Hey guys,

For a little while I have been dipping in and out learning the seven natural notes of the guitar fretboard...I know them off-by-heart, from the key of C. (On every string, too. Just to give you an understanding of what I mean,etc.)

Yet, If I want to learn the CAGED System...should I start practicing scales from each notes...EXAMPLE: Start at C, achieve the major scale...then, you know, achieve the major scale of D, then E, then F, then G, etc,etc,etc.

Any suggestions??

Kindest Regards!

- Josh.
Quote by Johnnymarrking
Hey guys,

For a little while I have been dipping in and out learning the seven natural notes of the guitar fretboard...I know them off-by-heart, from the key of C. (On every string, too. Just to give you an understanding of what I mean,etc.)

Yet, If I want to learn the CAGED System...should I start practicing scales from each notes...EXAMPLE: Start at C, achieve the major scale...then, you know, achieve the major scale of D, then E, then F, then G, etc,etc,etc.

Any suggestions??

Kindest Regards!

- Josh.

Learn your intervals visually on the fretboard at the span of at least 4 to 5 frets(like where is the minor third from the note iam fretting on the next string or on the same etc etc etc).With this knowledge start constructing triads of the 4 basic chord families on all string sets:Major,minor,diminished and augmented.....that leads easily to know also your arpeggios and scales .

Caged system is a good place to start cause you see visually everything and pretty clear cut.But do also the work iam mentioning above...
Last edited by Dreamdancer11 at Mar 22, 2013,
Learn what you enjoy? Screw learning theory if you just wanna play your favourite songs for example.

That's the simplest way i can put it.
I would go with some of the basic pentatonic scales. Get the movement down on different frets and don't even worry about what key you're playing in.
Paul Reed Smith CE-24 2005 and Santana SE with Seymour Duncan pickups.
Line 6 Amplifiers
Boss Effects and Steve Vai's Wah Pedal
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
https://www.guitarchalk.com
Pentatonics are the most used scales in the world of guitar so I agree with the previous poster; learn them. Be sure to not just learn the shapes but also learn licks that live inside each of them.