Poll: Do you like Ultimate-Guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you like Ultimate-Guitar?
Yes indeedy do.
60 36%
No diddly dont.
19 11%
More like Ultimate-Gaytar.
45 27%
A knob is TS.
42 25%
Voters: 166.
Page 2 of 3
Quote by whywefight
and the tabs section. everything else is shite.

i forgot about tabs cause i never use them. it's not that the quality of the average tab is superb, but this place has the most which counts for a lot when you listen to shit besides led zeppelin and the white stripes.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Mods are pricks. Tabs are okay.
Thank God Carmel is gone
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
"Trans Princess". You're bitching over nothing, and you know it.
Carmel isn't gone. And thank you for your sweeping generalisation, you truly are an ass
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by Assid Rane
Mods are pricks. Tabs are okay.
Thank God Carmel is gone

What's wrong with the mods?
Or Carmel?

Seriously? Where are all these negative opinions about the UG community coming from? Our mods have a sense of humor, which is freaking awesome. And they usually do a pretty good job at what they do.

And most of the users aren't bad or anything. You just let their opinions get to you, which is a pretty bad thing to do. The only thing one can argue about would be about the joking, non-seriousness people post in the pit. And even then, there's more serious places all over the internet to go to should you not like that.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Carmel isn't gone. And thank you for your sweeping generalisation, you truly are an ass

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
"Trans Princess". You're bitching over nothing, and you know it.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
-Pretty sure that's the single most stupidest thing I've heard all day. But if you insist, I'd love to see some proof of that incredibly random assumption.

-I have no idea what tabs you're looking at, but I'm sure you aren't looking at enough. Good tabs are actually usually always accepted, while dumb tabs usually get denied because either 10 other versions are already posted, or hardly any effort was put into it. I spend more time in the Approval Queue than I should an I rarely see any good tabs get rejected.

I would like to add that almost all the terrible tabs I have come across were uploaded to the site before the user approval system was integrated. The user approval system weeds out a lot of the bad tabs but not all of them.
I don't like the news articles with misleading titles, or the ones that blow trivial things out of proportion. Also, I don't like how you have to log in to download Guitar Pro tabs and Powertabs.

Apart from that it's all good. I only use it for The Pit. Can't complain about the people here as that is not something inherent to the design of the website.

I like how contributors get no ads.
i only go on the forum
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
I've saved thousands of dollars on guitar lessons and learned countless songs over the years, here.

I owe most of what I know about guitar to UG and its contributors. Nothing is perfect, sometimes you have to wean out the crap, but that's to be expected, and it actually helps in the learning process being able to discern the good from the bad.

There are a lot of good dudes in here. They know who they are. I for one, appreciate them and love UG.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by jetfuel495
You're an idiot. I distinctly remember you (or someone like you) in site feedback ranting about this and everyone proved you wrong.

You're basically saying, "UG charges people to look at my tabs". That's false. Your tabs are there and can be accessed/viewed for free. UG charges people to use their TabPro software, which displays user submitted content in a different format.

Regardless of whether you can accept that or not, by submitting something to UG you are agreeing to UG's terms, which is that all user-submitted content becomes property of the site. If you don't like it, tough tits. Stop submitting content then.Tabs are often rejected for:

A - being shit. Users are involved in the tab approval process. If they vote to deny the tab, it won't be approved. If nobody votes for or against it, it's usually approved unless:

B - there's plenty of pre-existing tabs for that song and your tab isn't significantly different enough to warrant a new tab. I know how this works. There was a song on UG that had a bunch of tabs, but every single one of them had the intro wrong. So I submitted a new tab, and it was denied. I asked why, showing video proof that my tab was right and was the way the band played it, and I was told that since there were so many tabs for the song already I should just submit it as a correction on the existing tabs.

C - it's an unsigned artist/really small unknown independent artist. Unsigned artists have to have their tabs submitted under Miscellaneous Artists or something like that. Independent artists on smaller labels and whatnot have to have proof of label backing in the tab (a link to the label's site or something) in order to be approved. It especially happens when the tab is for an artist that doesn't exist on UG yet. I had a few tabs denied because the artists weren't on UG yet. I resubmitted with some evidence, and boom, they were approved.

Try to view things objectively. Instead of getting all pissy and making passive-aggressive comments that are out of place, you should spend more time in the "Where's My Tab" thread. I know you're familiar with it.

I'm willing to bet most of your tabs were denied for one or more of the reasons above.How big of a moron does one have to be for one to voluntarily hang around places that they so actively dislike without having a real reason to be there?

Not actually the same guy as far as I recall, but yes, the money making reference isn't concerning the mod community at all. It's about the office, the Russians and zappp. The site is funded by user generated content, but the idea about not giving notice or permission is ludicrous. UG don't go into your computer and steal your tabs; you submit them, and agree to having them used however UG wishes within the confines of a limited licence.

I'm still here for certain people. I also find certain people horrendously offensive, but it's good for work reasons for me to stick about a bit longer.
The Pit is like my extended family. Sure, I hate some of you, and am indifferent to most (like my real family) but the ones I love are awesome.

I just wish the Pit didn't have a million "Only" threads. The pit was much more spontaneous before they started showing up, and now some threads (Like the gaming and chat threads) seem like cliquey circle jerks that are hard to become a part of.

Other than that, Never change Pit.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
I think the pit reflects the evolution of the internet

early days.. oh... hello... is anyone here?! Hi nice to meet you

to WTFBBQCHZBRGERLULZ

and now a mixture of both
It's good, that's why I use it. Frequently use the tabs and a few of the forums, as well as the news stories. Very rarely use the profiles or lessons or anything.

There are a few cool people on the forums. But most of you guys are dicks.
Quote by muffinduck01
The Pit is like my extended family. Sure, I hate some of you, and am indifferent to most (like my real family) but the ones I love are awesome.

I just wish the Pit didn't have a million "Only" threads. The pit was much more spontaneous before they started showing up, and now some threads (Like the gaming and chat threads) seem like cliquey circle jerks that are hard to become a part of.

Other than that, Never change Pit.

That. Depending on the thread, you've gotta post a whole lot before anyone actually gives a shit about you.

And yes, I'm including the Anime Thread in this. We probably have one of the highest barriers to entry, actually.
I can't even remember how I got onto the forums. I like it though, I think the mods in particular are pretty good compared to other forums which are quite serious.
I love the lessons here, because I believe they have helped me grow as a musician.
Quote by muffinduck01

****ing this. That's the only problem i have with this place.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by GodofCheesecake
The collection of tabs is pretty much the only reason to use the site. I still have no idea why I continue to browse the forums occasionally.

Yupp.
Playing guitar since 2010

Quote by theogonia777
well said

that galalayo nigga would have been all like

bitch ain't no way they'll ever have telescopes that can see pluto

but we have telescopes that can see pluto so fuck that guy
Quote by ComradSputnik
It used to be cool, ... like China used to be cool

china still cool
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
EG and GG&A forums are pretty great really.

Lots of cool, nice, friendly folk in there.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by muffinduck01

I find the "Only" threads work well for things that are continuous, such as the Walking Dead thread. For something that isn't always evolving/changing, an "Only" thread isn't the best.
The Pit feels less like a community, and more like an apocalyptic internet wasteland where stragglers get eaten alive, and everyone's dying to be recognized for their comedic "genius".

But, I like it here. I also like the site as a whole, despite certain grievances.
i like to come on here to help people not waste money... but total dickweeds post under me talking trash about how i FORM MY PARAGRAPHS OR USE CAPITALS> luckily their parents will pay for their internet, so they dont have to post with their fones. if i help one person, its totally worth it to me. so in retrospect, i like this site if assholes stop talking shit, and practice their ****in guitars. they need it.
No, I only come here because I'm a masochist and I like beating my head against a brick wall.
Quote by ironman1478
im romanian and am offended. most of the people in romania make americans look like autistic kids on ritalin
Quote by ProfessorJim
I'm autistic and on ritalin and am offended. Most autistic kids on ritalin make americans look like romanians.
Last edited by GNR_Duff_rules at Mar 25, 2013,
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Seriously? Where are all these negative opinions about the UG community coming from? Our mods have a sense of humor, which is freaking awesome. And they usually do a pretty good job at what they do.
Sense of humor? I got banned for a month one time because I responded to three different instances on one thread with "wow", pages and plenty of other posts (some my own) apart. Apparently that's spam.
Quote by ironman1478
im romanian and am offended. most of the people in romania make americans look like autistic kids on ritalin
Quote by ProfessorJim
I'm autistic and on ritalin and am offended. Most autistic kids on ritalin make americans look like romanians.
Quote by GNR_Duff_rules
Sense of humor? I got banned for a month one time because I responded to three different instances on one thread with "wow", pages and plenty of other posts (some my own) apart. Apparently that's spam.

Huh. That is pretty messed up. I mean it is totally spam when you do it more than once in a thread. Or once on each thread. But unless you got previous warnings or something, you should have explained yourself more thoroughly in the FOTB.

But still, that doesn't exactly disprove their sense of humor. Mostly because 'wow' isn't much of a humorous comment. That's just them doing their job.
Before I joined this site I would come here for tabs and read news and the forums. I did that for about four years, and then I joined. Now that I'm a real user on here, I have fully realized that UG jumped the shark several years ago. If websites can jump the shark.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Huh. That is pretty messed up. I mean it is totally spam when you do it more than once in a thread. Or once on each thread. But unless you got previous warnings or something, you should have explained yourself more thoroughly in the FOTB.

But still, that doesn't exactly disprove their sense of humor. Mostly because 'wow' isn't much of a humorous comment. That's just them doing their job.

I have a hard time believing they have a sense of humor when they would have had to be deliberately searching for it and having a bad day simultaneously in order to have even cared.

And given the nature of that thread "wow" the only legitimate response to most of what was going on. This was back in the day before facepalms were invented.
Quote by ironman1478
Quote by ProfessorJim
I just joined the site on a whim a few years back when I started playing guitar. Oh, and I also asked nicely for a couple Richie Kotzen tabs, but no one replied. Such mean people.

Forgot all about UG until around 2009 or something, I think. That's when I started using The Pit and realized that this place need community post-rock albums.

I wasn't very cool back then, but I'm pretty damn cool now.
Quote by GNR_Duff_rules
I have a hard time believing they have a sense of humor when they would have had to be deliberately searching for it and having a bad day simultaneously in order to have even cared.

And given the nature of that thread "wow" the only legitimate response to most of what was going on. This was back in the day before facepalms were invented.

Well, I don't know. Maybe it's just the mods nowadays. Again, I'm sure if you had explained yourself in the FOTB or at least messaged the mod you could have gotten off the hook.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Well, I don't know. Maybe it's just the mods nowadays. Again, I'm sure if you had explained yourself in the FOTB or at least messaged the mod you could have gotten off the hook.

Honestly I always thought mods just made the FOTB for them to go complain amongst themselves. I never really thought they took appeals seriously there.
Quote by ironman1478
Quote by ProfessorJim
Quote by GNR_Duff_rules
I know what you mean, things were way more strict back then. But the time you're referring to sounds like the time when UG was ruled with an iron fist. Years ago. I mean, I've been banned for silly things before too.

But times have changed.
Quote by jetfuel495
I know what you mean, things were way more strict back then. But the time you're referring to sounds like the time when UG was ruled with an iron fist. Years ago. I mean, I've been banned for silly things before too.

But times have changed.

wow