So, a friend of mine asked me if I wanted his bass rig. I've mainly played Electric guitar most of my time, but I have dabbled in bass. Even before asking about it, I thought I could use one so my man cave would have the essential rock instruments. I own a nice halfstack, so-so drumset, and hopefully now a bass amp.

I talked to him, and he was trying to sell is Ampeg SVT4Pro head and Ampeg 8x10 Cab. I thought, 'There is no way I could afford that being a family man now.' We talked for a bit, and he offered me 500$ for BOTH! I was ecstatic, and I took the deal. Just for kicks I plugged my 6 string electric into it, and I can't wait to bring the low end!

Now I've been looking into a bass. I figure I could get away with a lower tier bass since this is a pretty nice amp. I remember a long time ago you guys were all 'poo poo' on thunder birds, but I figure it would be fine with the amp. Any other lower tier bass suggestions? I figured there are the sticky suggestions, but I also wanted to add nifty story!

Thanks!
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
Last edited by randomhero65 at Mar 22, 2013,
That's a pretty sweet deal on the head and cab.

For a bass:
Squier Classic Vibe Precision or Jazz
Squier Vintage Modified Precision or Jazz
Ibanez SR300/400/500
Yamaha RBX374
Peavey Millennium BXP
if you're looking for a 5 string at all, the Ibby SR's, Squier VM Jazzes, Yamaha RBX's, and Peavey Millenniums all come in 5 string variants. If you want to look used, older MIA Peaveys (Fury, Forum, Dyna Bass, Foundation) are fairly inexpensive. Used MIM Fenders usually clock in at around $300, and older MIJ Ibanez (like the SR800) can be found for under $300 as well.

The T Bird is a really love-it or hate-it thing. Don't buy one without trying one first, particularly an Epiphone. Their lowest-level standard T Birds aren't known for having the best quality control coming out of the factory, and their ergonomics and sound can be polarizing. If you're interested in one, go try one. Then try a bunch of other basses within your price range. Compare. Then decide.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
That's a sweet deal! I'm kind of jealous now...

I would offer my opinion, but Tostitos just said everything I would've said and more
you should decline the deal and give me his contact details.

and + 1 to tostitos especially on the rbx series basses. my personal favourite of all the ones mentioned above
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Thanks for the updates! I'm just looking on craigslist for any nice deals on said basses!
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird