I have a classic 30 with mostly stock tubes, I wanted to revtube the whole thing but I don't know much about tubes. I've looked on sites such as tube depot and euro tube but I'm quite overwhelmed with the options. I play mostly reggae and blues. What are some good tubes to consider?
I'd go with all JJ tubes.

Either tubedepot.com or eurotubes.com will work.

Don't pay any attention to all the types of preamp tubes (high gain, balanced, tested, low noise) etc etc.... a lot of that is snake oil imo.

I would consider getting one JAN Phillips 5751 NOS tube. It is a 12AX7 direct replacement. They are a bit more expensive.

JJ El84s should be fine too - just get a matched quad.
I ordered a whole new set of tubes from Eurotubes on Monday and it came in today. Really fast! I'm gonna put them on soon so I'll let you know how they sound.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
I found some contact cleaner at my local walmart. I've never used contact cleaner before, so is this ok to use on my tubes?

Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
So while waiting on new tubes I swapped out some from my valveking into the classic 30. Part of the reason I wanted to try different tubes is because my classic 30 hums even at 0 volume and reverb. Well after swapping to many kinds of tube combinations the hum still remains so I left it with the original tube configuration. Only now it's worse, aside from the hum if I turn it up and hit a chord (basically something loud enough to really vibrate the amp) there is a terrible buzzing noise and it's very loud (making it unplayable). And I had bought deoxit to make sure the tube pins were clean. Any ideas on what I may have screwed up?
^^ Wow dude - way to threadjack. I confused you with Klonoa87. Feel free to make your own thread. I don't know anything about CRC. Most people I know use Dioxit, but for all I know it is the same thing.

Klonoa87 - Weird man. I didn't realize you had a Valveking too. Good idea trying some of the tube out of the VK to test. So you are saying that didn't help at all and now it is actually worse? I am assuming you are talking about preamp tubes only?

I would plug your guitar into the FX Return and report back - but I think you said it buzzes no mater what. Also maybe try unplugging the reverb tank and then hit those RCA jacks with some Dioxit as well. Maybe swap the power tubes and get some contact cleaner on those pins as well. You gotta move the tube in and out a bit like it is having sex with the socket to clean the entire socket. Also make sure all your tubes are seated real well (pushed down all the way).

Then let us know.
@311ZOSOVHJH - yea I didn't mean to thread jack. You were just replying to my comments so I just went for it. Plus I am in a similar situation which is why I posted in here.

@Klonoa87 - What kind of buzzing is it? I've had some buzzing issues, but I realized it was the power source. You could probably try plugging it in somewhere else or with some kind of power surge to see if that helps with anything.
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
I don't know if you C30 has a ground lift switch on the back, but my C50 does , and it can help with power induced noise issues, if that is the problem.
Yeah before I switched any tubes I plugged into the fx return and it stopped the hum, so with the little knowledge I have I assumed that means its a problem in the pre amp. so I messed around with my pre amp tubes (didn't mess with the power tubes at all). To clarify, the hum and the buzz are seperate things. The hum was always there, it was usable but I felt that the hum was def louder than it should be. After messing around with the tubes the hum is still there but there is also a buzzing. This buzzing ONLY occurs if the amp is loud enough that playing causes it to vibrate (and move the tubes around a bit I'm guessing). The buzzing is VERY loud and the only way to stoP it is to shut off the amp or if I give it a good firm tap it sometimes stops.
Last edited by Klonoa87 at Mar 25, 2013,
^ I see

I'm not an amp tech but that does seem to lend itself to the preamp - at least for the humming but that could also be a power source issues. Can you play your amp somewhere else? Another idea would be to run an extension cabinet (match ohms) and separate the two. See if the buzzing follows over to the cab. It may be buzzing caused by a microphonic power tube or just simple 'combo' mechanics (ie. maybe a tube shield/gasket) may help. Is the buzzing worse on different frequencies or the same all the time?

Quote by EncoreBlade
@311ZOSOVHJH - yea I didn't mean to thread jack. You were just replying to my comments so I just went for it. Plus I am in a similar situation which is why I posted in here.

No problem, I realize I kinda created the situation