Hey guys!

So I'm considering applying to a music school to get myself a degree, and if possible, I was hoping for some community feedback on the options that I have.

I'm looking for a prestigious, cheap and english medium school.
I want to study both contemporary and classical music. I plan on focusing on songwriting maybe with a minor in something else(performance/production)
I'd like exposure to many genres and styles of music, as opposed to focus on fewer things.
Berklee is like $40k a year which is impossible for me to pay. I'm looking for other options, preferably somewhere in Europe? Many european schools tend to be far less expensive. I'd also love to have the experience of living in a European country!

I am currently studying Hebrew so that I can get into the Rimon School of Jazz and Contemporary Music in Israel, which, ideally would be where I want to go since my family is in Israel. However, they teach only in Hebrew and so I'm looking for affordable alternatives.

I can't exactly give a definite price range, this not being a black and white issue, but Berklee, at $40K a year is far too expensive. In comparison, Rimon is about $6k a year.

If there is anyone who has knowledge in this area, it would help me so much if you could share your information.

Thanks in advance! I appreciate the help.
Have a nice day!
What kind of career are you looking to go into?

If it is something like teaching music in school, it's worth it (and required) to get a degree.

If it is most other things, the degree may very well be a waste of time and money.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
What kind of career are you looking to go into?

If it is something like teaching music in school, it's worth it (and required) to get a degree.

If it is most other things, the degree may very well be a waste of time and money.

Ideally, I'd love to write and perform my own songs.
Since we don't live in a world of ideals, I'm aiming to become a songwriter.

Could you give me a few more details as to why it may/may not be a waste?
Basically, music is one of the fields (along with other arts like painting, sculpting, film, writing, etc) where the actual degree itself is worth next to nothing. It's entirely your skills and connections (displayed by your portfolio of work and references) that determine if you would be able to get a job.

Now this is tricky, because music school will allow you to establish connections and give you access to valuable resources (such as instructors and high end equipment). This becomes one of those things where it depends on what you have to get out of school versus what you put in in terms of time and money.

Many people go to music school and don't learn anything and don't make connections. This essentially equates to almost a complete waste. Some people manage to learn and make connections, but still don't get a job due to a lousy portfolio. Some people, even with connections and a portfolio, still don't get jobs because there are simply not enough jobs in the industry available.

Honestly I'd advise that unless you really think you can learn a lot and can make connections there that you otherwise could not make (since it's perfectly possible to learn and make connections outside of school) to the point of justifying the time and money spent, then go for it. Otherwise, there's a chance that you can come out of music school with nothing to show for it other than $40000+ worth of debt.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Basically, music is one of the fields (along with other arts like painting, sculpting, film, writing, etc) where the actual degree itself is worth next to nothing. It's entirely your skills and connections (displayed by your portfolio of work and references) that determine if you would be able to get a job.

Now this is tricky, because music school will allow you to establish connections and give you access to valuable resources (such as instructors and high end equipment). This becomes one of those things where it depends on what you have to get out of school versus what you put in in terms of time and money.

Many people go to music school and don't learn anything and don't make connections. This essentially equates to almost a complete waste. Some people manage to learn and make connections, but still don't get a job due to a lousy portfolio. Some people, even with connections and a portfolio, still don't get jobs because there are simply not enough jobs in the industry available.

Honestly I'd advise that unless you really think you can learn a lot and can make connections there that you otherwise could not make (since it's perfectly possible to learn and make connections outside of school) to the point of justifying the time and money spent, then go for it. Otherwise, there's a chance that you can come out of music school with nothing to show for it other than $40000+ worth of debt.

I see. Thanks for your time!
I'll keep your points in mind while making a decision