Cora
3 5%
David
5 9%
Edna
1 2%
Voters: 55.
Page 1 of 2
Had to sit through some ethical decision-making lecture today, as did the rest of my class. Was interested in who you think should get the heart? I'll just copy straight out of the packet.

Heart Transplant Biographical Reports

White American male, age 45. Married for 21 years. Two children (boy 18, girl 15). He is a research physicist at the University Medical School, working on a cancer immunization project. Current publications indicate that he is on the verge of a significant medical discovery. Alfred is also on the health service staff of the local university, member of fcounty medical society, member of the Rotary International, and Boy Scout leader for 10 years.

Black American male, age 27. Married for 5 years. One child (girl 3) and wife is six months pregnant. He is currently employed as an auto mechanic in a local car dealership. Bill is attending night school and taking courses in rebuilding automatic transmissions. No community service activities listed. Plans to open an auto transmission repair shop upon completion of the trade school course.

White American Female, age 30. Married for 11 years. Five children (boy 10, boy 8, girl 7, girl 5, and girl 4 months). Husband self-employed (owns and operates a tavern and short-order restaurant). She is a high school graduate, but has never been employed. The couple has just purchased a home in the local suburbs and Cora is planning to determine whether she has the talent to return to school for courses in interior decorating. Cora is a member of several religious organizations.

White American male, age 19. Single, but recently announced engagement and plans to marry this summer. He is currently a sophomore at a large eastern university, majoring in philosophy and literature. Eventually, he hopes to earn his Ph.D. and become a college professor. David is a member of several campus political organizations; an outspoken critic of the college administration; was once suspended briefly for "agitation;" has had poetry published in various literature magazines around the New York area. David's father is self-employed (owns men's haberdashery store), mother is deceased, and has two younger sisters ages 15 and 11.

White American female, age 34. Single, currently employed as an executive in a large manufacturing company where she has worked since college graduation. Member of local choral society; was alto soloist in Christmas production of Handel's Messiah. Edna has been very active in several church and charitable groups.

Heart Transplant Psychological Evaluations

He is currently distraught about his physical condition and reports that it interferes with his work. Seems very committed to his work and appears to be legitimately on the verge of an important cancer discovery. It was hard for the staff to get him to talk about his work in terms they could understand.

Family relations seem strained and have been for some time because of his commitment to his work. The staff feels that he is a first-rate scientist and scholar who has contributed much and contribute more to medical research. But they also believe him to be a mentally disturbed individual who, in time, will probably need psychiatric help.

He is a black who does not appear to be swayed by the blandishments of black extremist groups. He is strongly devoted to his family and appears to be an excellent husband and father.

Bill's capacity for growth in his chosen occupation, however, seems limited. His high school record was poor, although he had no record of delinquency and was always regarded by his teacher as a student who tried hard. Therefore, he will probably not succeed with his business plans and will remain employed permanently at a fixed rate.

His wife is trained as a legal secretary. Her prognosis for employment is good, although Bill has discouraged her from seeking work because he wants her to be a full-time mother. Bill seems unaware of the serious implications of his illness.

One of the staff members evaluating Cora described her as a "professional Jew." She is president of the local Hadassah organization and seems to be able to talk about nothing but her religion and her children. Although her recently found interest in interior decorating may be a sign of change, it was not clear to the staff whether this interest was real or only generated artificially when she heard of the interview requirement.

Cora seems resigned to her illness and likely death. Her husband works long hours, is in good health, and enjoys the respect and love of his children. Cora's mother, who also lives with the family, handles most of the child care.

Typical student activist, David is a bright, almost straight "A" student who enjoys the respect of most of his teachers and friends. He appears confused about his future, however, and demonstrates a penchant for jeopardizing it by involving himself in various student "causes." Indeed, his college dean of student affairs regards him as an individual who will "demonstrate for anything."

