What do you play and what amp
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde is a pretty safe bet because it covers so much ground and works well with most amps. I could recomend something more catered to your needs if you let us know what amp you have and what you plan on using it for.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I don't mean to hate on your amp but you really need a new one. For $200 you could get something like a vypyr 30 or a bugera v22
You might want a new amp with that one there, I don't know how well that takes pedals also for blues you tend to want more of an od. I say grab a used flextone instead it should give you some very solid tones for blues and rock. Hell if you look online you might be able to grab a valveking or something if you expand the budget to include shipping, I am a big fan of dirt pedals but some times its just better to bite the bullet and get a new amp.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Yea i was planning on getting a better amp later on when i had more money because i thought the good amps cost at least $1000, so am i wrong about that or are there good amps under 1000
Quote by tas38
I don't mean to hate on your amp but you really need a new one. For $200 you could get something like a vypyr 30 or a bugera v22

I wouldn't recommend a vyper to a blues player, a rock player maybe and just maybe. A mustang or valvetronixs would be more his speed to be honest. The bugera isnt a bad choice but they tend to be on the noisy side.

And ts there are plenty of awesome amp below the $300 threshold used and especially for under a grand.
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
Oh definitely. I know you don't play metal but this a great example. Peavey 5150/6505 is probably the most used amp on modern metal recordings. They can be had used for 600 bucks all day
I agree with that budget I would focus more on a new amp. If your mindset on a pedal get an overdrive for blues and rock. You can get a tube screamer for like $100.
you're never as free as when you are lost
an EHX Metal Muff would be under half your budget
I know a lot of people don't like them for some reason but I think they can give some serious punch when you tweak them properly, especially with the Top Boost

...of course, if you don't want extreme distortion then maybe something else
Quote by Patsfan1281
Yea i was planning on getting a better amp later on when i had more money because i thought the good amps cost at least $1000, so am i wrong about that or are there good amps under 1000

You can buy a good amp for under $1000. I bought my Laney VC30 for €280 used and I'm sure there are lots of cheap good amps, especially if you buy used.

I wouldn't buy a distortion pedal yet because it costs money that you could spend on your new amp. And when you get your new amp, you might notice that it has better drive sounds than your pedal so you have just wasted $200. That's why amp should come first.

And please, guys, read the whole thread before posting recommendations. TS said he wants to play blues and rock and people suggest him to buy a Metal Muff.

Oh, and you can get some pretty decent modeling amps that sound much better than your current amp for that price. Fender Mustang and Peavey Vypyr amps get a lot of praise here (Mustang for cleaner tones, Vypyr for heavier tones). You could maybe go and try some amps in your price range. Avoid Marshall MG and Line 6 Spider, there are better amps available for the same price. Also look at used amps. Save up a bit and you could get a decent tube amp.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Mar 23, 2013,
Quote by JackSaints
an EHX Metal Muff would be under half your budget
I know a lot of people don't like them for some reason but I think they can give some serious punch when you tweak them properly, especially with the Top Boost

...of course, if you don't want extreme distortion then maybe something else

Totally agree love the metal muff for high gain music. I don't like the metal zone which a lot of people enjoy. you can get a used Muff for like 40 or 50 bucks.

I'm only heard reviews but the Boss Metal Core is a very high gain type of pedal.
i would recommend saving for a jet city. decent distortion from a cheap but good tube amp...gig worthy.

pedals? depends what tone your after. all are different.

go on here and sort by price, then spend all day on youtube. a site like this can get you away from the BOSS and Visual sound that your going to get from every guitar center in the country.

http://www.prymaxevintage.com/categories/Effects/Distortion-Pedals/
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by tas38
Oh definitely. I know you don't play metal but this a great example. Peavey 5150/6505 is probably the most used amp on modern metal recordings. They can be had used for 600 bucks all day

