Hey fellow UGers,

First of all, I apologize if this is the wrong subforum to post this in, but I really have no idea where this should go. Seeing as it pertains to amps and other guitar accessories, I figured I'd post it here. Feel free to move it if it's in the wrong place

Now my main question. A lot of the adjectives I hear used to describe guitar tone are often very confusing. I know what kind of sound I like, but I have no way to really articulate it, if that makes sense. So far, what I understand is that:

- dark/bright = amount of treble or high frequencies
- full/scooped = amount of mid frequencies
- fat/thin = amount of bass or low frequencies

In addition to these, what about things like a dry/saturated tone? How do those compare in terms of which frequencies are accentuated?

I may be completely wrong (I probably am ) so could some of the more knowledgeable folks help me out? This is just out of curiosity, but it's been nagging me for a while now and I need some answers...

Thanks!
see if this helps

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1305901

also, I don't correlate bright with high frequencies or thin with low frequencies for example. Where did you get that? You can have a bright bass tone and fat treble tones. Dark and bright have more to do with how a note 'blooms' or 'attacks'. Bright could be more closely associated with articulation and note definition where dark could be more closely associated with saturated, creamy and warm or 'rounded'.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 20, 2013,
Thanks! That's very helpful, thank you so much.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
see if this helps

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1305901

also, I don't correlate bright with high frequencies or thin with low frequencies for example. Where did you get that? You can have a bright bass tone and fat treble tones. Dark and bright have more to do with how a note 'blooms' or 'attacks'. Bright could be more closely associated with articulation and note definition where dark could be more closely associated with saturated, creamy and warm or 'rounded'.

Well, I decided to Google it before posting, and I came up with multiple references to an article that described it like that. I thought it made sense, although not exactly like I had previously thought.

Thanks for the help!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
well, you are welcome first and foremost

i just gave you my opinion, i didn't look up the definitions

the definitions are meaningless twaddle.

it kinda means something to say 'bright' or 'dark', w/e. but it is so subjective that it almost loses all meaning.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
woody with shimmering rich harmonic overtones means you spent a lot on it.

i know that from MLP.
^
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
br00tal and heavy means it must sound good.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by gregs1020
woody with shimmering rich harmonic overtones means you spent a lot on it.

i know that from MLP.

And if those shimmering rich harmonic overtones are fragile, you'll pay the price of a house for the rig. The guys on TGP will agree it's worth it though.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
^ (and also what greg said)

I'd have said dark or bright was more the frequency of the mids than the treble. but that might be BS.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?