David is bitter, almost paranoid, about his illness. His father has invested a good deal of money, time, and emotion in him and has always hoped that David would become a lawyer. His relations with his father are strained, however, and he seems only mildly concerned about his two sisters, although they still think highly of him. His future father-in-law, who is a highly successful businessman, expects him to enter the family enterprise upon college graduation.

She is a self-contained, inner-directed woman and a model of the "career woman." It was clear to the staff that her natural aggressiveness and combative tendencies worked against any sort of marital attachment, and it is quite possible that she has lesbian tendencies.

Edna's employers regard her as indispensable. Her work record is superb and her activities in church and charitable groups have been effective. She is well-regarded by all who know her, although she seems to have few, if any, close friends.

So there you have it. Post justification, maybe rank them 1-5 of who you'd give it to. I really hope you guys have better judgement than the table of 17 year old girls.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
They should play Russian Roulette for it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Anybody but David.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
The one at the top of the transplant queue.

Obviously.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
tl:dr, voted for the youngest becasue fuck old people
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Ugh, I hate this decisions. Leave it to "innie minnie miny moe" or "ole dole doff".
I can tell you who gets the dick

your mom

edit: Give it to Alfred.
Sail upon the open skies
Alfred has the
most worth.
Whenever the Will to Power, in no matter what form, begins to decline, a physiological retrogression, decadence always supervenes.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Quote by sam b
I didnt read all that shit. Just voted Cora because.

Because C is always the coract answer.
Tortilla Is
Back! I've
Never Been
So Excited
In My Life!
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Quote by Angus_Junior35
Tortilla Is
Back! I've
Never Been
So Excited
In My Life!

I have been
back for a
few months.
Whenever the Will to Power, in no matter what form, begins to decline, a physiological retrogression, decadence always supervenes.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
I stopped reading after "White American Male." He gets the heart.

EDIT: After actually reading it, I think Alfred should actually get the heart.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Last edited by ryan_nadon at Mar 20, 2013,
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I'm guessing they chose Cora?

No, they voted for the family-man mechanic who is sexist and will never contribute to society.
Quote by silhouettica

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Ah shit i thought this was the Alfred you were talking about.

I take back my vote.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by theguitarist

Obviously.

+1. How the hell could you ever judge and rank human beings when it comes to this? I couldn't even begin to make that decision.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
+1. How the hell could you ever judge and rank human beings when it comes to this? I couldn't even begin to make that decision.

how does this transplant queue work anyway? i feel like this discussion would directly impact that queue, and we're just disregarding the queue and getting straight to the heart of the matter. cuz i bet it's not first come first serve.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by jthm_guitarist

Pussy.

Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
how does this transplant queue work anyway? i feel like this discussion would directly impact that queue, and we're just disregarding the queue and getting straight to the heart of the matter. cuz i bet it's not first come first serve.

queue queue queue queue queue queue queue queue queue queue queue
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Last edited by ryan_nadon at Mar 20, 2013,
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE

Why wouldn't it be first come first serve? Do you think people really gather and decide who lives and who dies based on their hobbies and personality?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I don't think that's sexist, having two parents working full time is tough.

Maybe he could take care of the child and let her work since she has a better chance to make more money and have a better job... I think.
Quote by theguitarist

Obviously.

Came here to say this.
I don't even know why, but for some reason I thought this was going to be about the allocation of the various elemental power rings in Captain Planet, and the obvious question of who gets Heart, the least desirable one.

Nobody wants to be Ma-Ti. Nobody.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Why wouldn't it be first come first serve? Do you think people really gather and decide who lives and who dies based on their hobbies and personality?

i would think that the progress of whatever diseases are affecting the candidates should have some influence on where they go in the queue
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
This thread is dildos.

But if I really had to choose, I'd pick Alfred. Why? I'm a heartless twat. Or people I know personally have been affected by cancer and he would fix that. Maybe both.
Bill
Edna
Alfred
Cora
David

because.

I would need their medical histories to make a true decision.

Based on the information given:

1 - Bill - Mechanic
2 - David - College boy
3 - Edna - Career driven woman
4 - Alfred - Cancer Researcher
5 - Cora - Stay at home...lady? she doesn't raise her kids apparently.

