Poll Options
View poll results: TS is
a knob
48 51%
Nicolas Cage
46 49%
Voters: 94.
Page 1 of 4
Like I know Nirvana started grunge, but AiC and Nirvana formed in the same year. Plus Nirvana always felt more punk rockish. AiC was more drug addled and mellow.
¯\_()_/¯
Grunge is actually a musical movement, not a genre. People who say it is a genre as ridiculous as people who says the '60s Hippy Rock was a genre. No, it was merely several bands doing similar things at the same time. Also, AiC is typically associated with alternative rock, not the grunge movement.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Grunge is actually a musical movement, not a genre. People who say it is a genre as ridiculous as people who says the '60s Hippy Rock was a genre. No, it was merely several bands doing similar things at the same time. Also, AiC is typically associated with alternative rock, not the grunge movement.

Their newer stuff is associated with alt, but their pre-Duvall stuff was considered grunge.
¯\_()_/¯
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Crazysam isn't really crazy.

Um...thanks, I think.

I know I do say a lot of shit that people disagree with, but I try to not be "crazy" (read: completely illogical).

Quote by CaptainCanti
Their newer stuff is associated with alt, but their pre-Duvall stuff was considered grunge.

Um...as I said, "grunge" is NOT a genre. Stop looking at wikipedia and assuming it is. 90% of grunge (including Nirvana, btw) is alt rock. If you don't believe me, then learn why it's called alt. (Hint: it stands for "alternative". What could it have possibly been an alternative to, musically? What other music was there at the time of the late '80s?) Learning about a movement's history typically explains why it's a musical movement and not a genre. Likewise, learning about a genre's history typically explains why it is a distinct genre.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 22, 2013,
People on UG complain why rock music is getting more and more diluted and crappy and yet seem to spend more time debating and arguing over genres than just shutting up and playing.

****ing kids *disgruntled old man noises*
Even if they did, what does it matter? What difference does it make? Why would anyone care?

Quote by necrosis1193

Yeah, that.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
it was merely several bands doing similar things at the same time.

So it was a genre.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
So it was a genre.

If that were true, then the hippies doing their thing in the '60s would be a genre. Besides, as I said, most of those bands were alt rock. AiC was a bit more on the alt metal side though, I'll admit.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 22, 2013,
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Even if they did, what does it matter? What difference does it make? Why would anyone care?

Yeah, that.

Joshua Garcia isn't a real Garcia.

he's a hernandez
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
If that were true, then the hippies doing their thing in the '60s would be a genre. Besides, as I said, most of those bands were alt rock. AiC was a bit more on the alt metal side though, I'll admit.

It was.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
It was.

Wait, wait, wait...so, guys like Hendrix were in the same genre as people like Janis Joplin?

Not quite sure how you'd justify putting folk musicians in the same category as blues-based rock.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Joshua Garcia isn't a real Garcia.

he's a hernandez

Quote by snipelfritz

This thread's potential dropped off so hard as soon as it was posted.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Wait, wait, wait...so, guys like Hendrix were in the same genre as people like Janis Joplin?

Not quite sure how you'd justify putting folk musicians in the same category as blues-based rock.

I didn't put those two together, you did.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
. No, it was merely several bands doing similar things at the same time.

This strangely seems to go along with the Websters definition of what a genre "a category of artistic, musical, or literary composition characterized by a particular style, form, or content"

And I have to agree with TS that Alice in Chains was more grunge that Nirvana IMO
you're never as free as when you are lost
Quote by GuitarQ33r0
This strangely seems to go along with the Websters definition of what a genre "a category of artistic, musical, or literary composition characterized by a particular style, form, or content"

But not along the lines of why genres exist. Genres are assumed to share certain musical traits.

Quote by TunerAddict
I didn't put those two together, you did.

No, you said, "It was", which could mean one of several things. I'm assuming you were referring to '60s hippes, not my summation of AiC as on the alt metal end of things, since we've been discussing genres.
Quote by soundgarden1986
Who cares. Soundgarden and The Melvins are better than them both

The Melvins are more Sludge Metal
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
TS, I went to your twitter out of boredom and I have one question:

Are you a boy or a girl? I literally can't tell.
Quote by snipelfritz

Quote by Joshua Garcia

I see what appears to be an adam's apple
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by Joshua Garcia

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by Joshua Garcia

I'm neither. I'm Nicolas Cage.
¯\_()_/¯
Page 1 of 4