I just wanted some advice on which i should go with amp wise. My price range is probably at $470 so anything under $500 i could probably get. I play mainly Metal,rock, some cleans and I like the tone of Metal Core so like As i lay dying, Parkway drive ,Bfmv, Metallica, Breaking Benjamin , Trivium, All that remains, Guitarist Andy James, Smt, Godsmack , Killrbuckeye amazing guitarist on youtube (Beast) , Pantera , and some Testament.

Amps
1. Peavey Vypyr tube 60 $450
I have the Peavey Vypyr 30 , it is amazing , but i just want something a bit more. Have Sanpera 1 which is the footswitch for this amp , which does it's job nicely.
2. Peavey Valveking 112 $399
Heard it can't get metal tones, and when i was playing a Valveking head in Guitar Center it sounded okay, but i didn't get to tweak it much, Gc no cranking it... Also heard you would have upgrade it to be up to my metal standards... But it is all tube and 399 is a good price for any full tube amp combo.
3.Peavey Vypyr Vip 2 $199 , add in a bit more new to the vypyrs , love them ,trust them and just over all think they might be a one up or a one down depending on it , never tried them so i dk and the vip acoustic and bass i would never use so..

These 3 are the ones i was looking into to find a one up metal tone to the Vypyr 30 . Any other ideas and suggestions would be appreciated . Leave a comment and any advice .
- Thanks
The Peavey Vypyr tube 60 will be best bet out of all those. The Valveking will need a speaker swap and a tube swap.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Have you considered going used?

The peavey 6505+ 112 can be had for 400 all day long on GC's used site, and it is the amp of choice for several of the bands you listed. If there is something wrong with the amp, you can just return it to GC and get your money back.

This is the route I would take, personally
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Used Peavey Ultra 1x12/2x12 combo they are <$390 used on www.guitarcenter.com/used

That leaves you a few bucks for pedals
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Used Peavey Ultra 1x12/2x12 combo they are <$390 used on www.guitarcenter.com/used

That leaves you a few bucks for pedals

Another good option there.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Playing volumes might be relevant here. The Vypyr's a modeler, something like a 6505 might be hellishly louder than you expect.
Quote by Promit
Playing volumes might be relevant here. The Vypyr's a modeler, something like a 6505 might be hellishly louder than you expect.

nobody likes neighbors or family anyway... who needs them when you got metal......

But he has a point. Are ya playin in an appartment? I didnt notice?
I picked up a Peavey ValveKing112 combo just to use for band practice and I liked it so much that I picked up the VK100 head version. IMO, the only inferior things about these amps are the stock Peavey speakers. Luckily the combo I picked up used already had the stock speaker switched out for an Eminence Man 'O-War -- great speaker and a perfect match for the amp IMO. I also switched out the stock power tubes for some Sovteks and I run the head into a Soldano cabinet filled with Eminence Legends. For my main distorted sound I actually use the Soldano Slo-100 model and Klon Centaur overdrive model on a Vox ToneLabLE into the Peavey's clean channel and I love it. The Peavey's crunch channel has quite alot of gain on tap although most metal guys are going to wanna juice it with a good overdrive. Personally I'm amazed at how great these amps are when they're driving the right speakers, and I've owned high-dollar Marshalls, Mesas, Ampegs, even a Framus Cobra. I use the combo for practice and the head for shows-- it's half the weight of my old Ampeg and I don't have to worry about damaging it near as much. My advice would be to get the combo and drop in a good Celestion or Eminence-- you won't be disappointed.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Valveking does metal just fine, just disable the solid state "gain boost" clipping circuit and use some Tubescreamer clone as a clean boost. Hot pickups will also help.

Also put patch cable into FX Loop if its not in use and dummy jack into port 1 and use 2 for your guitar. Both tricks clean up the sound. Its a good amp, but the stock speaker in combos (and valveking cabs) are said to be... well... ass.

Also if you have skillz with soldering iron there are plenty of mods that can make Valveking quite magnificent amp. I wish someone could do the Mesa mod on mine as my soldering skills are barely enough for rewiring guitar. :/

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I sometimes get flack on here for saying this, because people (especially 6505 owners) don't want to believe it.

I toured and gigged in a metal band for years with a guy who ran a Valveking head into a Marshall 4x12, alongside my 5150 head into a Marshall 4x12. We both had near identical sounds, the Valveking is versatile and has a very similar tonality to the 5150, with similar ammounts of gain. When it came to actual live playing we could both play the same chord side by side and it would sound identical. Through a microphone recording you would notice the subtle differences, but onstage or outfront in a live situation they can sound identical that you cannot tell them apart.

If you don't need all the flexibility of the Vypyr 60 then I would definitely recommend the Valveking to a metal player, they sound fantastic.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 23, 2013,
+1 to the Vypyr 60, solid amp.

Also (as stated above) look into a used Ultra or even a XXX.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Have you considered going used?

The peavey 6505+ 112 can be had for 400 all day long on GC's used site, and it is the amp of choice for several of the bands you listed. If there is something wrong with the amp, you can just return it to GC and get your money back.

This is the route I would take, personally

Ya I've gone used and it didn't work out so well ... But the peavey vypyr 30 that I'm currently using is used and the only thing I wouldn't do is crank it ... The head is screwed in badly and the screws are a bit stripped i tried screwing it in more but it'll just undo itself in a matter of days... So the amps sound will sound shaky if cranked...
Quote by Bigbazz
I sometimes get flack on here for saying this, because people (especially 6505 owners) don't want to believe it.

