I want to try some heavier strings on my fender strat but it has a maple neck & fretboard and people have warned me not to use heavy string on it because it has a maple neck & fretboard.

are they right? or can i try some heavy strings? i just dont want to ruin my guitar.
Last edited by srvstrat at Mar 19, 2013,
It should not be a problem. What string gauge do you have in mind?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I'm sure it's safe to assume that he means fretboard, Sullinger.

Also, you're perfectly fine using heavy gauge strings on a maple fretboard.
Quote by hminh87
It should not be a problem. What string gauge do you have in mind?

I was thinking .11's at first maybe something liek this?

http://www.ernieball.com/products/electric-strings/1712/power-slinky-nickel-wound

I'm not really sure what would be best to get a nice blues tone. Any suggestions? i've been buying ernie ball for a while but I'm open to other string brands too.

EDIT: actualy I might just try out .10's like these http://www.ernieball.com/products/electric-strings/1728/regular-slinky-nickel-wound
Last edited by srvstrat at Mar 19, 2013,
You will have to adjust the truss rod if you're going from .9 to .11
Best take it to a guitar shop and let them do it for a fee if you don't know what you're doing.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

If you have a floating tremolo, you will also need to adjust that. I have been trying a bunch of different string sizes recently and have to make adjustments. Like he said, you will probably need to adjust the truss if moving away from the stock Fender 9s.

You might want to try the heavy bottom strings in the orange package. Those were pretty cool.
Quote by srvstrat
I want to try some heavier strings on my fender strat but it has a maple neck & fretboard and people have warned me not to use heavy string on it because it has a maple neck & fretboard.

what people? name and shame!

seriously, though, I can't see it doing any harm (within reason, if you put cablecar cables on your strat it might do it harm ). Maple is pretty strong, i think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
SRV routinely used strings the size of telephone cables on his Strats without a problem. Unless you plan to put bass strings on your guitar (yes, people have tried it) then you should be just fine. Your truss rod may need a tweak, but that's not a big deal.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
If dick dale's strat could survive .016s I think you'll be fine.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not