Anyone have any idea what brand of ECC83s these are?

ECC83

Any help would be appreciated! Cheers!
They definitely have a Mullard look to them (real ones, ie British or Aussie or something from that era) but it's hard to tell from that picture. They could also be Tungsrams (Mullards made in Hungary) but it's hard to tell. Tungsrams have holes in the plate and in that photo I can't see if they're holes or indentations.
Can you find out if country of manufacture is written on them?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for your reply. Does this help?: -

ECC83 Angle

There doesn't seem to be any more markings on the tube...except perhaps 'V1' on the bottom between the pins.

Cheers for your help!
Still hard to tell but I'd guess olde Mullards. If I could see the getter it would help. Have you seen them turned on? A Mullard will give a bright white/yellow flash when the heaters are first turned on which then settles back into a normal sort of glow. If they don't flash, they aren't Mullards but there are some others that flash too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
that my friend is a AMPEREX bugleboy tube... made in holland. some of the best tubes i ever got my hands on. if its ur tube, hold onto that!
Yeah, you may be right there. That would have been my second guess.

Here's a good closeup of a Bugle Boy.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 22, 2013,
Thanks for the info...it does indeed give a bright white/yellow flash when turned on. Is this common of a Bugle Boy? Cheers!
Yeah, Bugle Boys did that too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Awesome...thanks for your replies. I have 3 of these tubes and having a closer look at another one, there is I63 printed on the bottom, upside down near the pins. Underneath this there is some more printing...this has been mostly worn away but I can make out a "9". There is also a "V" on the bottom in between the pins. Are these made in England Mullards? Cheers
You see the round filament between the mica washer and the end of the tube in that picture? ^
That's called the getter. It's used to burn the last of the gas away during manufacture. What shape is yours? There are halo ones like that bugle boy above, or they can be square, or D shaped.
The tube is upside down in that photo.

It certainly sounds like a Mullard with that code. Could that 9 be a B?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 25, 2013,
Cheers Cathbard. The getter is indeed round like the above Bugle Boy, but the printing definitely looks like a "9"...not "B". Maybe there is a "1" in front of the 9, but not sure.
Thanks a lot!
Looked at another one...there seems to be a B before the 9....and another unknown character after the 9. One more thing please, one of the three has stopped working. Two of the wires inside (connected to the pins) have turned white shortly after using it with another amp (v1 position). Could this be a problem with the amp causing this? Thanks again!
The B would be the first letter on the second line irrc, it stood for Blackburn. I think the I63 had a halo getter but it's a bit smaller than the Amperex one. I wasn't sure if it had a D getter. If it was a D you'd know for sure. However, those codes are pointing towards a British Mullard.
It's unlikely that the amp would cause a white discoloration inside. That would be due to the vacuum losing integrity. It's a pretty old tube. They stopped making the I63 in the 60's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cheers Cathbard. Looking at the tube it has a crack...must've been when I was swapping them. So in the time it has taken me to find out that I have rare 60s British Mullard preamp valves I have broken one....doh! I of course have 2 left to rock out with...only problem is I have 2 amps, so I'm guessing the best way to use them would be to put in the V1 position in both right? (I have an Engl Screamer combo and 1981 Marshall JMP combo) I have standard JJ ECC83s for the other positions. Thanks again!
^ I know that feel bro. I've broken 2 British Mullards and 2 late-'50s RCA long plates swapping them in my Stiletto, which has un-necessarily snug sockets.

If there were a vacuum tube Purgatory, I would be spending some hard time there when I die.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Test them in different spots. V1 is likely to be the best place though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification