I've been playing a progression for a while but can't ever seem to figure out where to go next. It goes Amaj/Aadd9/Amaj (pretty much add9 is just for flair), C#m7, Cm7, Bm7, Dmaj/Dsus2/Dsus4 and repeat. Here's chord block of the voicing I am using: http://imgur.com/wZSKJ2f
If need be I can record the progression so you can see how it sounds

I really like the voicing for the Amaj chord, so if you have any suggestions of where to find more chords like that I'd really appreciate that too.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: my dropbox link was forbidden, so I updated to an imgur one
Last edited by sarcoplasm at Mar 21, 2013,
Look, we're not going to write your song for you. Not to be blunt.

What you can do is look into music that has the same style you're going for. Listen first. Then sing along (sing any parts you can, not just the vocal part). Then try to figure out the chords/voicings/whatever on the guitar.

This is in my opinion the single best way to learn music, because you internalize everything.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Look, we're not going to write your song for you. Not to be blunt.

What you can do is look into music that has the same style you're going for. Listen first. Then sing along (sing any parts you can, not just the vocal part). Then try to figure out the chords/voicings/whatever on the guitar.

This is in my opinion the single best way to learn music, because you internalize everything.

This. It's your song, we can't tell what you want to do with it.

And it's not all about chords, it's about rhythm and melody too. But that D in the end isn't really that "powerful" chord, especially when played after Bm7 that is the same chord with B in bass. You could add an E major chord in the end (after D) to make it sound complete. But I don't think a chord progression alone sounds good. It also needs rhythm and melody.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Mar 21, 2013,
As always, this is what you have to do:

Play your progression. Listen to it.

Repeat a few times.

Then stop. Listen to the silence.

What sound do you want to hear?

When you hear something in your head - AND NOT BEFORE - try to find it on your guitar and don't quit until you do.

If you don't hear anything, repeat the whole process.
Quote by sarcoplasm
I've been playing a progression for a while but can't ever seem to figure out where to go next. It goes Amaj/Aadd9/Amaj (pretty much add9 is just for flair), C#m7, Cm7, Bm7, Dmaj/Dsus2/Dsus4 and repeat. Here's chord block of the voicing I am using: http://imgur.com/wZSKJ2f
If need be I can record the progression so you can see how it sounds

I really like the voicing for the Amaj chord, so if you have any suggestions of where to find more chords like that I'd really appreciate that too.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: my dropbox link was forbidden, so I updated to an imgur one

To me this is a basic A major progression using that IV ii ii and I with a little passing chord (Cm).

You can use E and F#m as well as G and play with those.

Suggestion: learn all the notes on the neck of the guitar and learn triads, so that you can look at the guitar and create your own voicing. Your A major that you love, is merely an A with the 5th played in unison.

Best,

Sean
To everyone who mentioned that it is my song and so I should be the one to make it up, I understand that. I wasn't trying to ask you to write the progression, but more to help me understand what exactly it is I am actually playing (as in what type of progression) and what types of chords could go well with it. That's why I didn't initially include any recording with melody or rythym, but just the chords themselves. I know a bit of music theory, but I didn't base this on any at all.

Quote by Sean0913
To me this is a basic A major progression using that IV ii ii and I with a little passing chord (Cm).

You can use E and F#m as well as G and play with those.

Suggestion: learn all the notes on the neck of the guitar and learn triads, so that you can look at the guitar and create your own voicing. Your A major that you love, is merely an A with the 5th played in unison.

Best,

Sean

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I understand how chords are made up pretty well, but I don't have enough familiarity of the fretboard or where triads are located to put this to use like you mentioned. I do think the reason I like that chord so much is because of the repeated note on the open high E string.
Quote by sarcoplasm
To everyone who mentioned that it is my song and so I should be the one to make it up, I understand that. I wasn't trying to ask you to write the progression, but more to help me understand what exactly it is I am actually playing (as in what type of progression) and what types of chords could go well with it. That's why I didn't initially include any recording with melody or rythym, but just the chords themselves. I know a bit of music theory, but I didn't base this on any at all.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I understand how chords are made up pretty well, but I don't have enough familiarity of the fretboard or where triads are located to put this to use like you mentioned. I do think the reason I like that chord so much is because of the repeated note on the open high E string.

OK, well your progression is I-iii-ii-IV. IMO it would sound more complete if you added a dominant (V) chord in the end that in this case is E major. The add9 and sus2/4 chords really don't add anything to the way the chords function. Oh, and the C minor in between the C# minor and B minor... You just go chromatically from C#m to Bm and I don't think it has a function in this progression, unless you play it for a long time.

You should learn about functional harmony. I think that's really useful information.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
OK, well your progression is I-iii-ii-IV. IMO it would sound more complete if you added a dominant (V) chord in the end that in this case is E major. The add9 and sus2/4 chords really don't add anything to the way the chords function. Oh, and the C minor in between the C# minor and B minor... You just go chromatically from C#m to Bm and I don't think it has a function in this progression, unless you play it for a long time.

You should learn about functional harmony. I think that's really useful information.

Thanks for the tip! I found this http://www.guitarland.com/Triad.html which I think will help me a lot with this. I was never really taught much about triads and their inversions in lessons.