Page 1 of 2
Politicians and doctors across the country seem to think so. One bill in North Carolina has passed completely banning all tanning bed usage for minors:

Teens under the age of 18 would no longer be allowed to use indoor tanning beds under a bill that passed the state House Wednesday.

Current law bans children under 14 from using indoor tanning beds, but allows 14-to 17-year-olds to use them with a parent's written permission. House Bill 18 would remove that exception, instituting a full ban for anyone under 18.

Lawmakers say the change is needed because a growing body of scientific evidence shows tanning beds dramatically increase the risk for deadly melanoma and other skin cancers.

Sponsor Rep, Mark Hollo, R-Alexander, called it a "public safety bill." He cited "overwhelming evidence" that ultraviolet radiation in general, and tanning beds in particular, cause skin cancer.

Hollo said tanning bed radiation can be 15 times stronger than natural sunlight, and the earlier the exposure, the higher the cumulative risk. He said studies clearly show that people who use tanning beds before the age of 35 have a 75% greater chance of skin cancer.

Someone justify this for me. Do we need to take these measures? Can't we just educate teens about the risks of too much tanning bed usage, like in a pamphlet or something?
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
But then all the drug dealers in my area would need to find a way to make their money laundering more believable.
Better Call Saul!
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Mar 20, 2013,
Quote by Carnivean

Someone justify this for me. Do we need to take these measures? Can't we just educate teens about the risks of too much tanning bed usage, like in a pamphlet or something?

Like we do with everything else?

And kids still do stupid shit.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
14 year olds know exactly what they're doing. I say let them.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
^Woah, I never noticed I was in your sig.

I think there should definitely be restrictions or limitations but banning it for everyone under 18 is drastic.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
^Woah, I never noticed I was in your sig.

Did I not send you the "welcome to my sig" gift basket?
The nanny state strikes again.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
I think a guy I knew in school's brother died because he used sunbeds.
I think tanning beds should be banned for anyone of any age.

No really. I seriously think that. That shit is going to kill every single one you leathery, vain sons-of...

On second thought, let natural selection get them early. Take all the age limits off them!
Quote by archangels

On second thought, let natural selection get them early. Take all the age limits off them!

Came in here to say this, lol

Also, does anyone actually find that shit attractive?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I think they should be given a complementary stick of butter.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by WCPhils
Came in here to say this, lol

Also, does anyone actually find that shit attractive?

Being tan?

Yes.

Being overly tan?

No.

But you have to remember, a lot of the kids this affects were mentally shaped by people like Snooki.
Quote by Soccerguy
Tanning beds should be done with period.

It seems you are done with commas.
Quote by Skynyrd890
Being tan?

Yes.

Being overly tan?

No.

But you have to remember, a lot of the kids this affects were mentally shaped by people like Snooki.

Well yea, being kinda tan is attractive, but these things usually turn people orange and gross. Or is that just from using them to much?

Because I've never seen someone who just goes swimming a lot be orange.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Hydra150
It seems you are done with commas.

No, I meant tanning beds shouldn't be hanging around period anymore. He's a bad influence.
Quote by WCPhils
Well yea, being kinda tan is attractive, but these things usually turn people orange and gross. Or is that just from using them to much?

Because I've never seen someone who just goes swimming a lot be orange.

That's just from too much of it.

I know a lot of girls that will tan every couple days for a few weeks before summer, then let nature take over. None of them are leathery and orange. I'm sure that over the course of many years, it'll add up faster than if you just used natural sunlight, but you know... no one cares how you look when you're 30...
their obviously dangerous and don't serve any important purpose, yet people use them in the sake of vanity, which is known to lead people to make bad decisions. educating people about them would obviously be a good idea. a quicker solution would be banning them.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Tanning beds should be banned in general.

Quote by Todd Hart
So 'crunk and 'gandhi are already pussy-whipped, impressive.

