My Marshall Jackhammer is incredibly noisy when the gain is at the setting I like, and I'm wondering what I can do about it. I've currently got it set-up with an MXR Smart Gate, which does a good job of it but I have to have it set so high that any signal of lower volume (basically anything but the Jackhammer, so every clean signal) is really muffled.

I'm not sure if it's my particular pedal is somehow faulty and it's not meant to be so noisy, or if it's standard thing. Either way, do any circuit wizards know if I can replace or add some components to help counter this noise? I have a basic understanding of electronics and can do soldering and basic circuit work, I just don't have the knowledge to work out if I can modify it or not..
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
I have an MXR smart gate, how are you using it (your settings)?
I keep the switch on full, the little button at the top on, and the dial hardly on at all. I have no problems.

You can always switch it off, it does have a switch
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 21, 2013,
You need two gates. The threshold needed to quieten a preamp is very different to that needed to quieten the guitar's signal going in to the amp.

Have one gate with fine control to put on your guitar and pedals. I used the Boss NS-2 for this because it offers the most control with the ability to put pedals in its loop. You start off by setting it very low and only turn it up in tiny degrees to get rid of the worst of the noise. Never try to totally silence all hum because that will start to effect the main signal which you want to keep.

Now there's less excess noise to be amplified by the preamp, the preamp itself can be controleld with a simple gate. The Smart Gate will be fine. Just set it to its weakest setting and put your amp on your most medium gain (i.e. not the most distorted sound you ever use but not the cleanest either). Now slowly turn the MXR's control up until it takes off just the worts of the noise. Don't expect to kill all the noise completely because when you do that you'll also be eating into the bits of the sound you want.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
You need two gates. The threshold needed to quieten a preamp is very different to that needed to quieten the guitar's signal going in to the amp.

Have one gate with fine control to put on your guitar and pedals. I used the Boss NS-2 for this because it offers the most control with the ability to put pedals in its loop. You start off by setting it very low and only turn it up in tiny degrees to get rid of the worst of the noise. Never try to totally silence all hum because that will start to effect the main signal which you want to keep.

Now there's less excess noise to be amplified by the preamp, the preamp itself can be controleld with a simple gate. The Smart Gate will be fine. Just set it to its weakest setting and put your amp on your most medium gain (i.e. not the most distorted sound you ever use but not the cleanest either). Now slowly turn the MXR's control up until it takes off just the worts of the noise. Don't expect to kill all the noise completely because when you do that you'll also be eating into the bits of the sound you want.

Either you've misunderstood, or I have, but I'm not using the distortion on my amp. I have my overdrive pedals running to the preamp of my JCM900, with the Smart Gate at the end of that chain. It's the pedal that's noisy, not the amp.
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Quote by makutoid
Either you've misunderstood, or I have, but I'm not using the distortion on my amp. I have my overdrive pedals running to the preamp of my JCM900, with the Smart Gate at the end of that chain. It's the pedal that's noisy, not the amp.

The same thing applies, man. There is no point in putting a noise gate after a distortion pedal because it compresses everything so it's the same volume. Pedals like the NS-2 have a loop function so you can put noisy pedals in there. Then you run the gate to trigger from the input signal of the guitar.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Cool, I'm lost now then :P I've always understood that putting a noise gate in an FX loop would be to suppress noise produced by the amp's distortion channel, not pedals.

I know that one of the noise gates I was looking at (the MXR Noise Clamp) had a loop built in, but the Smart Gate (which I've got) doesn't, it's just input and output. So if putting it after the noisy pedal won't work, I'll have to put it through the FX loop? I was emailing a guy from Dunlop about this when I got the pedal and he recommended straight after the pedal, so now I'm a little confused..
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Quote by makutoid

I know that one of the noise gates I was looking at (the MXR Noise Clamp) had a loop built in, but the Smart Gate (which I've got) doesn't, it's just input and output. So if putting it after the noisy pedal won't work, I'll have to put it through the FX loop? I was emailing a guy from Dunlop about this when I got the pedal and he recommended straight after the pedal, so now I'm a little confused..

If your pedal doesn't have a loop function, you will have to get another one. It doesn't matter whether the noise is coming from the pedals or amp, you still have to have 2 noise gates: one for the guitar and the other for the amp's effects loop.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
If your pedal doesn't have a loop function, you will have to get another one. It doesn't matter whether the noise is coming from the pedals or amp, you still have to have 2 noise gates: one for the guitar and the other for the amp's effects loop.

The guitar itself isn't producing any (or much) noise, so I guess by the guitar you mean the pedals..? I'm not arguing that it'll work, but I wanna understand it, why does there need to be one in line with the pedals as well as one in the effects loop?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Quote by makutoid
The guitar itself isn't producing any (or much) noise, so I guess by the guitar you mean the pedals..? I'm not arguing that it'll work, but I wanna understand it, why does there need to be one in line with the pedals as well as one in the effects loop?

As I said before, the reason is because the gate won't function properly because all the sound that comes out of the distortion is basically at the same volume.
EH

Quote by eddiehimself
As I said before, the reason is because the gate won't function properly because all the sound that comes out of the distortion is basically at the same volume.

Is the sound coming out of the preamp not also at the same volume..?

*Sorry if I'm being really stupid here, just trying to get my head around it*
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Quote by makutoid
Is the sound coming out of the preamp not also at the same volume..?

*Sorry if I'm being really stupid here, just trying to get my head around it*

Yes, because the distortion is going into the preamp, thus it is affected by it.
EH

Quote by eddiehimself
Yes, because the distortion is going into the preamp, thus it is affected by it.

Last stupid question hopefully...so the preamp will help filter out some of the noise, and the noise gate will finish it off?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Quote by makutoid
Last stupid question hopefully...so the preamp will help filter out some of the noise, and the noise gate will finish it off?

The preamp will not get rid of any noise. It will just add more noise. Everything adds more noise.
EH

Quote by eddiehimself
The preamp will not get rid of any noise. It will just add more noise. Everything adds more noise.

Right, I got ya, so noise gate in the FX loop takes out noise of the pedal, and the preamp. Cool ^_^
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Quote by LeviMan_2001
Noise gate goes at the very beginning of the chain. None of your pedals should create noise, they only amplify the noise created by your guitar. What guitar do you have?

Interesting idea, not heard that one before... sound logical though :P I use a few, main two being an LTD H-250 with Duncan Designed pickups, the other being a Yamaha Super-Flighter. This pedal has always been really noisy, with any guitar, but I'll try that anyway.
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart