Hey guys. I'm gonna be getting some recording software and a new comp pretty soon, so I wanted to get some input as to whether this combo would work. I want to get image line fl studio 10 signature bundle, here's the specs: FL Studio 10 Signature Bundle Specifications:
Minimum System Requirements:
2Ghz AMD or Intel Pentium 3 compatible CPU with full SSE1 support. The faster your CPU and more cores it has the more you will be able to do simultaneously.
Windows 7, Vista, XP & 2000 (32 & 64 Bit)(or) Intel Mac with Boot Camp (running XP, Vista or Windows 7, 32 or 64 Bit)
1GB or more RAM recommended
1GB free disk space
Soundcard with DirectSound drivers. ASIO/ASIO2 compatible required for audio recording (FL Studio installs with generic ASIO4ALL drivers)
Supported Formats:
FL10 will fit easily within current software supporting VST/VSTi/VST2, DXi, DXi2, MP3, WAV, OGG, MIDI, ASIO, ASIO 2, REWIRE, REX 1 & 2
Additionally supported through DirectWave Editor: AKAI AKP (S5/6K,Z4,Z8), Battery (version 1), MPC, Reason, Kurzweil, EXS24, Kontakt (version 1 & 2), Recycle, SFZ+ and SoundFont2. desktop PC, which uniquely combines a slim space-saving design with the smart performance of a 2nd or 3rd generation Intel Core™ i7 processor and entertainment features like 5.1 channel surround sound support. Great for email, video playback and organizing photos, the H520s also comes with Lenovo Assistant - an easy to use interface to organize your favorites, clean up history and junk files, and manage the PC's network connections and energy consumption, making it the ideal PC for the entire family.

Quick Glance
Included Drives: DVD-Writer
Operating System: Genuine Windows 8
Included Devices: Keyboard Yes, Mouse
Video Chipset: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD
Processor Type: Intel Pentium

Summary
Product Title: Lenovo IdeaCentre H520s Desktop Computer - Intel Pentium G2020 2.9GHz
Manufacturer: Lenovo
Lowest Price: $359.99 from Amazon.com

Processor
Processor Class: Intel Pentium
Processor Speed: 2.90 GHz
Cache Size: 3 MB
Number of Installed Processors: 1

Memory
Installed Memory: 4 GB
Max System Memory: 8 GB
Memory Technology: DDR3 SDRAM

System
Interface Connection: 6 x USB 2.0, HDMI Yes, VGA Yes, Ethernet RJ-45 Yes, Audio Line In Yes, Audio Line Out Yes

Expansion Slots
Slots: Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Secure Digital (SD) Card, Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC), Secure Digital Extended Capacity (SDXC), MultiMediaCard (MMC), MMCplus

Software
Operating System: Genuine Windows 8

Storage
Included Drives: DVD-Writer
Hard Drive Capacity: 1 TB

Features
Included Devices: Keyboard Yes, Mouse

Multimedia
Video Chipset: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD

Modem / Networking
Included Network Card: IEEE 802.11b/g/n, Gigabit Ethernet

Dimensions
Height: 12.0 in
Width: 4.1 in
Depth: 14.2 in
Weight: 17.42 lbs

More Info
URL: Manufacturer Link

Additional Specifications
Product Series: H520s
Processor Model: G2020
Memory Card Reader: Yes
64-bit Processing: Yes
Number of Total Memory Slots: 2
Graphics Memory Technology: DDR3 SDRAM
Hard Drive RPM: 7200
Number of Processors Support: 1
Network (RJ-45): Yes
Audio Line In: Yes
Audio Line Out: Yes
Direct Media Interface: 5 GT/s
Total Number of USB Ports: 6
Number of USB 2.0 Ports: 6
And that's the comp I'm thinking about, sorry the post is so long, but if anyone has tried this combo and is satisfied or knows of a better comp with the software between $300-560, please let me know. Thanks!
Intel Pentium G2020 2.9GHz

Thats a terrible processor. You'd be lucky to have a session going much past 4 or 5 tracks with that going. Try and find a laptop with a Core i5 in it. Its going to be more around the $500ish range but you'll benefit a ton from it.

Also, why FL Studio? Its not good for rock & Ableton Live kicks the shit out of it for electronic music.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
That PC is a pile of shit, frankly. It'll do the job, but you could do much better for the price. I recommend building one if you possibly can.

Also, just get the FL Studio Producer Edition rather than the Signature edition. The plugins you get are ok, but there's so much good freeware out there I wouldn't bother personally. If you're planning on doing recording/mixing and not just sample/MIDI based stuff, I'd consider Studio One, Sonar X2 and Reaper instead, personally.
Quote by lockwolf

Also, why FL Studio? Its not good for rock & Ableton Live kicks the shit out of it for electronic music.

Both of these statements are wrong (Was a long time user of FL but lack of true 64bit support was annoying).

With that said I wouldn't recommend FL unless your doing a lot of MIDI editing (I don't think anything touches FLs midi interface). I would go reaper just for price point and its a lot more traditional than FL interface.

If you do go route of FL don't do more than producer edition. Although a lot of the signature stuff is usable it's not worth it to me, unless your doing electronic style music, but if you are then you would companies like Arturia, GForce, and NI walk all over most FL synths. Except vocodex that things rocks.
Last edited by FireHawk at Mar 22, 2013,
For $500, you could get a decent desktop for recording. Do you need a monitor or other peripherals?
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Don't get anything with any Intel Pentium processor. A better idea would be to build a PC with something like the Intel Core i5-3570K. (Keep in mind, you will need a motherboard that is Intel Core i5 compatible.) Also, buy either 4 sticks of 4GB RAM OR 2 sticks of 8GB RAM, depending on how many slots for RAM your motherboard has. 16GB is definitely your best bet for recording music.

I've been researching a lot of this myself, because I'm building a new desktop soon. (See sig.)
If you're running a 32-bit operating system, there's no point in putting any more than 4GB of RAM, because that's all that's going to be recognized anyways.

I'm not sure what's wrong with that processor. Spec-wise, it is very comparable to mine - an AMD 64 Windsor. Yeah, sure, that's *so* 6 years ago, but using Cubase on Win7, it runs a champ.

I typically work at 24-bit / 44.1khz, using my AMD64 processor, 4GB RAM (32-bit Win7) and have never found myself limited by my computer. I've had to maybe adjust latency, but I've never been unable to squeak out more tracks or found myself not being able to use whatever effects I wanted to use - even upwards to over 30 tracks.

I bought my computer used for less than $200.

Unless you're doing stuff with a ton of effects (which requires a very strong processor then), or a ton of virtual instruments (which requires a load of RAM), even the most bare-bones system you can buy is going to beat the pants off my computer.

I used to build computers. Now I just buy used ones. But I find that if I wanted a brand new computer, that I can no longer build for less than what I can buy already ready-to-go for.

Case in point... cheapest computer I can find on bestbuy.ca = $299.95

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-aspire-x-ax3950-desktop-computer-intel-core-i3-540-4gb-ram-500gb-hdd-windows-7-ax3950-eb20p/10208828.aspx?path=08c0e176190bfe685be274d72563ad99en02

Parted out:
core i3 3220 processor (couldn't find anything lower) - $120
4GB DDR3 RAM - $35
500GB SATA drive - $60
cheap MOBO = $50
case = $40

I'm already over the $295, and I don't yet have a power supply, keyboard, mouse, or Win7 operating system.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.