Should i get a second guitar ?

I have a Epiphone Joe Perry Boneyard Les Paul i think it has Burstbucker pickups a 2 model at the neck and 3 at the bridge . Its a great guitar and i can play rock even hard rock but i cant seem to get a good metal sound , I have a proco cat 2 and tube amp i cant crank it up so i keep it at the low volumes .
which tube amp?
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by GABarrie
which tube amp?

Hughes & Kettner tubemaster 18 it has a power soak i normally use 1 watt .
You should be able to get metal tones with that combination, the burstbuckers aren't searing hot, but in combination with the rat they should be easily hot enough to get those tones.

Metal is all about preamp distortion so the volume shouldn't be an issue, make sure you're on the lead channel, make sure the boost is on, crank the gain (try 12-3 O'clock).

Have your rat with the volume and distortion at a similar 12:00-3:00 setting.

Set the master to a suitable volume. And fiddle the EQ, I would suggest starting at either all 12:00, or B: 12:00 M: 10:30 T: 1:00.

After that, you may need to take some gain out until you get there but there should be a metal tone in there somewhere.
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Quote by GABarrie
You should be able to get metal tones with that combination, the burstbuckers aren't searing hot, but in combination with the rat they should be easily hot enough to get those tones.

Metal is all about preamp distortion so the volume shouldn't be an issue, make sure you're on the lead channel, make sure the boost is on, crank the gain (try 12-3 O'clock).

Have your rat with the volume and distortion at a similar 12:00-3:00 setting.

Set the master to a suitable volume. And fiddle the EQ, I would suggest starting at either all 12:00, or B: 12:00 M: 10:30 T: 1:00.

After that, you may need to take some gain out until you get there but there should be a metal tone in there somewhere.

yer i think the problem is i am using low volume and i try and keep it like that so i dont buzz off the Neighbours . I will take it to my mums the house is in the Country and i would be able to crank it up . even at 1w using the gain and boost it can get to loud.
Last edited by dazzzer30 at Mar 21, 2013,
1W with the master at 8-9 O'Clock really should not be too loud, for metal the master isn't the control you need cranked
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Quote by GABarrie
1W with the master at 8-9 O'Clock really should not be too loud, for metal the master isn't the control you need cranked

Neither is the gain.

But yeah, in metal you don't need power amp distortion. That's why many metal amps are 100 watts. They have lots of headroom.

Just try the lead channel and tweak the EQ. I don't think you will need to use the Rat distortion. Try lead channel without any pedals. IIRC, it had enough gain on its own. (I once tried the amp in a music store.) And if it doesn't have enough gain, just boost it. I think your pickups isn't the problem. You just need to tweak the EQ.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I dunno how much preamp distortion it has but judging from the above video you dont even need a Rat except for extra flavor. So put it on lead channel, enable boost and dime the Gain and slowly drop it down until its no longer fizzy and undefined but still has that chunky sound on palm mutes. This is fine for bedroom metal playing, recording is different story. Gain is even lower there, almost puny but it gets its thickness back from multitracking.

Adjust the EQ however you wish. Mild mid scoop for classic sound or boosted mids for more modern approach.

If its heavy sound you are after, you need thicker strings and downtune your guitar.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 21, 2013,