I toured and gigged in a metal band for years with a guy who ran a Valveking head into a Marshall 4x12, alongside my 5150 head into a Marshall 4x12. We both had near identical sounds, the Valveking is versatile and has a very similar tonality to the 5150, with similar ammounts of gain. When it came to actual live playing we could both play the same chord side by side and it would sound identical. Through a microphone recording you would notice the subtle differences, but onstage or outfront in a live situation they can sound identical that you cannot tell them apart.

If you don't need all the flexibility of the Vypyr 60 then I would definitely recommend the Valveking to a metal player, they sound fantastic.

I dont find that hard to believe. 6505/5150 may sound better and have much more gain on tap, but both are Peaveys and have the same family sound in background. Just like two Marshalls would sound like Marshalls.

Good example would be the boosted Valvestate VS100 vs JCM2000 comparison I have posted video about few times. Both sound almost exactly same but its obvious which one is higher quality and not solid state.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Bigbazz

I want to try the 112 at gc , the head has a bit more gain than the 112 and i might have to work on the sucker for awhile for a speaker change since all the videos I've seen that sound good have done so .. But it is all tube which is what I want , vypy is mostly tube but I have a vypyr and I don't think the difference in sound will be that much of a difference
Quote by littleknarfy
I want to try the 112 at gc , the head has a bit more gain than the 112 and i might have to work on the sucker for awhile for a speaker change since all the videos I've seen that sound good have done so .. But it is all tube which is what I want , vypy is mostly tube but I have a vypyr and I don't think the difference in sound will be that much of a difference

Not all tube. It has diode clipping circuit behind gain boost button, and not a very good one. If you buy a Valveking, buy a Bad Monkey pedal for boost with it. You'll thank me later, it will sound awesome.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Thanks guys for all the advice and ideas !
I'm leaning towards the valve king because it is all tube and I think it would be interesting to switch the speaker out , I already have 2 speakers they are not any thing super fancy but thy are nice , blue marvel from my vypyr 30 xD and I have the speaker of a tube 60 vypyr that I could try
Quote by littleknarfy
Thanks guys for all the advice and ideas !
I'm leaning towards the valve king because it is all tube and I think it would be interesting to switch the speaker out , I already have 2 speakers they are not any thing super fancy but thy are nice , blue marvel from my vypyr 30 xD and I have the speaker of a tube 60 vypyr that I could try

I'm pretty sure the VK has a Blue Marvel speaker in it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by MaaZeus
Not all tube. It has diode clipping circuit behind gain boost button, and not a very good one. If you buy a Valveking, buy a Bad Monkey pedal for boost with it. You'll thank me later, it will sound awesome.

do you have any videos to back it? I want to hear how it sounds and the settings you used!
Quote by Robbgnarly

Unless Valveking is rebranded Blue Marvel I doubt it. Why would Peavey slap two different stickers on their own products?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Robbgnarly

it just says Valveking speaker no specification , but that would make sense.
Quote by littleknarfy
do you have any videos to back it? I want to hear how it sounds and the settings you used!

No, I do not have videos. If you are doubting the diode clipping circuit, that is a common knowledge. Take a look at schematics if you wish, or just start browsing the Valveking wikia.
http://ultimate-guitar-valveking.wikispaces.com/

If you have a chance to try it yourself, you will hear the difference easily. With the built-in Gain boost the sound gets a rather fizzy and treble heavy. With Gain boost disabled and instead hammered with Tubescreamer clone pedal as clean boost the distortion is tight and overall just great. I dont need to turn the gain above 7 with mine when boosted.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
No, I do not have videos. If you are doubting the diode clipping circuit, that is a common knowledge. Take a look at schematics if you wish, or just start browsing the Valveking wikia.
http://ultimate-guitar-valveking.wikispaces.com/

If you have a chance to try it yourself, you will hear the difference easily. With the built-in Gain boost the sound gets a rather fizzy and treble heavy. With Gain boost disabled and instead hammered with Tubescreamer clone pedal as clean boost the distortion is tight and overall just great. I dont need to turn the gain above 7 with mine when boosted.

Alright thanks man for the wikia its got everything. I've looked up some vids with the pedal and it sounds nice!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=670zoBOHK_w

This is my band from 2009, back when we were using the 5150/Valveking combination, and this recording is the blend of those 2 amps, you will get an idea how close they can sound and I'd be surprised if you could tell which part was which amp.

I personally didn't think the Valveking (head version) had any less gain than the 5150, as you would never use all the gain on a 5150 anyway, in terms of "useable" gain they were about the same, similar tonality wise and also in playing dynamics. As for the combo Valveking there may be differences but it's nothing an overdrive pedal (like the awesome and affordable Bad Monkey) can't fix.

The Valveking is an amazing metal amp, and punches above it's weight in terms of price range.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Pantera? You want a Randall. That's what Dimebag used.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Quote by Bigbazz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=670zoBOHK_w

This is my band from 2009, back when we were using the 5150/Valveking combination, and this recording is the blend of those 2 amps, you will get an idea how close they can sound and I'd be surprised if you could tell which part was which amp.

I personally didn't think the Valveking (head version) had any less gain than the 5150, as you would never use all the gain on a 5150 anyway, in terms of "useable" gain they were about the same, similar tonality wise and also in playing dynamics. As for the combo Valveking there may be differences but it's nothing an overdrive pedal (like the awesome and affordable Bad Monkey) can't fix.

The Valveking is an amazing metal amp, and punches above it's weight in terms of price range.

Alright ill look into it thanks man .