Hi guys.

My sisters bass has a problem which we are struggling to diagnose. It is an ESP LTD. I am not sure what model but it has active ESP pick ups.

The problem basically is that it sounds like a distressed cow when played through an amp. It just sounds like a loud moo of pain.

We tried a different cable and the same happened, so it is not the cable.

We tried a different bass and it worked fine. So it is not the amp.

We look in the electronics cavity of the bass and we could not see any loose wires or obvious faults. But maybe it is some thing small or deeper inside.

Do you guys have any ideas of what could be causing this?

Could it be the pick ups?

Thanks in advanced for any help.
Try changing the batteries? My Hagstrom gets a bit like that when the battery is about to give up.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
It could be an improper wiring connection. Sometimes, the people who build these things get carried away with the soldering. They put so much of the stuff on a connection that it spreads a little too far, and makes a new (and improper) connection that can really screw with things. If a new battery does not fix the problem, have a good technician check out the wiring connections. They may be solid and tight, but that doesn't mean they're all supposed to be there.

Good luck.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
...or you could just use the special sound of your bass and make a cowcore band.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
I tried out an active bass some time ago and it sounded like what you described it. They told me the batteries were really old and needed to be changed, so maybe the batteries are the problem.
Quote by TheNameOfNoone
...or you could just use the special sound of your bass and make a cowcore band.

Cows don't need a bass. They already come with horns.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Have you tried Eq the bass and the amp differently?
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by jkielq91
Its not an eq or tone thing. Its a definite electrical problem. The moo noise happens even if the bass is laying an plucked on the bed.

I am confused--even if its unplugged and laying down it makes the noise? EQ is the same if you hold the bass or place it on a bed.

Be aware that even "new" batteries if they have been in the store for a while may be "old". Try another 9v battery and see if that makes a difference.
Quote by anarkee
I am confused--even if its unplugged and laying down it makes the noise? EQ is the same if you hold the bass or place it on a bed.

Be aware that even "new" batteries if they have been in the store for a while may be "old". Try another 9v battery and see if that makes a difference.

I said unplucked not unplugged. The bass is plugged in, the amp is turn on but the bass is laying flat and not being played, but the noise still happens.
why don't you make it easy for us and record it and post the video/audio file?