sorry for the bad english.
ive just bought a guitar (ibanez rg2620ze) and i want to buy another for low tuning.
i love playing breaking benjamin which play a lot in low tuning.
drop d dosent sound so good like drop c or drop bb.
what do i need in order to play low? a guitar build for that, strings, larger neck?
when u do a set up for drop d, the string wouldnt buzz?
You don't need anything special. Any guitar can be set up for any tuning you want. The key is getting it set up correctly. Most guitars will come set up for E Standard with a common string gauge like .009 or .010. If you want to tune low then you'll need to set the guitar up for whatever tuning it is you wish to use and you will probably want to switch to a different string gauge (though this is not necessary and just a matter of personal preference).

The best thing usually is to look for a guitar similar to what you already have, or even just buy the exact same guitar again. Have one set up for your regular tuning and one set up for your lower tuning. That way they will feel the same and sound pretty much the same but you've got the option of using different tunings.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
For drop C and similar you probably want to grab some 11-56 strings if you can find them. The relative tension will be very similar to 9s or 10s at E standard.

Your guitar has a tremolo, which means you might have difficulty setting it up properly if you are new to all this. You are going to need to adjust the truss rod, string action, intonation and the springs in the tremolo cavity to make sure that the bridge is level, neck relief correct, and string height and tuning are good. If you have never done a setup before I would recommend doing a lot of research on the subject, watching tutorial videos etc.

If you aren't confident in your ability to learn this or do it, take it to a guitar tech and specify what strings you want put on and in what tuning. This should get you what you want, but be aware that guitars with floating tremolos simply aren't equipped to switch tunings quickly and easily and if you want to switch tunings frequently you should probably have multiple guitars, or at least learn how to do setups yourself.

Also be aware that some techs out there are actually pretty terrible and some won't actually do what you want, yet will still take your money (i.e. "drop C is too low for that guitar, I put some 10s on it and tuned it to standard, play some blues kiddo"). I hate to say it but many guitar techs out there are scam artists or at least just older and will look at you funny if you start talking about low tunings, bring in your 8-string, etc.
Last edited by sea` at Mar 20, 2013,
Thank u for the replies..
My dad knows the best guitar tech guy.. ill go to him, i belive he'll do a great job..
I already have another guitar,old, in 200$, sounds fine ill try to do a low tuning set up.

i dont know which tuning to do, what are the popular? i want one in betweeb drop bb to drop d becouse drop bb will not sound best as you explained.
Why bother getting a guitar for drop tuning if you're not even sure what you're going to use it for? Only get it if you find yourself dropping tunings a lot. I used to play in drop tunings a lot until I couldn't be bothered to tune it down as much any more and left it in standard/drop D.

I plan on getting an AXL Badwater 1216 soon. Already have an AXL and they aren't bad for the price, once set up. Yes, it's not going to play like a £1000 Les Paul, but for a ~£150 Les Paul copy it's got:

- a mahogany body (yes, yes I know it won't be the best mahogany in the world but that price again)

-set neck

-two volume and two tone knobs (I know this isn't a huge deal, but the amount of low end guitars with only one set of these is annoying, I like the tonal range you can achieve with two of each.

I think if I swap out the pick-ups (as nobody exactly raves about EMG designed) and possibly sort the tuners and get it set up properly out I could have a decent guitar for drop tunings for around £250. Well worth it IMO.
Would you pay for UG?

Quote by Duffman123
Fuck no lol.

If I want to pay for awful news articles I'll buy the Daily Mail.
Quote by motixlost
sorry for the bad english.
ive just bought a guitar (ibanez rg2620ze) and i want to buy another for low tuning.
i love playing breaking benjamin which play a lot in low tuning.
drop d dosent sound so good like drop c or drop bb.
what do i need in order to play low? a guitar build for that, strings, larger neck?
when u do a set up for drop d, the string wouldnt buzz?

ideally a baritone guitar would be best for drop B or lower. of course there are drawbacks to them as well (longer scale, unable to do standard tunings etc.)

alternatively you could just use a regular 25 /12 scale guitar, but you need to put strings no smaller than 13-60 gauge for drop B/A#, i recommend daddarios baritone light, get something with a wound G, a plain G at those gauges is hard as **** to play IMO.

unfortunately you are going to have a hard time getting it set to play in multiple drop tunings, (at least in my experience). strings and setups that work well for drop B will be too difficult to play going to drop C, and drop C setups will be loose and buzzy in drop B, its best to stick with one tuning.