Hey Everyone,

I just got a John Mayer signature strat and I am unable to use the whammy bar. It does not appear to be blocked off by a piece of wood or metal so I don't think that is the problem. The guitar has 5 springs in the back, but also I think I should be able to move the whammy bar at least a little. Does anyone have any experience with the John Mayer Signature Strat and know what the problem could be?

Thank you
Pull two springs out and see what happens. You should have to adjust the trem after you do it. ie the screws going into the body will have to be tightened
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thank you for your reply.

I know three springs would make it easier to use the tremolo bar, but I would prefer to keep 5. It seems like even with five springs it should be possible to use the tremolo bar, but with my strat it seems like something is blocking it from moving because it will not move. Anymore force and I would probably break the whammy bar. I've looked at the back and I cannot seem to find anything, but i've heard sometimes they put a metal piece in there to block it. Does anyone know where I would find this piece if it is there?
The guitar is supposed to be that way. You need to use a bit of force when pushing down on it to achieve the effect. Like Cath said, it can be setup with a 3-spring configuration but the entire guitar would have to be re-setup to have an effective floating trem. Unless you really, truly see yourself needing a whammy, then keeping it flush against the body would give the least headaches.

Just don't pull it up/away from the body.

EDIT: If the required force is making you feel uncomfortable, you can unscrew the "claw" that's holding the female side of the springs from inside the rear body route. That should make it a bit easier.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Last edited by cdr_salamander at Mar 20, 2013,
Just try it and see. You're looking for a fault aren't you? Removing springs and making adjustments should reveal to you what is actually happening. I'm not telling you to run it with 3 springs, I'm telling you to do some fault finding.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Actually, just Google'd it and apparently they come blocked now. It's a piece of metal that's somewhere inside the tremolo assembly that's supposedly unnoticable if not looking for it.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
And if you're pulling springs off and trying to make adjustments you'll see it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thank you for your help guys. I'm new to electric guitars and I literally have no idea what i'm doing and where to find that piece. So just take some springs out and I should find it? Also that wouldn't mess my guitar up when I replace the springs?
Photo of the trem cavity? Looking down at the backside of the trem?
Here's a picture of the back. I removed springs and I don't think it is blocked off. I unscrewed the claw I believe it is called and now its easier to use the whammy bar. Is there any ideal length that the gap between the claw should be?
Attachments:
IMG_8591.jpg
Adjust it to taste, just keep in mind that those screws aren't long. If it's easier to use now, then I would say keep it where it's out. Stripping out the screw holes is not a fun thing to deal with.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger

Taylor 414CE