Well it's sure been a hell of a long time since I've posted on this site. I've got a question.

I'm out of the continent at the moment so I can't take a sound clip, but I have a Fender Ultimate Chorus SS amp, and for a few years it has made a very crass "squelching" sound when you turn the power switch off (and as I recall, a very subtle one when turning it on). It sounds like Shaq's sneaker squeeking on a freshly-waxed floor, mic'd, run through a good pre-amp, then run through an octave pedal down about a minor seventh.

Someone once told me "it's because the transistors don't want to be transistors anymore". Can anybody explain this phenomenon to me, and what I should do about it?

Thank!
-Jeff
Quote by sonixon
I'm out of the continent at the moment so I can't take a sound clip, but I have a Fender Ultimate Chorus SS amp, and for a few years it has made a very crass "squelching" sound when you turn the power switch off (and as I recall, a very subtle one when turning it on). It sounds like Shaq's sneaker squeeking on a freshly-waxed floor, mic'd, run through a good pre-amp, then run through an octave pedal down about a minor seventh.

i had one of those amps, they are not bad.

this is actually a pretty normal problem, i am not exactly sure exactly what causes it but many solid state amps do it. basically it is 'junk' coming out the speaker output when the amp turns off, so you are just getting whatever signal is coming out of the amp (through the speakers) as it turns off.

tube amps are different and generally have 'standby' modes that defeat the amp's output as the amp turns off (tube amps also can make funny noises as they turn off).

Quote by sonixon
Someone once told me "it's because the transistors don't want to be transistors anymore". Can anybody explain this phenomenon to me, and what I should do about it?

i wouldn't pay that statement any attention, it doesn't really mean anything. kinda like saying 'a car makes a noise because the engine doesn't want to be an engine anymore'. it might mean something to the person saying such things, but it's useless to anyone else.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Mar 21, 2013,
I have amps that do that too with no other ill effects.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
My SS Crate farts when I turn it off. It never says excuse me either.
Probably better than my reverb pedal thinking it was a tremolo pedal every so often thanks to my old power supply going nuts and throwing 16 volts at it instead of 9. Man that was annoying, especially when it did it half way through a song.
Reverb climax.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
^ haha, quite possibly! Though I didn't exactly want it climaxing all over my bands Dimmu cover.
Or any of the other songs either really.
Last edited by NotTheMessiah30 at Mar 21, 2013,