Hey everyone,
My birthday is coming up and I'm considering getting the POD HD500. I want it for its versatility (I'm in a band and we play literally any genre of music) and for it's big selection of on board effects.
I currently have an Orange Dark Terror that I run through a PPC212-OB cab.
The guitar I'll be using it with is an Ibanez RG Prestige.

I was wondering if you guys would recommend the HD500 and if so what would be the best way to use it live? Through my Amp or through the PA?

Cheers
Unless you don't like your amp and cab, an M13 would probably be a better choice.

If you want to use the HD's amp models, you'll want to run it in 4 cable method so you can bypass your amp's preamp if you want. If you want to bypass your amp's preamp completely, you can just run the HD500 into the Orange's FX loop. You may also want to disable any cabinet simulation if you're using (and liking) your Orange cabinet.

The HD500 is very powerful and sounds excellent. However, its power and flexibility come with a cost...it's quite complex to tweak and get setup just right. There are patches you can download to make things easier but there's no guarantee you'll be satisfied with them (some are very good though).
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
Last edited by Deadpool_25 at Mar 20, 2013,
I do want to use its HD modelling, my guitar tutor has one that he runs through it studio monitors and I fell in love with the sound. My main worry was if it wouo hold up in a live situation.

Cheers for the speedy reply
Turn off any amp/cabs sims and use it as an effects box with your amp and it will work fine. I'll agree that the M13 is probably a better unit for that specifically, but the HD500 has an expression pedal and vastly more flexibility if you decide to use amp/cab sims direct to PA later on.

As for which is 'better' (direct or amped), that's a subjective choice that only you can make.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
i have friends that will run it both ways. they'll just adjust the level between the tracks to blend the signals.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Dillonski
I do want to use its HD modelling, my guitar tutor has one that he runs through it studio monitors and I fell in love with the sound. My main worry was if it wouo hold up in a live situation.

Cheers for the speedy reply

You're welcome

Yes, it'll hold up just fine in a live situation. The HD500 is a bit more intuitive to use direct into a PA because its easy to get confused about how to configure it with an actual amp. You just have to keep in mind all the stuff it's simulating. For example, if you're using a pre-amp model, do you really want to run that through your real preamp? Do you really want to run a model of a Mesa cab through a real Orange cab, when the Orange has its own unique character already? What makes it tricky is that there's no "correct" answers. You need to try different configurations out until you find one or two you really like. And that can take a long time.

Don't misunderstand me though, the HD500 is an awesome unit. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one (which would be my third) if I thought I could afford to spend time dialing it in, as opposed to spending that time practicing. Well, that's not actually true--if I was going that route again, I'd get an Axe-FX Ultra.

Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
I would try both ways first to see which one you like better. I have one myself and i love it. if you dont run it through a PA. you can probably just run it through your amp and mic your amp. The other thing is the HD500 works amazing in my opinion with a Fender Frontman 212R 100W 2x12 Guitar Combo Amp. I hope that helps. Best of luck.
Last edited by Nkidd92 at Apr 13, 2013,