Hi there!

First time poster here, so don't shoot me if I'm violating some etiquette .

A few years back I bought a Marshall AVT150 amp, and I completely fell in love with it (this exact one , in fact). Of course, a few years have passed and I'm looking for an upgrade now, but, since I love this amp so much, I'm looking for an extension cabinet for it. I started looking around on the internet but quickly got overwhelmed with all possible choices and differences in price, which is why I came to this forum to ask for advice from the pros!

Okay, so at the back of my amp it says "Minimum total impedance 4 Ohms", so I'm looking for an 8 Ohm cabinet if I'm not mistaken. (8 Ohm cabinet + 8 Ohm internal speaker = 4 Ohm). I'm also looking for a 4x12 cabinet, since I was told that they give the fullest sound. Lastly, I'd really really really prefer a Marshall cabinet since it'd stack really nice . I'd thought those conditions would narrow down my search quite a lot, but it seems I was mistaken.

First of all, I was unable to find a list with all 4x12 Marshall cabinets. I did find some random Marshall cabinets though:
- The first one I found was the Marshall MG412ACF. This one only seems to cost around 300$, so that's really nice, but apparently it only comes with a kevlar-finish, and my current amp is wood.
- The second one I found is the MG412A, but that one is 300W and 16Ohms, which I think is a bit overkill and I think 8 Ohm cabinets will outperform 16 Ohm cabinets with my setup (not sure at all though).
- Then there are these enormeously expensive cabinets, which seem to have pretty much the seme specifications (1960A cabs and such)

So, I can't really seem to understand much of it all. What is the difference between these cheaper (kevlar) cabinets and the very expensive ones?

Which cabinet would you think is best for my setup (doesn't have to be one of the list)? I'd like to keep the price below 400$ since I only paid 350$ for the amp. Also, I'm not necessarily looking for new equipment, second-hand equipment or equipment that is out of production is also an option (even perhaps the most preferred option).

Thanks in advance!
DePhille
Last edited by DePhille at Mar 21, 2013,
Welcome to the forums stay clear of anything that has "MG" in in that marshall puts out. If you really want to go marshall, you can find a used 1960 cab for 250-300 USD depending on where you are in the world
Quote by DePhille

- The second one I found is the MG412A, but that one is 300W and 16Ohms, which I think is a bit overkill and I think 8 Ohm cabinets will outperform 16 Ohm cabinets with my setup (not sure at all though).

It doesnt matter if its 8 ohms or 16 ohms on Solid State or hybrids with SS power section. Higher the ohms, more power is wasted and less volume you have. That could actually be a desireable trait if you are a bedroom player. Tube amps must be matched.

Okay, so at the back of my amp it says "Minimum total impedance 4 Ohms", so I'm looking for an 8 Ohm cabinet if I'm not mistaken. (8 Ohm cabinet + 8 Ohm internal speaker = 4 Ohm).

The cabinet itself has not resistance, its just a box. Only thing matters is the speaker. If its 8 ohm, its 8 ohm cabinet and in case of tube amps you have match it. (meaning flick the switch 8 ohm setting if there is one) Cabs with multiple speakers it depends how its wired that defines how many ohms it has. I suck at stuff like this so I let someone else explain it.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
spambot reported^

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 21, 2013,
But yea, DePhille, I would go with what Addonexus408 said. The MG series is most likely only good for entry level players. You should check out Carvin products. They're reasonably priced and have a good selection. Or scroll around on Ebay. That might be your best option since you have a relatively low budget for such a product (no offense)....
Thanks for the quick replies! I know I have set a low budget for what I'm looking for, but getting such a great product for a bargain is always extremely nice. Besides, I'm not in a rush so I have time to wait for the right product to appear on an auction site. So no offense taken .

As for where I am in the world, I'm from Belgium. Problem is that most of the eBay listings seem to be in the US, and I suspect quite some shipping costs for a 35kg cabinet. Thanks though for keeping me off the MG series!

Okay, so for a more general question. What are the key differences between the MG and the 1960, ie, what are the characteristics that make up a good cabinet (and make it so much more expensive)? Also, is there any good source on the different models in the 1960 series? Or any model in particular I should look for?

Thanks for all replies so far!
DePhille