If Age, Career, and Family are the major factors, that's my list. Medical histories and current assessments changes everything though.

Quote by Angus_Junior35
No, they voted for the family-man mechanic who is sexist and will never contribute to society.

Wait, so auto-mechanics never contribute to society? How do you think EVERYTHING YOU BUY gets to you?

Most mechanics were not good students in high school, but can be savant when it comes to trade work. For someone doing an interview to tell us he's going no where in a trade because he couldn't get a C in Biology is just as valid as someone telling me I can't get a University degree because I never figured trigonometry out.

Discourage, doesn't mean he would not allow. He probably feels that it's better for the child to have a mother at home, rather then a babysitter or a day-care if they can afford it, which isn't irrational thought.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Last edited by _KurtCobain_77 at Mar 20, 2013,
I voted Bill because he's young, he's got a young child and his wife is pregnant. Alfred's science research doesn't factor into my decision, he's old and has lived his life.

My second choice might be Edna. She seems sad.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Alfred because fuck cancer.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Still pretty old
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Alfred. Think of it in terms of "You have one sentence to justify why you should live and these people should die."

Edna: "I don't know."
Cora: "My children need me!"
David: "Bro. I'm gonna, like...I'm gonna change the world, man."
Bill: "I'll fix your transmission. Free. Okay? Deal?"
Alfred: "I will literally cure cancer if you give me this heart. Serious, I will trade you all the lives of cancer sufferers for this heart."
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
I would need their medical histories to make a true decision.

Based on the information given:

1 - Bill - Mechanic
2 - David - College boy
3 - Edna - Career driven woman
4 - Alfred - Cancer Researcher
5 - Cora - Stay at home...lady? she doesn't raise her kids apparently.

If Age, Career, and Family are the major factors, that's my list. Medical histories and current assessments changes everything though.

Wait, so auto-mechanics never contribute to society? How do you think EVERYTHING YOU BUY gets to you?

Most mechanics were not good students in high school, but can be savant when it comes to trade work. For someone doing an interview to tell us he's going no where in a trade because he couldn't get a C in Biology is just as valid as someone telling me I can't get a University degree because I never figured trigonometry out.

Discourage, doesn't mean he would not allow. He probably feels that it's better for the child to have a mother at home, rather then a babysitter or a day-care if they can afford it, which isn't irrational thought.

Fair argument, but I didn't necessarily mean that he doesn't contribute anything to society, just nothing that can even compare to Alfred's curing of cancer.
Quote by silhouettica

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
1. Alfred for greatest potential in humanitarian contribution
2. Bill because his wife is susceptible to postpartum depression which could adversely effect his children worse than Cora's
3. Cora because think of the children
4. David because youth
5. Edna
Quote by Angus_Junior35
Fair argument, but I didn't necessarily mean that he doesn't contribute anything to society, just nothing that can even compare to Alfred's curing of cancer.

True, but Alfred is also the least likely to survive the transplant and the 2nd least likely to be missed by their family based on the information given.

Quote by AeolianSeventh
Alfred. Think of it in terms of "You have one sentence to justify why you should live and these people should die."

Edna: "I don't know."
Cora: "My children need me!"
David: "Bro. I'm gonna, like...I'm gonna change the world, man."
Bill: "I'll fix your transmission. Free. Okay? Deal?"
Alfred: "I will literally cure cancer if you give me this heart. Serious, I will trade you all the lives of cancer sufferers for this heart."

See above. Alfred could promise you world peace, a cure for cancer, and infinite food, but he'd still be the most likely to die in recovery.

Godsmack: Cora doesn't even raise her own children, the grandmother does. Apparently Cora is too busy with her religion to take care of her family.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Last edited by _KurtCobain_77 at Mar 20, 2013,
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
Godsmack: Cora doesn't even raise her own children, the grandmother does. Apparently Cora is too busy with her religion to take care of her family.

That doesn't make her insignificant to the process. Just less significant than Bill.
Page 1 of 2