I don't see why not, but I am wondering if someone has it how much gain it actually has and how thick chords sound? I am into Magic Potion tones as well so I think this is the right pedal.

What do you think?

Thanks.
Raconteurs Fan Guy
Big Muff Pi, surely????

also: i think a lot of his sound is due to his fender amps, especially the clean and overdriven parts, and that would be hard to emulate with pedals alone
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
What amp, guitar, pickups, effects are you using?

His Raconteur tone is pretty cool, it's probably his best work so far, IMO.

'At least' implies you think it's the low benchmark of his tonal achievements. I think it's much better than anything else he's done.

Anyway, answer the above questions, the amp is most of the sound.

What are Magic Potion Tones?
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Yea he uses a Big Muff, Fender Twin, Gretsch guitar with humbuckers, Whammy pedals.

Also that mad Airline red and white dual humbucker guitar.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Mar 19, 2013,
Sorry about how I phrased what I meant I just mean that the Raconteurs is different (most songs) in tone as opposed to the some of the old White Stripes stuff like Blue Orchid. But really I just meant I am wondering if this pedal is considered a higher gain fuzz or because it is copying the russian muff if they are more medium gain type of pedal.

I am playing either a PRS Custom Se 22, RGA42FM or a Jay Turser Strat copy (not much though) through either my Vox AC15C1 or my Valveking 112.

For people who own the pedal how much gain is available?
Btw I was referring to some of the Black Keys stuff albums like Thickfreakness and Magic Potion.
Overall I would agree that Raconteurs is his best group (I am the Raconteurs Fan Guy) but the White Stripes and Dead Weather both have great collection of work. Just throwing that out there.
Raconteurs Fan Guy
Because I see a lot of people saying they like the Mojo Hand version better. I just don't know if this pedal is too dark also for the right tone I want.
Raconteurs Fan Guy
i sold mine recently. it won't get you white stripes tones - you really need an NYC muff to get there (i use a basic audio tri-ram and it gets close enough). don't listen to much raconteurs so can't help you there. hoof is the absolute shiznit for dan auerbach tones though. and it doesn't have a huge amount of gain, really. i heard that a couple of hoofs that dan has are modded for higher gain.
All the bands you listed use the Muff. That's what you want.

Muffs are just loads of low end gain, you may want something more middy, but I felt the EJ Fuzz Face was more towards that direction. The Pi is cheap and is also a clone but quite accurate, so I'm not sure if there's a need for the clone of a clone and it's what they all use.

However, if you think that with your setup, and to your ears you think that pedal can get you there, you might as well try it. I've never used the Hoof, I feel my Muff gets me there quite well.

I've heard Magic Potion, good album. Didn't get what you meant there.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Mar 19, 2013,
Okay thanks a lot
I should be able to use it with a bit of amp distortion and push it over the top so to speak.
I have one on its way right now.
I am a big Black Keys fan should be okay.
Raconteurs Fan Guy
Quote by NakedInTheRain
i sold mine recently. it won't get you white stripes tones - you really need an NYC muff to get there (i use a basic audio tri-ram and it gets close enough). don't listen to much raconteurs so can't help you there. hoof is the absolute shiznit for dan auerbach tones though. and it doesn't have a huge amount of gain, really. i heard that a couple of hoofs that dan has are modded for higher gain.

You should, man. Their second album is a modern classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw-cuyNAcQ8
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

This album is good, I honestly like their first album better I really like Broken Boy Soldier, Level, Hands, and Blue Veins is one of their best songs.
Hopefully they will make another.
Raconteurs Fan Guy
I thought he played old silvertone amps?
Gibson SG - Rose
Fender Stratocaster Mexican-Lucy
Morgan Monroe 32-20 Acoustic
Epiphone Blues Custom 30
Peavey Delta Blues 15
Luther Drive
Russian Black Big Muff pi
Nano Muff
1982 NYC Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby