I plan on purchasing a new guitar amplifier. What are the best solid state amplifiers? My budget is $300.
Line 6 Flextone III
Peavey Transtube
Fender Mustang
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I really like my Crate Powerblock. It doesn't have a bunch of effects built in but it sounds pretty good with a cheapie tube preamp. 150 watts, too.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
A used Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 would be my recommendation.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Peavey xxl is pretty good, but a tube amp will beat it anyday. Why not go tube? They're not as much hassle as they seem and they are pretty much just as reliable, and they sound waaaay better.
Quote by timbit2006
Probably right around $3000 Canadian(We have to pay a lot more for some stupid reason...).

Quote by RealGuitarHero
Because of the French.

so true
I play a lot of sludge metal/grunge but i also want an amp that can make some good classic rock sounds. I just need one loud enough to play in my basement and a two car garage.
Why do you specifically want a solid state amp?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Why do you specifically want a solid state amp?

Volume management is likely the reason.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
It's cheaper and I play mostly for practice and jam sessions so I'm not looking for high quality tube amps.
vh140c's are good if you are into metal.

i like a few hybrid ampegs, own one, great cleans, and great with pedals.

Randall RG100ES are very good and do more than the 'dime' tone.

Randall Centurys are nice i have a 1x12" combo onliy paid like $40. dime used these on two albums (his being a 200 watt heads) gets a while to dial in/the EQ can be a little bitchy.

_______

from the other post i am considering getting a third (EDIT i sold two) RG100ES, probably should just shut my damn mouth and buy it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Mar 22, 2013,
Well, there are very few good non-modeling solid state amps - especially for distortion purposes. There are some good SS amps for cleans, but that doesn't seem to be what you're going for.

Someone else mentioned it, but I recommend you take a look at the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. It's a hybrid amp, has excellent volume control (one of the best I've ever used), sounds good at any volume. Power tubes life varies a lot, and depends on how hard you run the amp and how long, but... generally you can expect around 2-5 years. Just all depends on a lot of factors. If you don't run it hard, happen to get really good tubes, there's no reason they can't last 10 years. My 5150 had original tubes when I got it, and it was made in '94 or '96.

The Vypyr Tube has 2 6L6s - which will generally run you anywhere between $35 & $60, depending on where you get them and what brand you get. But it's a relatively small cost considering how often you have to replace them.

Alternatively, keep an eye out for a Marshall MOSFET. They're relatively rare, and probably won't fall in your budget, but you never know - just keep your eyes on Craigslist and eBay. It's one of the very few good SS amps, and would be good for what you want.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm horrifically biased, of course, but if you can find an old Line 6 Flextone, HD147 or Vetta then you're laughing.

For new, the Vypyrs probably are what I'd go for. Or, though it's 350w (and hybrid), a Marshall Mode Four would fit well.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Outside of modelling amps modern SS amps are generally not so hot from what I hear, but Randall did release an amp year ago, RG 1503, which is an hotrodded version of their old RG100ES that Dime used in Pantera days. You could check it out.

There are several old SS and hybrid amps that are quite good, if one trick pony (geared to metal), and were used by several bands back then.

Peavey XXL
Peavey Supreme/Supreme XL
1st generation Marshall Valvestate
Ampeg VH140c
Crate GX130C (very similar to above Ampeg)
Randall RG100ES

One thing about above is that they are all CHEAP in used market, downside is that they are all old as hell and may develop problems and can be pain to fix.

If you want tube sounds check out modelers. Peavey Vypyr is great choice.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 22, 2013,
^ On that subject, does anyone know if the Supreme/XXL is anything at all like a Ampeg 140?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
^ On that subject, does anyone know if the Supreme/XXL is anything at all like a Ampeg 140?

With all that Transtube tech and stuff, I would say no.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Thank you all for your help. I'll be heading to guitar center to test some amps you suggested. a couple are over my price range but If I'm paying for quality it doesn't matter.
Best at what? My old MG could hold a door open like nobody's business.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Best at what? My old MG could hold a door open like nobody's business.

Indeed, mine is an exceptional drinkholder!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Indeed, mine is an exceptional drinkholder!

I bet it could hold a door open while holding a drink!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
A Peavey Vypyr would be the best new bet. The Vypyr 60 can sound pretty serious for the money. A Flextone would be a good offering from Line 6 used. Honestly, even if you play from home and jam...tubes will sound better in the long run.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I've had more than a few SS amps - my Mustang 1 is great. I'm sure the V2 is even better.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
If you're lucky you might find a Roland jazz chorus 120 for your budget 2nd hand. Superb amps. Clean as a whistle.
Quote by jakey333
If you're lucky you might find a Roland jazz chorus 120 for your budget 2nd hand. Superb amps. Clean as a whistle.

Really? Never seen them for less than 600 around here. I'd be worried about one that is sub 300 personally around here.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
I have several SS amps. My Transtube is the oldest and best of the bunch. Vox DA20 comes in 2nd but it doesn't sound as good these days as when it was new. The tarnstube has been a solid buy.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by tubetime86
I bet it could hold a door open while holding a drink!

Mine literally has "FOOTREST" taped on the grill cloth, because it goes in front of my pedalboard, facing the audience, so I can go all Petrucci-style footresting without the degrading tone of diamond plate. I've got genuine Marshall tone in mine
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Quote by Eltoro52
I play a lot of sludge metal/grunge but i also want an amp that can make some good classic rock sounds. I just need one loud enough to play in my basement and a two car garage.

In your case I would second the Randall recommendation (Crowbar, Superjoint Ritual etc).
Or look into an used Sunn Beta/Coliseum (Red Fang, Ortega etc).
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
carvin sx300... awesome sound, good effects, under 300 from carvin. watch the youtube reviews. youll agree it slays.
get a dumble solid state amp. best ever
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae