I finished my 7 track EP today. (Actually it was all recorded today.) It was a long process but I am happy with the results I hope you all enjoy it. It ca best be described as Harmony infused folk music haha. C4C as always. Thanks

-Kevin

http://kevinfreundmusic.bandcamp.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
Go into Guitar Center and tell them you are willing to spend $3000 on as many Spider and MG half stacks as they can give you.
Hey man cheers for the crit

I really enjoy this kind of music, it's the kind of stuff I look for. Your recordings seem flawless to me although I am a newbee so what do I know. Your songs are great and I especially love the harmonies between you and the female voice in your songs.

Really good job man, look forward to hearing more!
when irish eyes are smiling, you've had to too much to drink cus eyes dont smile, mouths do
So rather than comment on one song or cherry pick a few, I thought I'd give my impressions on the EP as a whole.

It's a very cohesive body of work, which I like- albums that are well ordered and put together can be more than the sum of their parts. I will say that I craved a little more variety in rhythm and sound, but I know that folk tends toward a specific sound, and you've definitely got that sound down. The playing's tight, the vocals sound great both alone and together on the harmonies, and you definitely have an excellent grasp on how to record and mix. Nice job.
Summer Kind of Girl
The recording sounds great, great quality! I think the bass needs some work though, doesn't seem to work for the song. Could probably be sat a bit lower and needs some top end presence so it doesn't just sound like low end rumble. I think the track would really shine with some kind of melody on a guitar or similar. Nice job, sounds good!
For Now (You're Mine) - The guy's voice in this song sounds a bit off. I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't really fit well. Its too slur-y. Lyrics aren't really anything original either. Your playing in the song wasn't bad though. This might just not be my thing, but it didn't really captivate me in any way.
Thanks for the crit!

I have chosen to focus my feedback primarily on the first two songs of your EP. And I will note that I am not experienced in the genre, so it's hard for me to rate certain aspects of the song.

My first impression is that the sound quality is good, but in a sense could be slightly better. I don't necessarily enjoy a song based on the sound quality, so it's not a real issue, but that's just one of the first impressions I got. A few bass lines sounded a bit odd, even slightly overpowering to the rest of the instrumental, but my speaker setup is slightly set up for high bass. Maybe increase the volume of the vocals slightly as well.

Vocally, I think you did really well. Pretty consistent singing the whole way through, and a great folk-ish tone. The harmonies with the female vocalist, were for the most part good, but at times didn't go as well as they could have, but as I said before I don't listen to the genre so I'm not entirely sure what to look for. To be critical, I loved the highs but maybe a stronger instrumental during those parts would have improved it a lot more.

The guitar playing was pretty much basic chords throughout the first two songs, but blended well with the vocals and the overall melody of the song (which is why I like to keep it basic myself). No errors, so you can't ask for much more than that. I listened to some of the other songs on the EP, and there were some more complex riffs involved in other songs, so great job as a whole. You're beyond my level, so I can't say much more than that.

I will admit that the first listen of the songs didn't really catch my attention, but after I listened to them a bit more for the crit, I began to really enjoy it, and started listening to the other tracks as well!

Overall, awesome work. To record an EP over one day, you've done exceptionally well, and I enjoyed a lot of the songs on your EP!
Last edited by Joshe_009 at Apr 8, 2013,