I just ordered a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 after selling my amp, but I am unsure if I should use my PC soundcard ( X-fi Titanium HD, pretty good one ) as output for sound in my DAW and just use the Scarlett for input or the Scarlett for both in- and output, since its technically a soundcard and has a jack for headphones. I'm only gonna be using a guitar and one pair of headphones, just need to know where I should connect said headphones, because all those outputs on the Scarlett is confusing me.
Ibanez RG1570Z w/ BKP Holy Divers
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 /w Guitar Rig 5
Stupid clumsy fingers
Last edited by Bastyn99 at Mar 22, 2013,
It's probably not the answer you're looking for but surely this is a 'try it and find out' sort of problem?

FWIW, I don't use an internal soundcard for anything.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
There is a headphone output on the Scarlett with it's only level control. If your headphones are 3.5mm you will need to buy a 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter. Plugging it into your Saffire will provide no latency, plugging into your PC's sound card might.
Last edited by AJScott at Mar 22, 2013,
Every search I do just comes up with an explanation of how the monitor knob for the headphone jack works, but that still doesnt help me figure out if I should use it or not.
Stupid clumsy fingers
Snap, I wrote saffire instead of Scarlett. I am of course talking about the Scarlett 2i4. Does that change anything (incase you didn't already decipher my mistake) ?
Stupid clumsy fingers
Quote by Bastyn99
Snap, I wrote saffire instead of Scarlett. I am of course talking about the Scarlett 2i4. Does that change anything (incase you didn't already decipher my mistake) ?

I knew what you meant.

Yes, you should use it. It's there for a reason. I have a Scarlett 2i2, and the headphone out on their is much better for mixing than the headphone out on my PC.
ah great, and luckily my headphones came with both 3.5 and 6.3mm cables, so Im good either way. Thanks!
Stupid clumsy fingers
Be sure to use the pad function on the Scarlett, when you plug in your guitar be sure to use the "instrument" setting and turn on the -20dB pad on the interface. When on instrument setting the preamps are really hot and my Les Paul with Seymour Duncan SH4 easily clips it when the gain knob is rolled off.
Thanks man, ill be sure to remember that.
Stupid clumsy fingers
You want to use the output on the Scarlett, because that way you will be able to use ASIO.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
good to get more confirmation, thanks.
Stupid clumsy fingers