Hi.

I have an orange or15 amp which has a really nice, warm clean sound and a very intense fuzzy gain which i love. Its a good amp for playing stoner/doom metal, the blues and 70's rock. For metal i use a metal muff which works well at altering the tone and im happy with that. What im thinking about getting is an overdrive pedal to compliment my amp and guitars* natural tones, pushing it harder without making it sound like a different amp as i have the metal muff for that.

I've heard that tubescreamers and orange amps dont work very well together so im not looking for a ts, bad monkey or any other ts clone. Im thinking maybe an sd1, blues driver, ocd or something simillar. One other thing i thought about was getting an od pedal that attempts to mimic the orange tone (such as a catalinbread scod) and using that to boost the or15. Would that work or would it be better to get a basic od?

*Im currently using an edwards les paul with humbuckers.
Well if you're looking for a boost that just pushes harder without altering the tone then you're looking in the wrong direction. Pedals like the OCD, BD1, SD1 and SCOD will all alter your tone in some way or another.

Instead of a drive/distortion I would look into a boost of some kind. Any of the following would work..

Xotic RCB
Tim/Timmy
Durham Sex Drive
Keeley Katana
Xotic EP boost (this one does change your tone... but in a really really nice way)
etc...
sd1 is probably close enough to a tubescreamer that if a ts won't work (i haven't tried a ts into an orange, but knowing how oranges and tses tend to sound, i could well believe that a ts into one might be too much) the sd1 probably won't either.

^ rcb and timmy are ods rather than boosts, but I agree with those two suggestions (if my mooer and danelectro clones are anything to go by)- you probably want something more transparent and they'd fit the bill. Something based on the original bluesbreaker pedal would likely work too.

i haven't tried the other ones you listed.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the replies. Im not really looking for a boost in volume, if thats what boosts do. Im looking to fatten up and preserve my amps natural sounds and get an overdriven sound without having to increase the gain, the or15 hasnt got a great deal of clean headroom and it gets dirty quickly.

Icronic, I hadnt realised the sd1 and ts were simillar, thanks for that.

The reason i mentioned the scod was its meant to be an orange sounding od and i was wondering if i used one would it help to maintain my amps sounds due to it already having simillar characteristics?

Dave, thanks. Any suggestions as to a transparent od? sounds like what im looking for
yeah the timmy is transparent (if my cheapo clone is anything to go by). it's not the only transparent overdrive but it's one of the best, and is pretty good value too.

i could be wrong (I've never tried them) but i think those catalinbread pedals are meant to be "foundation" pedals- i.e. you leave them on all the time as your base overdriven/distortion tone with a cleaner amp. You already have an orange so you don't need an orange-sounding pedal, kind of thing- it's as likely to be too much as a tubescreamer is, i'd have thought. Something transparent is more likely what you want- you already have the orange sound, you don't need a pedal to help you get there.

a boost (clean or overdrive set up as a boost) will only increase your volume if you run it into a clean amp. if your amp is set up dirty it'll increase the distortion.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok, i had a quick look and i think a danelectro cool cat 2 is what im going with. It looks just right to me, thanks a lot dave.
no problem

bear in mind, i think the version 1 of the cool cat transparent drive was the timmy clone (that's the one i have). the version 2 was changed (and I haven't tried it). I've heard v2 is pretty good, too, but v1 is the sought-after one.

that being said, if you do manage to find a v1, don't pay too much... a real timmy is only $130, lol. plus if you can get the v2 cheap enough it may well do the job, too.

EDIT: you can tell the different versions by the sticker, the v2 sticker is black and has "V2" written prominently on it (kudos to danelectro, first for changing it, and secondly for making it really clear which version was which). the v1 has the yellow sticker, like the other coolcat pedals which weren't changed (the drive and fuzz were also changed as they turned out to be clones of the ocd and frantone peachfuzz, respectively ).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 22, 2013,
Sounds like you've already got your plan but I can say that the xotic EP booster is AMAZING. It can give you a volume boost or you can make it more of just a "tone enhancer" and pure gain boost with the internal dip switches. It colors your tone only slightly but I've never heard someone say its bad as it fits all kinds of music. Its definitely one of those pedals every electric players should at least try out.
Thanks for the advice chris. I checked the xotic out but think im going with the cool cat tod v2. I looked into the differences between the v1 and v2 and found that the v1 is more gainy and colours your sound slightly more than the v2, whilst the v2 is more transparent. My amp has stacks of gain and i like its tones, i dont want to change these things too drastically so im going with the cc tod v2.
Thanks all