Hi guys, new to this thread and I'd like to have your opinions on a quality amp combo.
I'm running a Mesa triple recto 150w head with ruby el34's in it at the moment but I'm not satisfied with the tone. Also, Id like to have something like a smaller 1x12, 2x12 combo...... Getting sick of lugging a half stack around every where I go.
I'm not made of money so my budgets quite limited (prolly sell the boogie).
Versitility is key with me, I play a lot of rockabilly, blues, modern rock, and really into metal.
I've found a few used amps that I wanted to know if anyone knew anything about:

Bogner Alchemist 1x12
Peavy XXX 1x12

And more on the expensive side. What about running the new line 6 dt-50 2x12 with POD HD500??? Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Any itput would be great, thanks!
Hey,

I think the Alchemist and XXX are good choices.

The XXX is a bit buzzy and not perfect for Blues but overall a good choice. If I got one I'd put EL34 power tubes in it.

The Alchemist is kind of a love/hate amp. Now that time has worn on and they are out there used I like them more and more. The clean channel is really nice too and the built in delay works well. Either amp could need new tubes and a better speaker.

I can't personally speak to the DT line but I've heard good things. I know the HD floor models are supposed to be able to hook up and give you lots of flexibility but it seems a bit overkill to me.

If you are into modeling amps then also check out the Peavey Vypyr 60 tube combo. I love mine and the Recto model on there is pretty sexy.

Can I ask where you live and whether or not you gig?
Thanks much I'll check into the vypyr.
I live in northeast Texas and no, sadly I'm not gigging at the moment!
Quote by getwylde

Versitility is key with me, I play a lot of rockabilly, blues, modern rock, and really into metal....
And more on the expensive side. What about running the new line 6 dt-50 2x12 with POD HD500??? Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Any itput would be great, thanks!

Versatility is key for me as well. Check my sig for some excellent choices. Especially the 5150 III and Tremoverb. Vypyr is awesome too, but its flexibility is a little limited by lack of an FX loop (its delay and reverb are pretty good though). I think your budget can handle more than the Vypyr.

The DT/HD combination is badass. Its versatility is, for all intents and purposes, unlimited. It also sounds very, very good. The DT amps (I had a DT25 combo) sound great on their own. And I had the DT25 when you only had four preamp models in it...now you get a lot more (available). I feel that the only real drawbacks to the DT/HD combo are the price (DT25 was like $900 on its own) and the complexity/learning curve of the HD500. You really need to be patient and methodical in building your tones. But if you're patient and not scared of the price, it's a killer rig.

With that said, even though I miss the DT/HD combo a little, the EVH 5150 III paired with the M13 is amazing and if I had both rigs, I'd choose the EVH. Hell, the Tremoverb with the M13 is outstanding too. Lol. I <3 my gear now.

Guitars
- Strandbergs, Gibson LP Studio, RGA42FM, S570DXQM, Mayer Strat
Amps
- Peavey Invective, Mesa TC-50
Last edited by Deadpool_25 at Mar 24, 2013,
HEY...
As I'm not a amp "GURU" I am a owner of VYPYR 75 and ah....it loud. And clear loud..no distortion. I've had mind a little over a month with no problems, practice with it every day.

But....today it stopped working. I was shocked as I though maybe issues I've read about on this amp were dealt with hence I bought one. What I'm finding is Sanpara pedals affect this in weird ways. I don't use the pedals myself but I just pulled the jack and turned it off, never came back on. I think I've read about turning the amp off first then pull the jack. I dunno but that's what happened to me. But....bright side to the story is its fixed and working great. If your "some what handy" with electronics you can fix this issue when it happens. I have a thread here on how to install a external fuse holder. Took me 1/2 hr. to do. This should be a factory job instead a fuse on the circuit board.

Other wise AWSOME amp, authentic modeling, great sound on 1 to... I can't go past 5 in my house...lol. Buy it ...good amp.
Last edited by Lodi-51 at Mar 24, 2013,
Why is a nice 2x12 cab to go with your Recto out of the race?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Tube combos are mad heavy. 2x12 all day like Cath said. Its still two trips, but most 2x12s are pretty easy to move. Worth a shot if you aren't dissatisfied with your sound right now.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Mar 24, 2013,
He did say he's dissatisfied with the tone. I've heard the Triple Recs need to be very loud to sound good...?

Guitars
Amps
Quote by Deadpool_25
He did say he's dissatisfied with the tone. I've heard the Triple Recs need to be very loud to sound good...?

Totally missed that. I still stand by the 2x12, especially if you don't want to lug a 4x12. Most tube combos are fairly heavy in my experience. Even Blues Jr's, which are on the small side, are still fairly heavy. When you put the two heaviest pieces in the same box (speaker(s) and transformers) its gonna weigh things down.
You just throw it all on a trolley/dolley/handcart. Why would you use your back to move a big heavy amp of any type? The recto head and a 2x12 would be one trip if you're properly set up. Just get a trolley (preferably a stairwalker) with a strap and you're set to go.
Stop carrying shit by hand guys. There's this thing called the wheel. You may want to look into it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You just throw it all on a trolley/dolley/handcart. Why would you use your back to move a big heavy amp of any type? The recto head and a 2x12 would be one trip if you're properly set up. Just get a trolley (preferably a stairwalker) with a strap and you're set to go.
Stop carrying shit by hand guys. There's this thing called the wheel. You may want to look into it.

You get no man points for using a dolley.
Quote by Kevin Saale
You get no man points for using a dolley.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Oh...I think I read that Cath and some others said the Ruby's aren't good tubes? Maybe that's why there are issues with the tone?

And as for weight...The 5150 is light...the Tremoverb is f'n heavy.

Guitars
Amps
Ruby can be anything. They are a rebranding outfit. We need to know the entire code to identify what they actually are.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Trade Triple Rec Half Stack for Dual Rec w/2x12?

Guitars
Amps
I 3ed? the 212 cab idea.

I have a Randall 212+115 cab that I leave at practice, and a mesa 212 that I carry around to gigs. The mesa actually weighs more then the randall, but it's a lot easier to move around.

I usually carry my JCA50H head in one hand, and my mesa in the other..... Plus the mesa has casters, so once youre in the building, theres no worries

You need to man up, or get your drummer to carry some shit for you what the hell else are those huge arms they have for?
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Mar 24, 2013,
i disagree on the XXX...ive seen a few live shows where a guy was playing jazzy stuff on a hollow body quite well with a xxx. i was impressed.

what is your max budget? i take it about as much as a used alchemist combo?

and have you considered buying a 1x12 cab and head separate? so that when this situation comes up again (probably will in 1-5 years) you can just change the head or buy another one and keep 2
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
so ur wanting to get the mesa off the gear stack because its heavy? get a carvin v3m. its 50/25/7 watts. sounds amazing and tiny. 3 full channels. i just got the zoom ms50g to throw in the loop, and a tubescreamer in front, and i must say, i really dont have a sound i cant get. carvin wins again for me. i bought the zoom on inpulse for the noise gate, but damn that tiny pedal is sweet. theres alot of jeleous friends with my setup now... sorry if i always recommend carvin. but hey, they got a return policy. just puttin it out there. :-P