I'm looking to sell a vintage 1953 Fender Precision and I want to find a place to get it appraised. I'm also wondering if there are any auctions for instruments like this or if it's better to sell it directly to a music shop.
For the vintage stuff, contact Gruhn Guitars. They've been doing that longer than anyone I can think of, and they're very well respected:

http://www.gruhn.com/

Click on the "Appraisal" button on the left side and see the services they offer.

Good luck!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by jvdlcr125
I'm looking to sell a vintage 1953 Fender Precision and I want to find a place to get it appraised. I'm also wondering if there are any auctions for instruments like this or if it's better to sell it directly to a music shop.

You're more likely to get more for it by selling to an individual, since shops buy instruments to re-sell. Private collectors are going to be more willing to pay top dollar for pristine examples or odd stock features (rare colors or configurations), and players who want a vintage bass that's a "player" will likely be more accepting of heavy wear or any damage or unoriginal parts. If you want to auction it, there's always eBay, or if you figure an asking price you can go through some variety of classifieds.

In any case, make sure you get it thoroughly checked out and appraised. Gruhn Guitars is an excellent source for that. For a bass like a '53 Precision, a detailed appraisal is worth it, even if it's expensive. That piece of paper can make a huge difference and put a lot of uneasy minds at rest, particularly when it comes to something like a vintage Fender.

As for selling to a shop, where do you live? There are a number of very reputable shops around the country who deal in high end and vintage instruments that are more likely to have a great deal more experience buying and selling vintage basses then the Guitar Center down the street. Again, you'll probably make less going that route since a store has to make an offer with some sort of profit margin built in, but I can see why you may be more comfortable with that instead of selling it over the internet or on Craigslist.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass