I've been looking at upgrading the pickups in my guitar. Reading a lot of reviews and listening to some videos, I thought for the single coils, the hot Wilkinsons would be a good bet. After reading around a bit, I've noticed that there are a lot of fake Wilkinson pups out there. On eBay, these are usually listed with "lic." in the title for licensed. Some of the pickups and sets aren't listed like this that I suspect are also fake. For example this set:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilkinson-High-Output-Modern-Single-Coil-Pickups-ST-SET-Fit-Strat-Fender-New-/271162236122?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3f22875cda

So, is there anyway to know for sure which are real actual Wilkinsons, and which are not?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
dunno about the fake situation, but if you ask me the wilkinson pickups are a bit meh... they're fine as stock pickups on reasonably-priced guitars, but unless your guitar's pickups are really bad, i don't see them being much of an upgrade...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The stock ibanez pups are pretty bad
ah right. yeah i suppose the wilkinsons are probably an upgrade on those. whether they're enough of an upgrade to justify the cost, i dunno. By all accounts (I haven't tried them) things like tonerider are better for no more money...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm very open to suggestions. Ill look into them
Iron Gear pups are also pretty neat for the price.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Iron Gear and GFS are 2 good cheap pickup companys
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
IronGear, Tonerider, axesrus and GFS all do pickups that are as nicely made as Wilkinson's but typically sound better. Wilkinson make great stock pickups because they make things to a certain level of quality and they have the middle-of-the-road tones down pat, but usually when you change pickups you are after a specific sound. The other brands, though no better in quality, make pickups that go for a particular sound rather than Wilkinson who try to please everyone.

Or hell, hit up eBay for some second hand Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio pickups. People sell the stock pickups from MIA Gibson and Fender guitars quite cheaply, too. Pickups are just a magnet and some wire, it's not like it matters if it's come from a smoke-free home or if it's been stat in a box in a ware house or used in a guitar or whatever. So long as there is enough wire left on them to connect them, you're good to go.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^ yeah- i haven't tried the irongears and the like, but i agree about the wilkies. they're perfectly satisfactory but a bit generic-sounding. Fine as a stock pickup (especially on cheaper guitars), but not so good as an upgrade where (as you said) odds are you're after something specific.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the input guys. Got a lot more research to do. You're welcome to ke comingep the single coil recs
Why you would bother making fake Wilkinson pickups, I'm not entirely sure. Surely you could make more money passing them off as SDs or Dimizaros?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
Why you would bother making fake Wilkinson pickups, I'm not entirely sure. Surely you could make more money passing them off as SDs or Dimizaros?
Indeed. Why would you counterfeit a cheap Chinese made pickup?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Indeed. Why would you counterfeit a cheap Chinese made pickup?

Maybe he's got access to political labour camps in North Korea that'll do it cheaper?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.