Quote by Burgery
you just think they're being mean to you because you have fragile girl feelings
Quote by kimberlydawn
Tanning beds should be banned in general.

+1
Quote by FearMyLightning
Just ban them all together.

You miss the ban the user above you thread don't you? because you just want to ban everything Also what happened to bender?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle
Also what happened to bender?

He asked for a ban.
-oh right, you're talking about that guy's avatar
Teenagers' brains are built to pretty much incapacitate logical thought processes.

So it's not unfair to ban teenagers from doing something that's dangerous.

However, tanning really isn't that dangerous, and whatever risks are there for a teenager would be just as prevalent for an adult. Too much tanning is dangerous for anyone. Moderate to light tanning can actually be healthy. It helps the body synthesize vitamin D, which is a bit tougher to come by during the winter months.
Quote by Good Ol' Ramos
Moderate to light tanning can actually be healthy. It helps the body synthesize vitamin D, which is a bit tougher to come by during the winter months.

Eat fish, and if you don't like fish take vitamin D supplements. I do both.
Quote by archangels
I think tanning beds should be banned for anyone of any age.

No really. I seriously think that. That shit is going to kill every single one you leathery, vain sons-of...

this x 1000
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Hydra150
Eat fish, and if you don't like fish take vitamin D supplements. I do both.

Those are rational alternatives, yes. It doesn't diminish the fact that there's nothing unhealthy about some tanning.

Most tanning beds only emit UV-A rays anyway, which have a wavelength too short to sink deep into the epidermis and cause cancer, eliminating that threat.

edit: For the record, I don't tan, as I have testicles. However, I once was with a girl who managed a tanning salon. I learned a lot lol.
Quote by Good Ol' Ramos
Those are rational alternatives, yes. It doesn't diminish the fact that there's nothing unhealthy about some tanning.

Yeah, but those alternatives are probably cheaper and don't leave you looking like a satsuma.
Scotland has a problem with vitamin D deficiency (bad diets and not a lot of sunlight), and there is link to our high rate of Multiple Sclerosis (my dad had that). We also have a ton of orange people, I don't see that as an ideal solution
We need to limit/ban them all together
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Time restrictions, yes.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Hydra150
Yeah, but those alternatives are probably cheaper and don't leave you looking like a satsuma.
Scotland has a problem with vitamin D deficiency (bad diets and not a lot of sunlight), and there is link to our high rate of Multiple Sclerosis (my dad had that). We also have a ton of orange people, I don't see that as an ideal solution

Orange people are the ones that tan too much, though.

Although come to think of it, it's pretty easy to spot out who tans and who doesn't, even if they're not quite orange. It's funny to point out. To me, going outside and living life seemed like the best way to go about it.

My whole point isn't to endorse it. It's just to clarify that tanning itself isn't bad, but too much is. Just like water, drugs, food, etc.

Now I feel gay for defending tanning, though.
Quote by Soccerguy
Tanning beds should be done with period.

Eww - Spot the twilight fan
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by Good Ol' Ramos

Now I feel gay for defending tanning, though.

You look a little bit gay, too.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Quote by Hydra150
You look a little bit gay, too.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

If I said there was, I'd be a gay homophobe. I think.
if cigarettes are illegal for minors, they should probably do the same for tanning beds. unless somebody else that posted was right about it not being bad for you in moderate amounts, then maybe time limits... i heard it's bad in general though compared to sunlight.
Last edited by Dregen at Mar 20, 2013,
Quote by Good Ol' Ramos
Most tanning beds only emit UV-A rays anyway, which have a wavelength too short to sink deep into the epidermis and cause cancer, eliminating that threat.

you mean too long. the wavelength is too long.

regardless, that's old school. uv-a is now known to contribute to cancer by some mechanism that i don't remember. you should probably google this to make sure i'm not making this up because sometimes i doubt myself
i don't know why i feel so dry
I bet liberals try to ban the sun next, lol.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
No. Miners spend all that time underground--they need some UV exposure.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Page 1 of 2