https://soundcloud.com/aralingh/demo-1

I personally like wet mixes, the ones that have a lot of background noise to supplement the composition. My band, on the other hand, like it very dry with little to no sound effects taking place. I am being accused of making this too muddy, is it?

It's only 40 seconds and I didn't really EQ it or anything of sort, just sorted out the volumes.

edit:

I was asked to let people compare it to this version,
https://soundcloud.com/claus-pener/14bassdrop/s-rDukl
Last edited by Aralingh at Mar 22, 2013,
It's very muddy in the bass frequencies, and the guitars sound odd and unfocused. It's quite an interesting, unique sound though, which is nice after hearing hundreds of cookie-cutter metal mixes.

What are you monitoring with?

That bottom version is just plain bad in every way.
Quote by kyle62
It's very muddy in the bass frequencies, and the guitars sound odd and unfocused. It's quite an interesting, unique sound though, which is nice after hearing hundreds of cookie-cutter metal mixes.

What are you monitoring with?

That bottom version is just plain bad in every way.

Well, I prefer to call it "wet", "muddy" I use when referring to in-audible playing with a lot of mistakes, while in here, there aren't really any, it's just that the tones mix that make some parts hard to hear.

But it was intentional, as I stated, I love somewhat "full" mixes with a lot of background. The guitarist in my band is bent on arguing that the "dry" version is better, and I don't know what to do with him.

What do you mean by "what are you monitoring with"? I am not really familiar with all the terminology as I taught myself.
Quote by Aralingh

What do you mean by "what are you monitoring with"? I am not really familiar with all the terminology as I taught myself.

Are you using monitors? Like a pair of Rokkits?

That 2nd mix you provided was really really rubbish.

Yeah your mix was pretty muddy, couldn't really hear what was going on at all the guitars were completely drowned out
Quote by AJScott
Are you using monitors? Like a pair of Rokkits?

That 2nd mix you provided was really really rubbish.

Yeah your mix was pretty muddy, couldn't really hear what was going on at all the guitars were completely drowned out

Oh, I'm using headphones, don't have monitors/speakers.

I guess that could account for why it might sound THAT muddy to you, because I can hear what's going on quite well.
Quote by Aralingh

I guess that could account for why it might sound THAT muddy to you, because I can hear what's going on quite well.

But not everyone will be using headphones. I've tried mixing with headphones before, and it doesn't work. Either buy some monitors, or consider picking up a Focusrite VRM box for 100 bucks. I've got one, and while it's not perfect, it gives way to a better mix.
Quote by Aralingh

Well that's no good is it, you need to test your mixes through a variety of things. You need to use a mix of monitors, headphones, speakers (shit speakers preferably, if you can get it to sound good through shit speakers you've done a good job) and things like a car stereo.

I can listen to this through my KRK Rokkits and still hear nothing.

Edit: I really would take out whatever background noises you have going on.
Last edited by AJScott at Mar 22, 2013,
I am well aware of the mixing issue when done through headphones, I can't afford anything right now.

However, I should say, that I primarily target as my audience, people with good headphones like mine, which I guess isn't a specifically good goal when working on an album release.
Quote by Aralingh

However, I should say, that I primarily target as my audience, people with good headphones like mine, which I guess isn't a specifically good goal when working on an album release.

I really wouldn't say that's a good idea. You're basically relying on peoples good headphones/speakers to cover up muddy mixes?

"Oh no, I'm not going to listen to this because I don't have a good set of headphones."
Quote by AJScott
I really wouldn't say that's a good idea. You're basically relying on peoples good headphones/speakers to cover up muddy mixes?

"Oh no, I'm not going to listen to this because I don't have a good set of headphones."

Well, that's the case until I get monitors.

But, I mean... the music I write is mostly listened by me, so optimizing it for headphones is very rewarding.

But I don't really have a choice right now.
Quote by Aralingh
Well, that's the case until I get monitors.

But, I mean... the music I write is mostly listened by me, so optimizing it for headphones is very rewarding.

But I don't really have a choice right now.

There's your problem AND solution.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Quote by TheNameOfNoone
There's your problem AND solution.

Well, that's just a justification of why I mix in headphones having no other options.;

Interesting idea, elaborate.