Page 1 of 2
kingneptune117
904 IQ
Hey all

I just got a new Schecter C-1 Hellraiser.

What type of strings should I use? I'm a huge fan of Elixers.

I play a lot of pop punk (all time low, mayday parade, that sorta thing)

I also play stuff like breaking Benjamin and Red jumpsuit apparatus but nothing really harder then that.

I want strings that will sound great clean as well as distorted.

Thanks!

What size should they be?
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga
1,184 IQ
Are you for real?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,411 IQ
I think the only thing that matters is what tuning you are in. The strings don't matter that much to your tone. If you like Elixirs, buy Elixirs. I have noticed very little difference between different strings. I have tried Ernie Ball, Fender, D'Addario, Rotosound and DR Strings. Rotosounds weren't as twangy and bright as Fenders (I had both at the same time in my Epiphone, the low E string was Rotosound because I broke the low E Fender string). But really, there's very little difference. I usually just buy Ernie Balls because they are cheap.

But yeah, if you play in standard tuning, look at 9-42 or 10-46. Those are the most usual gauges.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
SteveHOC
Used Register
1,051 IQ
Just try different strings and see what you like. Ah, another string thread.
OffsetOffset
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey
3,503 IQ

Best strings I have ever bought.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
Any strings that raise Hell.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

derek8520
328 IQ
Anything lower than .20 gauge strings is just a cop out.
4FunandProphet
Not actually a prophet...
33 IQ
Quote by derek8520
Anything lower than .20 gauge strings is just a cop out.

You must have been a bass playing Jolly Green Giant in another life...

OT, buy a bunch of different strings and find what you like. Strings are as subjective as... well... everything that has to do with guitar playing.
kingneptune117
904 IQ
It seems like everything in the world of guitars is subjective.

I kept hearing how poor the cleans were for the hellraiser due to the EMG's.

I picked one up, played some cleans, and to be honest I like the cleans on it better then any strat or paul i've ever played.

I guess it's really all just what suits the player the best.
SteveHOC
Used Register
1,051 IQ
Quote by kingneptune117
It seems like everything in the world of guitars is subjective

Anytime preference can come in to play, this is true. It's valuable to have that mindset when discussing guitars though, yes.
OffsetOffset
krehzeekid
Me like guitars
316 IQ
Quote by kingneptune117
It seems like everything in the world of guitars is subjective.

I kept hearing how poor the cleans were for the hellraiser due to the EMG's.

I picked one up, played some cleans, and to be honest I like the cleans on it better then any strat or paul i've ever played.

I guess it's really all just what suits the player the best.

the single biggest misconception with active pickups is probably the claim that they have poor cleans. the reality is that actives were originally designed for jazz, which is pretty dependent on cleans being damn good, and were used primarily for jazz, funk and even country before metal got a hold on them

true, actives can produce some crappy clean tones. this is usually down to either poor eq (actives have to be eq'd rather differently than passives- depending on your amp of course) or the pickups simply overwhelming the amp. actives through a good quality amp with a good eq section can produce truly brilliant cleans. they may not be to everybody's taste, but that's their loss as far as I'm concerned

as for strings, play around. you probably won't find that there is a particular brand that gives you better cleans or distorted tones- your amp is the biggest player in that, with your guitar, pickups, cable, pedals, speaker, pick and numerous other things factoring in more than the strings. the gauge of your strings will affect how certain frequencies come across, and certain brands will feel different, but short of going to a flatwound or stainless steel string, you're not likely to hear much difference.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things...
kingneptune117
904 IQ
Quote by krehzeekid
the single biggest misconception with active pickups is probably the claim that they have poor cleans. the reality is that actives were originally designed for jazz, which is pretty dependent on cleans being damn good, and were used primarily for jazz, funk and even country before metal got a hold on them

true, actives can produce some crappy clean tones. this is usually down to either poor eq (actives have to be eq'd rather differently than passives- depending on your amp of course) or the pickups simply overwhelming the amp. actives through a good quality amp with a good eq section can produce truly brilliant cleans. they may not be to everybody's taste, but that's their loss as far as I'm concerned

as for strings, play around. you probably won't find that there is a particular brand that gives you better cleans or distorted tones- your amp is the biggest player in that, with your guitar, pickups, cable, pedals, speaker, pick and numerous other things factoring in more than the strings. the gauge of your strings will affect how certain frequencies come across, and certain brands will feel different, but short of going to a flatwound or stainless steel string, you're not likely to hear much difference.

If I may ask, how do I "EQ" my pickups. What does that mean and how do I do it?
samuraigoomba
491 IQ
Woah woah woah, where's your budget? How can we know what strings you like if we don't know what your budget is? Those $1000 strings might sound amazing, but I hear the $500 ones work just as well. Don't pay more for fancy strings because of that name on the packaging.
krehzeekid
Me like guitars
316 IQ
Quote by kingneptune117
If I may ask, how do I "EQ" my pickups. What does that mean and how do I do it?

EQ your amp. I took that as self evident, my mistake. it involves adjusting your treble, mids, bass and other tone controls.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things...
kingneptune117
904 IQ
Quote by krehzeekid
EQ your amp. I took that as self evident, my mistake. it involves adjusting your treble, mids, bass and other tone controls.

That's what I figured. I only hear the term EQ being thrown around when discussing active pickups which is why I asked.

Regardless of if I have actives or passives, I always EQ my amp to get the tone that I am looking for. Along with adjusting the volume and tone knobs on my guitar of course.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Well, the way I look at it is how mellow vs. how bright do I want to sound. Yes, your strings are very much minor in that, but they do help. (Every little bit helps.) So, if you're playing a lot of pop punk, then get strings that are brighter.

Btw, do yourself a favor. Learn how to transpose songs. By which I mean, keep your Hellraiser tuned to one tuning. I personally would tune to a lower tuning and then learn where I would play chords in E standard. Iirc, a lot of pop punk is written in E standard tuning, so just tune down so that you can play songs by Breaking Benjamin and other bands that tune lower than E.
If you're changing tunings all the time, you also will have to adjust the truss rod (otherwise, the neck might warp over time), and that's a pain. If you bought the Hellraiser with a floyd rose trem, then you'll also have to re-set it every time you re-tune. (Generally, re-setting my guitar takes me 30 min every time I change strings, but I've also been doing re-setting my guitar for 7 years now.) So, just stick with one tuning, and you'll save yourself a LOT of headache.

Edit:
Quote by kingneptune117
Regardless of if I have actives or passives, I always EQ my amp to get the tone that I am looking for. Along with adjusting the volume and tone knobs on my guitar of course.

If you ever EQ your amp for Metal, for the love of all on this earth, do NOT scoop the mids. Sucks any good tone right out the door. Scooped mids is ALWAYS bad, especially in Metal where you want a thick and powerful tone.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 23, 2013,
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,436 IQ
what you need is a new amp.

also this thread needs to close.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,411 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Well, the way I look at it is how mellow vs. how bright do I want to sound. Yes, your strings are very much minor in that, but they do help. (Every little bit helps.) So, if you're playing a lot of pop punk, then get strings that are brighter.

Btw, do yourself a favor. Learn how to transpose songs. By which I mean, keep your Hellraiser tuned to one tuning. I personally would tune to a lower tuning and then learn where I would play chords in E standard. Iirc, a lot of pop punk is written in E standard tuning, so just tune down so that you can play songs by Breaking Benjamin and other bands that tune lower than E.
If you're changing tunings all the time, you also will have to adjust the truss rod (otherwise, the neck might warp over time), and that's a pain. If you bought the Hellraiser with a floyd rose trem, then you'll also have to re-set it every time you re-tune. (Generally, re-setting my guitar takes me 30 min every time I change strings, but I've also been doing re-setting my guitar for 7 years now.) So, just stick with one tuning, and you'll save yourself a LOT of headache.

Edit:

If you ever EQ your amp for Metal, for the love of all on this earth, do NOT scoop the mids. Sucks any good tone right out the door. Scooped mids is ALWAYS bad, especially in Metal where you want a thick and powerful tone.

OK, first I don't change my tuning when I play other bands' songs. I play everything with the same fingerings as the original song but I just play them in standard tuning. The tuning you are using only matters if you are using backing tracks.

And Metallica wants to disagree...

What is all this hate towards scooped mids? I mean, mids at 0 sounds like crap but I like scooping the mids a bit (I have them at 3). And in the 80s everybody scooped mids.

And clean sound needs scooped mids. Cleans will sound honky if there are too much mids. I'm not talking about mids at 0 though. (Though we have an old solid state Peavey amp in our band practice place that needs mids at 0 to get the best clean sound. But then the distortion of that amp sounds like crap - it needs boosted mids.)

The thing is, it really depends on amp and the sound you are after if you need to scoop or boost the mids. But extreme EQ is almost always bad.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
Quote by Random3
Am I the only one curious as to why TS has bought an EMG loaded Schecter Hellraiser for pop punk?

No I think we're all confused.

Although, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. If he's happy who cares?
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
1,339 IQ
I usually go with metal strings, but whatever works for you is good.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert
1,676 IQ
Quote by Mephaphil
Any strings that raise Hell.

And add some Win to it.

Hellwin! See what I did there? So clever!
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
And add some Win to it.

Hellwin! See what I did there? So clever!

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

kingneptune117
904 IQ
I bought it because I thought it sounded fantastic. Is there some law against what genres you can play with EMG pickups?
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
1,339 IQ
Quote by kingneptune117
I bought it because I thought it sounded fantastic. Is there some law against what genres you can play with EMG pickups?

Yes. But since you're a hell raiser it all works out.
kingneptune117
904 IQ
I directly compared a les paul studio and the schecter for hours before reaching my decision. The Schecter all around sounded better. To my ears anyways.

Also, I had two defective Les paul studios within the last month that I had to send back. Done with Gibby and their shitty QC.
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
1,339 IQ
Quote by kingneptune117
I directly compared a les paul studio and the schecter for hours before reaching my decision. The Schecter all around sounded better. To my ears anyways.

Also, I had two defective Les paul studios within the last month that I had to send back. Done with Gibby and their shitty QC.

Realize, we aren't messing with you because you bought a Schecter (guitars which I mostly like overall), but because you made a "What strings?" thread. The Hellraiser is just a convenient avenue to poke fun at you.
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
1,339 IQ
No, but the name is at least slightly laughable.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by kingneptune117
Is the hellraiser regarded as a bad guitar or what?

The name and gaudy abalone make it a joke. The actual construction of the guitar and the specs are rock solid.

I think the name does it more than anything though. The LTD EC-1000 is basically the same guitar, but no one seems to make fun of it.
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,246 IQ
Quote by kingneptune117

What?
Quote by kingneptune117

Do you think it's a good guitar? If you do, it is a good guitar.

I personally don't like Schecters in general, i think they are generic and look horrible, but my opinion doesn't make any difference.
Regarding the furry fandom from the man himself:
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 23, 2013,
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.
6,559 IQ
I personally love Schecters, and the price I got mine for was a bargain.

TS I have the exact one you are asking about and it is great, but I definitely would have looked elsewhere if I was playing pop punk. That said, if you like it then there is no problem.
GuitarSlayer97
33 IQ
I like D'Addario 10-52 strings that is just my opinion. I have them on my blackjack.
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
832 IQ
Quote by kingneptune117

No.

It's not as subdued style-wise as some folks seem to think guitars 'should' be, but it's a damn solid guitar.

I bought one a couple of years back, and just recently picked up one for my oldest boy because he fell in love with mine. I've got way too many guitars on the wall, and that's the one he likes best.

Of course I got mine for $350 with hardcase in 'near new' condition and we got his for $375 with a gig bag, also in near-new...at those prices it's hard to complain much! Both are the C1-FR, for reference.

As noted elsewhere, don't let anyone else tell you if YOUR guitar is a 'good' guitar or not. If it works for you and you like it, it's a good guitar. Make, model, price, color, style etc. are all secondary to the equation. As an example, I've got one of the cheapest versions of the EBMM made (A Sterling SUB Silo3) and it's one of the 'best' guitars for me that I've ever owned. It's not the most expensive, nor I suspect are the electronics or woods used even close to equal of others that I own, but there's something about it that just fits me perfectly, that makes me enjoy playing it more. I can live with that.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Quote by W4RP1G
The name and gaudy abalone make it a joke. The actual construction of the guitar and the specs are rock solid.

I think the name does it more than anything though. The LTD EC-1000 is basically the same guitar, but no one seems to make fun of it.

+311
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
4FunandProphet
Not actually a prophet...
33 IQ
I think they could have gone another direction with the name and had less backlash, although the abalone binding doesn't help at all. My C-1 Classic has the same reaction from most folks, love it or hate it. It's one of my favorite guitars for the reasons mentioned above.
Dave's not here
23 IQ
Quote by leony03

Best strings I have ever bought.

Now that's awesome..... LMAO
Simple Jack
Acoustics = top kindling
252 IQ
Quote by TunerAddict
Are you for real?

More to the point, are you for real? Someone has a burning question and possibly no one else to turn to, and this is your reply?

King Neptune do you regularly change your strings? If so may I suggest trying a set of Ernie Balls. Elixirs are great, but fairly steep if you're still finding what strings you like.

Providing you're using standard tuning, which I'm guessing you are, try a set of Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys. Take note of the string gauges, and decide for yourself if they are just right for you. The Regular Slinkys are the strings I use, mostly because they're so easy to get. But talk to your local guitar shop crew and try a few brands, it's all a matter of preference.
Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7
Les Paul Studio with Nailbomb / Black Dog BK pups
Razorback Blades V
Axe-FX Ultra
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Ableton Live 8 with Nexus, Komplete 6, Predator, Sylenth
Numark NS7FX
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
832 IQ
Quote by Simple Jack
More to the point, are you for real? Someone has a burning question and possibly no one else to turn to, and this is your reply?

No, in this case he's right. There are dozens (if not hundreds) of 'what strings' threads available if one searches. So many in point of fact that they are expressly forbidden in some of the forums.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin