Sup guys

I have a question about the 2006 John Catto Les Paul template. I downloaded one of them a while back and would like to use it as part of a school research project. I'm designing my own guitar and am only using it as a reference to show my teachers that I actually did some research before starting this. However I wasn't sure if this would be infringing on copyright, is there even copyright for this particular work?

I'm not worried about Catto somehow finding out and coming after me, but for school, it's important that all my research is sourced and legal. Thus It would be great to know.
Last edited by Gatecrasher53 at Mar 23, 2013,
If you're only using it as a reference then it would be the same as referencing any published, copyrighted work for any school project - maybe articles in magazines or books. Referencing is not copyright infringement. Oh, and copyright is implicit on all creative works.

From another angle, people use the Catto plans all the time to build guitars (I know I did), just like they use all sorts of other templates that are available all over the internet. I've not heard of anyone getting into legal trouble over using templates.

TL;DR: Don't worry, you'll be fine.
Is there anyway these plans could er, end up in my hands? >.>
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by mtshark
Is there anyway these plans could er, end up in my hands? >.>
Seek and you shall find.

Just for information, reading the back-story again (see the MyLesPaul.com forums), John Catto made the plans freely available for educational purposes. As you will see, what he has published isn't quite enough to make a guitar from, but then again, there are plenty of sources all over the web.