo. There are a lot of really good overdrives out there.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Maxon OD-9/SD-9. They made pedals for Ibanez back in the day.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
GFS Greenie Classic, or Twin Overdrive if you want both an 808 and TS9 in one pedal. The Greenie Classic is $50 and is basically an exact clone of the 808, right down to using new old stock chips from the 70s; the only difference is that they have a few different modes (classic, fat, tight) and the tone knob has more range. Has true bypass too.
(Invalid img)

or

if you want something a little different.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Mephaphil
Personally I prefer the Fulltone OCD to the TS.

They don't accomplish near the same thing. If you're looking for a boost to tighten up your amp, the OCD is one of the worst ODs around. And if you're looking for a standalone Marshall in a box, the TS is one of the worst around.

Quote by funkymonk1985
Maxon actually own the patents and made the original electronics and circuit boards in the first TS9s, which are now daftly expensive! When you open the old ibanez pedals, it says maxon on the electronics.

So if you're buying new, Maxon is definitely the way to go, as they're the closest to the original Ibanez TS9 sound.

I've tried em and they're awesome!

There are no patents related to the Tubescreamer. Current Maxon and Ibanez pedals are exactly the same, except the Maxon board is about .2mm thicker, and the Maxon is true bypass.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Sakke
I recommend that pedal too, I've also got the custom shop decal one. I'm using it for every solo I want, it really gives some extra beef to my lead sound and a real singing voice too. It works as a standalone mild distortion I'd say.

I don't think the pedal has changed much with being a "regular" model. I wish they changed the LEDs...

Change the LED? Why?

My only complaint is how hard the switch is.
For other booteeq content... check out the NOC3 Pure Drive.

Its Bass knob changes the range of frequencies being dumped.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The Digitech CM-2 is a better Bad Monkey. These can be had for $60 used at GC. It's basically a Bad Monkey with a switch that allows a more modern aggressive voicing. I bought mine for some more EQ options in front of the AMP. It's cheap and much better in front of my amp as a clean boost than my Maxon OD808.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83hmC9T-gPk
id love to see how hilariously simple the circuit diagram for these is
Went for the Voodoo Sparkle Drive MOD and arrived today, will let you know how it goes.

Cheers for all the tips.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 21, 2013,
Are you sure he wasn't being sarcastic about the wiring diagrams for the Digitech BM and Hardwire? Those are PCB's
i second the green rhino. incredible pedal. crowther is also very good but not really a tuber clone.

CMAT MODS signa drive is the answer. not directly a 100% tuber clone, had 3 modes 1 is pretty much a spot on tuberscreamer with a slightly different flavor of course.

for under $150 i really dont think anything can touch it. not even close. perhaps a green rhino. or something cool i dont know about yet....
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
One of the Strokes' guitarists (I think Albert) uses the Jekyll and Hyde pedal. It's a distortion and overdrive pedal, and I believe the overdrive is a Tubescreamer clone.
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1