I build monster customs. Love the higher pot values such as a 1 meg tone pot along side a 500k volume pot. As for tone....Lets just say it like it very versatile. I use 6 position rotary switches with 6 caps usually. What's your angle? If you like to build. Add me, share pics, and join my group. I'm sure we can all learn from each other!
Last edited by candyflipper7 at Mar 20, 2013,
It really depends on the mods I'm making. Most guitars get 500k or 250k from me. I've only put 1Meg in one guitar for someone else.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I actually use a direct-out switch on my RG520 for the Super Distortion in the bridge. I like the added bite that it gives. And for my RG770DX, I have a no-load tone pot, so the pot is bypassed at 10. I usually use 500k pots for humbuckers and sometimes single coils(if it's an HSS config).

I will be using a 1 meg pot for the guitar I'm currently building(7 string bridge pickup that I'll be winding myself). That guitar will also feature a 2 position tone switch so I can snap the switch to get a thicker, smoother sound for leads and sweeps(since it won't have a neck pickup). I thought about adding a varitone rotary switch, but I figured I'd end up finding one capacitor I liked more than the others and never touching it again, so it would eventually be pointless.

Also, a pot or a switch can be used quite easily for an onboard passive fuzz. Anyone could swap the cap on a tone pot with 2 diodes to make it in about 5 minutes. More info here.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Mar 20, 2013,