There's one of these floating around on my local CL for $200. It's in pretty rough shape, but according to the add, it works and the tubes are relatively new.

I read that this is pretty much a JCM 800, but a lot of review said that they have a brightness issue.

Would it be a good idea to jump on this?
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
that's a really good deal. I've never played one but the ones I see in my area (2 or 3 so far) run at least $500.
seems suspiciously low to me.

edit: that's for the newer model. like most peaveys there was an older model by the same name.
I know nothing about those.
Last edited by ihartfood at Mar 20, 2013,
It's definately got to be an older one, some of the corners on it have rusted, so it definately has some age.

Thanks for the reply though!
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
They're similar to a 2203 but with enough differences in the circuit to make them sound different. Not too hard to convert it to 2203 specs electronically. It's quite certainly based on it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I would grab it although its probably stolen.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I would buy it. In the worst case scenario, you won't like it and you will sell it for a normal price and make some profit.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Old Peaveys are the bomb. If you are looking for a Marshall-alike, it's a good grab.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Yes the original 1980's Butcher is very close to a JCM 800. They are good amps if that is the sound you want.

I prefer the Peavey VTM over the Butcher, but only because the VTM is basically a hotroded Butcher
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I haven't seen a Butcher in a long time, the old model anyways. $200 actually seems a little high for it to be honest, it's successor was the VTM (which smoked 'em in every way) and they go for around $300 for a mint one. VTM's is one of my favorite amps of all time and sound phenomenal for the price, check out Baroness's first two albums to hear one in action. Those albums were recorded almost entirely with a VTM.

Butchers are nice amps though, I would try to get it for $150 or trade some little gear for it. If you like balls out Marshalls you'll enjoy the Butcher.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]