So I think I'm gonna finally get a drum machine and I'm deciding between the Boss Dr770, Alesis SR18, and Zoom RT223. I haven't tried any of them because the instrument stores near where I live don't have drum machines. I've considered the Zoom R24 since it's a recording thing w/ machine built-in, but it's too expensive. Right now I'm leaning towards the zoom 223 since it has sampled drums (from what I've read)

Has anyone had experience with any of these? I'm mainly looking for a machine with decent 'natural' sounding drums, maybe some electric sounds too. The music style I play revolves around the post-punk/shoegaze/ambient areas...Think the Cure, MBV, Slowdive, Pale Saints, Smiths, etc.

I have considered drum software, but I don't want to be glued to the computer whenever I'm writing or practicing...I get distracted easily and I lose inspiration whenever my eyes hit the screen. Also, I'm running a rather incomplete setup of Arch Linux so software is out of the question. I have a windows machine, but I don't like windows.

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions other than those, feel free to list them.

Danke!
You are in the wrong forum bro. Try having a look through this thread from the drums forum here at UG. (maybe helpful) https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1428757

Or you can try posting in the Gear and Accessories thread
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33

This forum (Musician Talk) is mostly musicians discussing musical ideas and analysis, music theory, composition, improvisation and other things along the same kind of lines.

Personally I don't, and have never used a drum machine. I use my computer, Logic, Superior Drummer 2.0, and a MOTU firewire interface.
Si
Quote by Green_Ghoul
I'm mainly looking for a machine with decent 'natural' sounding drums, maybe some electric sounds too. The music style I play revolves around the post-punk/shoegaze/ambient areas...Think the Cure, MBV, Slowdive, Pale Saints, Smiths, etc.

I have considered drum software, but I don't want to be glued to the computer whenever I'm writing or practicing...I get distracted easily and I lose inspiration whenever my eyes hit the screen.

Also, I'm running a rather incomplete setup of Arch Linux so software is out of the question. I have a windows machine, but I don't like windows.

Quote by 20Tigers
I use my computer, Logic, Superior Drummer 2.0, and a MOTU firewire interface.

(Invalid img)
modes are a social construct
Last edited by Hail at Mar 21, 2013,
I use a Zoom RT323 on all the recordings in my profile, you can decide for yourself how it sounds. Not sure about the 223 you mentioned, but I know that the drums built in to the R24 DAW are the same as my drum machine.

If the R24 is too expensive, see if you can find the R8 - exactly the same thing, just smaller & cheaper. Avoid the R16, for some reason they didn't include the drum machine on that model. Zoom's older multitrackers often have the same drum capability, so if you hit up ebay you should find something used that you can afford.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Hail, your redundancy in that post is annoying. If you aren't going to help, then don't bother posting. No need to be a douche since it doesn't help anyone besides your ego.

Anyway, thanks to 20tigers and gary for actually being helpful. Gary, I think it was your post in another one of my topics that sparked my interest in the r24. I looked at the r16 and figured that the r8 wouldn't have drums either. I'll just make a new topic in a section that's more appropriate.