Alright, so this is my baby. A blue Ibanez GSA60. Manufactured in Indonesia in November of 2002. The one thing I need to do to it that probably should've been done before everything else is intonation. Playing a Dm on it sounds like a dying cat, but most of the neck is pretty well tuned.

What I've done:
Lowered bridge for action
Block off bridge for tuning
Aesthetic things (knobs, humbucker cover)

I don't know if I want to replace the pickups because the sound I get from my rig with this guitar is pretty sweet. If anything I'd just get another guitar. Although, I'm not closing my mind to the idea of replacing them, especially if it's a good price.

What would you do next if your baby was a GSA60 that you planned to keep forever and were very attached to? Resolder weak points? Line bridge with aluminum? Replace selector switch? Knobs?
If it was me I would probably get some nicer hardware in black. That way, you don't have to worry yourself too much about not having intonated the old bridge

Also, you're supposed to line the control cavity with aluminium, not the bridge...
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Mar 20, 2013,
Quote by Good Ol' Ramos

What would you do next if your baby was a GSA60 that you planned to keep forever and were very attached to? Resolder weak points? Line bridge with aluminum? Replace selector switch? Knobs?

Coincidentally, i own this very model, even in the same colour.

I would replace all the pickups and electronics, block off the trem (or buy a new bridge), get locking tuners and put roller string trees on it.

That's IF i were to keep the guitar forever. In reality, my guitar's bridge is ruined (knife edges are all chewed up), the pickups are god awful (acoustically it sounds crap too), it never stays in tune and the frets are completely shot. The pots and the jack constantly loosen too. But it isn't all that surprising though. It is only a cheap guitar.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 20, 2013,
Part of my motivation for getting this guitar spruced up is to prove that with the right touch and a little bit of love, you don't need a $1000 or even $500 guitar to sound good. If it's true that how you play an instrument has just as much an impact on all the equipment, then this thing will rival any Strat once I'm done with it. Yes, I realize that sounds either arrogant or ignorant.

Quote by eddiehimself
If it was me I would probably get some nicer hardware in black. That way, you don't have to worry yourself too much about not having intonated the old bridge

Also, you're supposed to line the control cavity with aluminium, not the bridge...

Haha that was a total brain fart on my part. Would lining the cavity even be worth it? I've heard hit/miss stories of other people doing it on various guitars that needed it.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Coincidentally, i own this very model, even in the same colour.

I would replace all the pickups and electronics, block off the trem (or buy a new bridge), get locking tuners and put roller string trees on it.

That's IF i were to keep the guitar forever. In reality, my guitar's bridge is ruined (knife edges are all chewed up), the pickups are god awful (acoustically it sounds crap too), it never stays in tune and the frets are completely shot. The pots and the jack constantly loosen too. But it isn't all that surprising though. It is only a cheap guitar.

I actually did put rolling string trees on it already. The trem is definitely blocked off already. I haven't considered a new bridge, and I think there's other things I can do before I begin doing that research.

The pickups might be bad, but I haven't had enough experience with high quality guitars to really judge how bad/good they are. All I know is that I like the tone I get out of my guitar/rig, and I would LOVE the tone if it was properly intonated.

Another point of interest is that I have it tuned to D standard. It's been that way for a couple of months now and it actually helped the intonation problem a bit.
Quote by Good Ol' Ramos
Part of my motivation for getting this guitar spruced up is to prove that with the right touch and a little bit of love, you don't need a $1000 or even $500 guitar to sound good. If it's true that how you play an instrument has just as much an impact on all the equipment, then this thing will rival any Strat once I'm done with it. Yes, I realize that sounds either arrogant or ignorant.

Well the question is, do you like how it plays now? Have you compared it to any £500 or £1000 guitars? Because there really is no point in fixing up a POS guitar; it's always going to be a POS. There are nice-playing guitars to be had for less than £500, but this really just looks like a beginner-level guitar to me.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by Good Ol' Ramos

I actually did put rolling string trees on it already. The trem is definitely blocked off already. I haven't considered a new bridge, and I think there's other things I can do before I begin doing that research.

Imo, the bridge is one of the worst 2-point systems i have ever come across.
The pickups might be bad, but I haven't had enough experience with high quality guitars to really judge how bad/good they are. All I know is that I like the tone I get out of my guitar/rig, and I would LOVE the tone if it was properly intonated.

You have no idea, man. If you really play the guitar against something with more high-end pickups you really do realize just how crappy the stock ones in the GIO are. I played the same guitar against my Gibson V and the result is completely laughable.

And a guitar should always be intonated properly. It shouldn't be something people have to want out of a guitar, a guitar should have good intonation by default no matter how cheap it is.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by eddiehimself
Well the question is, do you like how it plays now? Have you compared it to any £500 or £1000 guitars? Because there really is no point in fixing up a POS guitar; it's always going to be a POS. There are nice-playing guitars to be had for less than £500, but this really just looks like a beginner-level guitar to me.

It's absolutely a beginner guitar, and it has given me roadblocks for a long time. I really want a Strat, and I don't feel like wasting money on some "in-between" guitar. Even a MIM Strat had the density, tone and feel that I love. I want to get something that'll accomodate my growing skill, and I figured the most cost-effective way would be to upgrade the probems on this guitar.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Imo, the bridge is one of the worst 2-point systems i have ever come across.

You have no idea, man. If you really play the guitar against something with more high-end pickups you really do realize just how crappy the stock ones in the GIO are. I played the same guitar against my Gibson V and the result is completely laughable.

And a guitar should always be intonated properly. It shouldn't be something people have to want out of a guitar, a guitar should have good intonation by default no matter how cheap it is.

The bridge angers me. Why it's so damn high off the body out of the factory is an insult to intelligence.

I guess I really am just naive on the issue. Finances haven't allowed for anything else thus far, though.

I agree with you about the intonation.

Even if I get a new guitar to be my primary, I'll still pay to intonate this one and use it for dropped tuning. It's a really easy guitar to play, and I really do enjoy it for the most part.