I'm looking for some high-output active humbucker neck and bridge pickup for my guitar that can handle high distortion/gain well and be suitable for very low down-tuning (from C to A standard)

Thanks in advance.

I play Metal... if it wasn't obvious, lol.
EMG 81/85 or 81/60 are the traditional standbys
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
these new Emg 57 and 66 have been getting allot of hype. I never tried one myself yet but i would look in to them.
If you want a standard metal tone, EMG would be a good place to start. If you want something that's gonna be good for low shit but still let the character of your guitar shine through look into passives, especially Bare Knuckle pickups. I have a VHII in the bridge of my Les Paul and it does metal pretty well, and I know Bulb used Bare Knuckles a lot in his guitars for the first Periphery album.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by crzywhiteboy
these new Emg 57 and 66 have been getting allot of hype. I never tried one myself yet but i would look in to them.

This...or their HetSet. Magic.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by kumamilesbear
If you want a standard metal tone, EMG would be a good place to start. If you want something that's gonna be good for low shit but still let the character of your guitar shine through look into passives, especially Bare Knuckle pickups. I have a VHII in the bridge of my Les Paul and it does metal pretty well, and I know Bulb used Bare Knuckles a lot in his guitars for the first Periphery album.

Bare Knuckles all day! +1

EMG's if you want to sound like everybody else
81 in the bridge and 60AX in the neck. The 81 is the most standard active tone that everybody is familiar with. You can't go wrong with it; if active metal tone is what you want, that's the pickup you buy. The 60AX is warmer than the 60 but clearer than the 85 and the 'X' preamp gives you more headroom than a SD Blackout.

Or check out Shadow Electronic's SH EQ5, which is a standard active humbucker design with a 5-band EQ and input and output gain controls built in to the top of the pickup. That way you can get the exact sound you want and even adjust it as you play.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
81 in the bridge and 60AX in the neck. The 81 is the most standard active tone that everybody is familiar with. You can't go wrong with it; if active metal tone is what you want, that's the pickup you buy. The 60AX is warmer than the 60 but clearer than the 85 and the 'X' preamp gives you more headroom than a SD Blackout.

Or check out Shadow Electronic's SH EQ5, which is a standard active humbucker design with a 5-band EQ and input and output gain controls built in to the top of the pickup. That way you can get the exact sound you want and even adjust it as you play.

MrF, have you tried the 57 or JH? I didn't care for the 81 myself, Blackouts were better, JHs better yet and now have found the 57/66 set to be the best actives I've tried. All in my Ibanez. Just curious.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
And your amp is?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
No offense, but Seymour Duncan Blackouts are much better, imho, than EMGs. EMG 81s don't get enough low end, whereas the SD Blackout Metal ABH-2 do get that excellent low end. EMGs 85 probably also get good low end, but I consider EMGs more muddy than Blackouts. I would check out the Blackouts ABH-2 for a bridge pickup and the ABH-1 for a neck pickup, especially since you're going to be downtuning (you really need good low end). They're a bit better, imho, than an EMG81/85 combo.

Edit:
Also, I hope you know you'll need thick strings and will need to adjust your truss rod for low tunings like C standard or A standard, right? (And you will need to re-adjust your truss rod every time you change tunings.) I'd just pick a tuning like A standard and then learn to transpose things in any higher tunings. So, if a song is in C standard or Drop C, then just find the same notes on your guitar in A standard. It's much easier than re-adjusting the truss rod every time.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 22, 2013,
^ The lower you tune the less low end you actually need.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I have some kind of Seymour Duncan's on a PRS Santana SE. I forget exactly what they are but they made that guitar excellent.
Paul Reed Smith CE-24 2005 and Santana SE with Seymour Duncan pickups.
Line 6 Amplifiers
Boss Effects and Steve Vai's Wah Pedal
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
https://www.guitarchalk.com