I'm getting a new MacBook and I'm wondering if it's worth it to transfer pro tools onto it vs just using GarageBand. Does the program really affect the sound of the recording? I have a decent mic so I'm set with that...GarageBand just seems easier to use. I'd just be laying down guitar and vocals.
Without getting into the technical side, it basically doesn't affect quality of recording. I actually think Garageband is harder to work in than Pro Tools, especially for audio. It's so limiting and constrained. Pro Tools handles audio editing much more smoothly. You're better off learning how to properly use PT.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Without getting into the technical side, it basically doesn't affect quality of recording. I actually think Garageband is harder to work in than Pro Tools, especially for audio. It's so limiting and constrained. Pro Tools handles audio editing much more smoothly. You're better off learning how to properly use PT.

I'd agree with you. I've used pro tools for a long time (5 yrs)...but I've heard GB is easier to use plus I'm not sure how to transfer PT since I've lost the CDs and I have no idea what my key for it is. I do still have the mbox tho.
Quote by Xiaoxi

Do you know how I could do that without the key/disks?
Garageband is easier for people who don't need to do much at all/just dicking around. But if you're doing serious tracking, you're gonna need versatile editing tools that Garageband just plain doesn't have.

Assuming that you have a proper registration with Pro Tools / Avid, you should be able to go on their website and download a Mac installation of PT. Do you use an iLok with your PT?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 20, 2013,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Garageband is easier for people who don't need to do much at all/just dicking around. But if you're doing serious tracking, you're gonna need versatile editing tools that Garageband just plain doesn't have.

Assuming that you have a proper registration with Pro Tools / Avid, you should be able to go on their website and download a Mac installation of PT. Do you use an iLok with your PT?

That makes sense. I don't use an iLok. I just remember putting in some code when I registered PT.

Hopefully calling them will make it able for me to download the software.

What kind of recording do you use?

And I remember something about having to pay to (forget the word) convert the session to MP3.

How's that different than just converting it in iTunes?
Hmm, if you're using a keycode based thing pre-iLok, then there might be some big problems. Try contacting support and see if they can email you the key.

I don't remember if Pro Tools has bounce to mp3 format, but you can simply use iTunes to do it. Doesn't affect anything.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
With Pro Tools, anything before PT9 requires either an Mbox or 003 interface plugged in to run for LE. If you've still got your Avid account, you should be able to download either installer for Mac or PC.

As far as Bounce to MP3, it's $20 extra Pre PT9
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp