Hi everybody. I'm looking for a solid state combo amp within the range of $300-$500. I'd like to find an amp that I could use for practice and recording. The genres that I'm interested in playing are metalcore, post-hardcore, and alternative. I'd prefer it if the amp didn't have good cleans and crappy distortion, or vice versa. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Last edited by Canada Square at Mar 23, 2013,
Why specifically a solid state?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by Canada Square
Hi everybody.
I'm looking for a solid state combo amp within the range of $300-$500. I'd like to find an amp that I could use for practice and recording. The genres that I'm interested in playing are metalcore, post-hardcore, and alternative. I'd prefer it if the amp didn't have good cleans and crappy distortion, or vice versa. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

So you want awful sounding cleans? That's a strange request.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Vyper Tube. I know you said SS but you have enough to get a Vyper Tube 60 - do it. It's the SS front end of a Vyper mated to a 6505 power amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I was leaning more towards solid-state because I've heard that you have to replace tubes. I don't really know how often you have to replace them, if it's expensive, etc.

Also, didn't mean to request awful cleans. I'd like it if the amp had good cleans as well as good distortion/overdrive, and that channel one wasn't extremely nice-sounding at the sake of the other.
he ninja'd me but i am keeping it up.

Quote by Canada Square
Hi everybody. I'm looking for a solid state combo amp within the range of $300-$500. I'd like to find an amp that I could use for practice and recording. The genres that I'm interested in playing are metalcore, post-hardcore, and alternative. I'd prefer it if the amp didn't have good cleans and crappy distortion, or vice versa. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

you don't need us to help you find a shitty amp, i am sure you can do that all yourself. buy a spider or mg.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
A pair of JJ power tubes is about $35 and they should last you a few years. The phase inverter tube is about $10 and should last even longer. You can change them yourself easily. It's worth it, the 6505 power amp really makes a difference.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You only need to replace the tubes every two or so years. Even so, I think it's been about 4 since I've switched mine out, and they still sound decent to me.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
I'd like to track down the leader of this "Tube amps are super fragile/expensive to maintain" bandwagon and slap them.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
The hybrid amps practically never kill their tubes. Vypyr is a good bet, although something like a Roland Cube might suit your desired style of music.
Quote by souperman08
I'd like to track down the leader of this "Tube amps are super fragile/expensive to maintain" bandwagon and slap them.

i have actually had TWO tubes go bad on me in the last 7 or so years i have played. i have gone through a lot of tube amps. but i had two go micro at the same time on the BV120 after i finished the mod. popped two new ones in everything is fine.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have actually had TWO tubes go bad on me in the last 7 or so years i have played. i have gone through a lot of tube amps. but i had two go micro at the same time on the BV120 after i finished the mod. popped two new ones in everything is fine.

I've had....let me count....somewhere around 10 tube amps in my life. Never swapped a tube. Had one go bad on me, but it was a Crate Vintage Clubs, and those die if you look at them the wrong way (from what I've seen and experienced).
Quote by souperman08
I've had....let me count....somewhere around 10 tube amps in my life. Never swapped a tube. Had one go bad on me, but it was a Crate Vintage Clubs, and those die if you look at them the wrong way (from what I've seen and experienced).

i have at least 10 tube (two hybrid) amps in three rooms right now. and i have gone through a tone. i have swapped for tone, but just those two microphonic tubes were it.

i have had at least 5 other tube amps i could name that i have owned in addition.

i am not really a type of person who goes easy on things either. they have all seen at least one gig with the exception of the 1968 bassman (just never was in a band that i needed if for. i would love to bring it out.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Vypyr 30, 60, or 75 (60 has tubes, best of the three).

As mentioned good tubes are cheap and last for at least a couple years. Don't limit yourself to solid state for the reasons you listed. Even if you hadn't said solid state, the Vypyr line is still a solid recommendation. Has a direct out for recording too.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60