I would say a Triple Rect. is used more then the those Peavey models
Fulltone Gt-500 is very versatile and $199 I believe. Don't even use my DS-1, metal-zone or blues driver anymore. This one covers it all pretty much.
Metal muffs are terrible at distortion tones but not bad at stoner/doom metal nit great but definitely not bad, I usually recommend the j+h because 1 its a good pedal that has a wide variety of distortion tones and has a pretty sweet ts clone so if you go decide to buy a new amp you still have the tubescreamer and an extra channel for tones you don't really use. But I later saw that ts had a modeler so I recomended a new amp. Not all distortions are bad its just you just already need a decent amp to use them, its best to think of them as tonal enhancers like a fuzz rather then an amp replacement.
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
Last edited by losing battle at Mar 24, 2013,
Quote by losing battle
Metal muffs are terrible at distortion tones but not bad at stoner/doom metal nit great but definitely not bad, I usually recommend the j+h because 1 its a good pedal that has a wide variety of distortion tones and has a pretty sweet ts clone so if you go decide to buy a new amp you still have the tubescreamer and an extra channel for tones you don't really use. But I later saw that ts had a modeler so I recomended a new amp. Not all distortions are bad its just you just already need a decent amp to use them, its best to think of them as tonal enhancers like a fuzz rather then an amp replacement.

Why people are recommending TS to buy a new amp is because distortion pedal + his amp won't sound as good as a new amp without the pedal. TS might not even need the pedal when he has a new amp because it might have good distortion sounds on its own. So if TS goes and buys a distortion pedal now, it might be the same as if he just threw money away.

The thing just is that a starter amp will never sound good. You can make it sound better by adding pedals but still if you buy a new amp, it will sound much better.

So many people here don't read the whole thread even though it's under a page long. Don't just recommend random pedals: TS wants to play BLUES and ROCK, not metal. So maybe a better title for the thread would be "overdrive" instead of "distortion".
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Amp aside the Wampler SuperPlextortion is the best pedal I own. Should be able to find one around that price.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by MaggaraMarine

So many people here don't read the whole thread even though it's under a page long. Don't just recommend random pedals: TS wants to play BLUES and ROCK, not metal. So maybe a better title for the thread would be "overdrive" instead of "distortion".

Biggest problem with Internet forums for advice, no one reads or reading comprehension is so low, they might as well have not bothered.

Maybe it might help to explain overdrive vs distortion for theTS. I'm not sure I understand it enough or I would. New to pedals.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Overdrive/Boost Pedals and Distortion Pedals are effects based on clipping of the guitar signal. Overdrive: cleaner, softer, rounder, better highs - think blues, classic rock. Distortion: harder, usually less round but not an all out square wave (thats fuzz) think hard rock & metal.

Here is a good internet quote: "If you still insist on a description, I would say think of Distortion as a crunchy, edgy type of gritty sound with plenty of sustain. It is the basic sound of the classic rock bands as well as heavy rock bands all the way to metal bands. Many guitar amps can create a fat, rich distortion by themselves, and then a distortion pedal is often not needed. However, there are also many amps that don't produce much distortion, so adding a distortion pedal can then give a player a lot of versatility by transforming the clean sound to a fat rocking tone.

Overdrive, to my ears, has a more hollow sound, usually less sustain and a more "bluesy" sound. There are many overdrive pedals out there, but the one with the most fame attached to it would probably be the Tube Screamer, by Ibanez. There are nowadays many companies making tube screamer type of pedals. Stevie Ray Vaughan used Tube Screamers throughout his career, and partly because of the huge influence he continues to have on so many people, you often find a Tube Screamer of some variation or another on most guitar players' pedalboards.

The difference in sound between distortion pedals and overdrive pedals can sometimes be very subtle. I find I can set my distortion pedals to sound very much like an overdrive pedal, by turning down the gain a bit, while also turning back the tone knob somewhat. Turning those knobs in the opposite direction however, would create a more typical high gain distortion sound on most distortion pedals."
has this devolved into 'a bunch of amateur guitarists are trying to define the differences between and OD and a distortion pedal'?

there are all types of arbitrary generalizations that can be observed, but they are kinda useless you just wanna sound overly important.

like i can say an OD's clipping section is in the NFBL and a distortion pedal's clipping section is after the output of the opamp. this is technical sounding and arbitrary enough to sound like it may be right, and there is even some evidence that can be called upon for this conclusion. but it is still pretty much just a BS observation that has little to do with how an OD pedal sounds compared to a distortion pedal.

both pedals provide gain and clip your signal. there are far more similarities than differences.

as best as i can tell, the difference between an OD and a distortion pedal has far more to do with a companies marketing and the circuit's origins than it has to do with tone.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae