Page 1 of 3
Hi. I purchased the MXR Distortion III pedal.
I'm seeking a dedicated OVERDRIVE ONLY pedal.

Hoping you'll share which dedicated OVERDRIVE pedals you'd buy again
if somehow your pedal went missing ~ and reasons for your choice.
Thank you.

The under $150 Overdrive Pedals I notice most mentioned, are:

* Boss ~ various Overdrive Pedals
* MXR ~ Micro Amp ~ various Overdrive Pedals
* Ibanez Tube Screamer ~ TS5 TS7 TS9
* DigiTech & Hardwire ~ various Overdrive ONLY pedals, Bad Monkey
* DOD ~ various Overdrive ONLY pedals
* Fulltone ~ various Overdrive ONLY pedals
* Voodoo Lab Sparkle Overdrive
* Way Huge Green Rhino
**** Any other QUALITY Overdrive Pedal UNDER $150.00???

KEELEY:
Is it worth the money to have your pedal modified by Keeley?

If you had a choice of any BRAND NEW under $150 above Overdrive pedal
or pay $50 more to have it Keeley Modified, is it worth it to you?

Anybody with bad Keeley experiences?
Anybody cannot live without Keeley modified pedals?
If Keeley is so great, why not just by Keeley manufactured pedals?

Thank you very much for your Overdrive Pedal comments.
Toppscore
Last edited by Toppscore at Mar 24, 2013,
Here we go...

EDIT: To be honest OP, you will get a bunch of recommendations from a bunch of different people that all use overdrive differently. It would really help if you explained what your intentions are in using it, as you will also have a distortion in your pedal chain.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Last edited by cdr_salamander at Mar 23, 2013,
Stop making bad threads and just buy a Timmy or voodoo lab sparkle drive mod pedal. The sparkle drive mod already has a keeley analog man and two other popular mods built into it.

Edit, no the Keeley mods aren't worth it. Unless you own the pedal and only have 50 bucks for a new one or you want to rip some one off for some extra cash. Lastly the vast majority of the Keeley modded pedals would get their faces stomped in by the compitition by adding 50s to the price point the exception being the rat pedals which he simply ruins.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Mar 23, 2013,
Quote by losing battle
. . . . buy a Timmy or voodoo lab sparkle drive mod pedal. The sparkle drive mod already has a keeley analog man and two other popular mods built into it.

Thanks so much. The Timmy is over my budget.
I'll add the Voodoo Lab Sparkle to the list.
Much appreciated.
Quote by cdr_salamander
Here we go... EDIT: To be honest OP, you will get a bunch of recommendations from a bunch of different people that all use overdrive differently. It would really help if you explained what your intentions are in using it, as you will also have a distortion in your pedal chain.
Alright Commander, fair-enough. I appreciate that good question.
My plan for the effects chain is:

Guitar = Modern MIA Stratocasters/Telecasters

SKB PS-55 Stage Five powered pedal board (just purchased, photo below)

Tuner = Korg GT120 Chromatic Tuner
Wah = Dunlop Crybaby GCB95 Wah
Distortion = Dunlop MXR Distortion III w/True Bypass
Boost/Overdrive = to be determined w/True Bypass
Noise Suppression = probably ISP Decimator or Boss NS-2
Delay = Boss DD-3 Delay or DigiTech Hardwire DL-8 Delay
Tremolo = Boss TR-2 Tremolo
Volume Expression Pedal = 1974 DeArmond G2

Amplifier = 1950s/1960s Fender tube amps (no effects loop)

Goal/Intentions for pedal effects =
Blues Funk Soul ClassicRock HardRock FolkRock InvasionRock

Past years, I've not used pedals ~ simply played Rockabilly Surf & Blues from
Fender Guitars into a 1962 Fender Reverb Tank to Fender vintage tube amps.

To better understand various: pedals, effects, manufacturers, features,
the chain order of effects, and best pricing . . . are the very reasons I’ve OP’d
some pedal threads within the Ultimate Guitar forum. The UG forum has
great reviews, as do other review sites, which all affect buying decisions.
Comments from UG members are part of the decision ~ an important part.
Hope this helps towards making positive comments. Thank you.

Toppscore
Attachments:
$T2eC16hHJG8E9nyfp-L(BROpf7d1+!~~60_57[1].jpg
Last edited by Toppscore at Mar 23, 2013,
TS, you really need to look at good youtube videos or try them out.

And what is with all these threads? alot of what you ask can be found here using the search bar.....
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
TS, you really need to look at good youtube videos or try them out. And what is with all these threads? alot of what you ask can be found here using the search bar.....
Hi, Robb. I have seen many YouTube videos. Very helpful.
Anyone can research/search. Why have any treads at all? Why not just reviews?
Products change, new products are introduced, some products develop a following.
It's been extremely helpful for direct posts/comments from UG members towards my
personal threads and goals. Why even read comments from four complaining trolling members?
Do read ALL of the great fantastic comments & ideas others have shared!!!

All these threads? Mostly one for each pedal?

Try them out? No problem, will probably test out the best recommended
overdrive/boost pedals and the noise reduction suppression pedals.
Some buying decisions are based upon comments and reviews as
I've no time to test 25 Tremolo or 30 Delay or 40 Distortion pedals.

Also, my current group of pedals are for this stage in my life. Will probably
upgrade "everything" down the road, especially as economy/finances change.

By the way, Robb, there have been 100s of great comments, and as usual
about four members who constantly question/complain into threads I've started
or try to ruin the threads "trying" to control things. Man, with 1.5 million
Ultimate Guitar members and 3 million Ultimate Guitar threads . . . . .
I ask, WHY can't the complainers simply move on, rather than ruin???

OK. LET'S DISCUSS this thread's
OVERDRIVE/BOOST Pedals/Effects and KEELEY Modifications, PLEASE

Hope this helps you, Toppscore
But what are you using Overdrive for? As a boost for an amp, a boost for other pedals, or as a standalone drive?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
But what are you using Overdrive for? As a boost for an amp, a boost for other pedals, or as a standalone drive?

Thanks, Ben. OD for instant boost of signal towards amp.
The volume expression pedal is mainly for volume adjustments
and the OD/Boost pedal for an instant preset boost.

Any suggestions of OD/Boost pedals you like?
So you want both and OD pedal and a separate boost pedal. To use both of them as a boost?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Hi, Ben. I desire the below pictured 1974 DeArmond G2 expression volume pedal
to be at the "end" of the chain for any desired slight increase or decrease in volume.

This thread's desired Overdrive/Boost pedal is for "instant" preset boost increase.

Both the "Boost Pedal" and the "volume expression pedal"
will be used for different reasons. Is this helpful?

Ben ~ any suggestions towards OD/Boost pedals you like or have owned?
Thanks. Toppscore
Attachments:
$(KGrHqN,!oUFDCIENIZwBR!M3wk)EQ~~60_57[1].jpg
TS I was not downing you at all, but your threads are not exactly specific at times. There are tons of great FX made by a huge selection of companys to choose from.

All work diffrently with diffrent amps.

I use a Digitech Bad Monkey and a GFS Greenie classic. These are similar to the Ibanez TS pedals. I do not use them for their gain structures, but as a clean boost.

The Bad Monkey is a nice cheap OD pedal with a bass and trebel knob not just a tone knob. This gives you the option of adding some of the bass back that the typical 1 tone knob lacks. I like this pedal with most of my amps, but it does not like my Peavey Windsor Studio very much.

The GFS greenie classic is another low cost option. It is similar to the Ibanez TS-9DX. It has a 3 position switch to give the pedal subtle voicing changes

Both of these pedals are <$50 new and are IMO better than the TS-9 that cost $99 new.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
All you need now Toppscore is a chorus thread, a flanger thread, a phaser thread, an octave thread, a reverb thread, a fuzz thread and finally an EQ thread. You have a lot of work to do.
Quote by Sputnik1
All you need now Toppscore is a chorus thread, a flanger thread, a phaser thread, an octave thread, a reverb thread, a fuzz thread and finally an EQ thread. You have a lot of work to do.

+1

not really please don't
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Toppscore, use google, past threads and videos to help your decision. I'm sure you're able to do that. If every member here made a new thread every time they wanted a pedal we'd be knee deep in threads. Please, limit yourself, do your own research and then consider a new thread if you're utterly stuck.
]
Quote by Robbgnarly
TS, you really need to look at good youtube videos or try them out.

And what is with all these threads? alot of what you ask can be found here using the search bar.....

I second this, especially when it seems like he/she just buys a random pedal no one mentioned. I wonder if this isn't a marketing idea.

"Hey guys, what's a good overdrive pedal?"

Users suggest and discuss many, and no one mentions the Shadow Drive or no one speaks highly of it.

"Well I just got a Shadow Drive! Sounds awesome! So much better than those other ones.."

Some people go and look at Shadow Drives
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Last edited by Shadowofravenwo at Mar 23, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
TS I was not downing you at all, but your threads are not exactly specific at times. There are tons of great FX made by a huge selection of companys to choose from. All work diffrently with diffrent amps. I use a Digitech Bad Monkey and a GFS Greenie classic. These are similar to the Ibanez TS pedals. I do not use them for their gain structures, but as a clean boost. The Bad Monkey is a nice cheap OD pedal with a bass and trebel knob not just a tone knob. This gives you the option of adding some of the bass back that the typical 1 tone knob lacks. I like this pedal with most of my amps, but it does not like my Peavey Windsor Studio very much. The GFS greenie classic is another low cost option. It is similar to the Ibanez TS-9DX. It has a 3 position switch to give the pedal subtle voicing changes. Both of these pedals are <$50 new and are IMO better than the TS-9 that cost $99 new.

Robb. No thoughts about you downing me at all. IMHO, anyone who posts a thread
has a right to post. But, even bigger, is members need to recognize there IS a reason
ANY OP starts a tread. Both reasons should be respected. I used your comment to share
about a few related things. Again, it is only four persons who have tolled for arguments
on all of my threads from day one. They are critical, negative, sometimes obscene,
have sent fowl nasty private messages/comments and are persistently rude and bitter.
I simply ignore them. They are blocked by Ultimate Guitar.

On the other had, as you did ask ~ it is very fair to ask any OP to help understand that
OP's goal or intentions. Helps you help the OP. I'm not perfect, will make mistakes and
can easily add requested info.

Having a boost/overdrive stompbox in the middle of "MY" effects chain and then have an
expression volume pedal at the chains end, may seem unusual. Buying three digital delays
may seem unusual. Buying a noise suppressor or a tremolo pedal, may seem unusual.
But I have reasons and plans and goals. Anything can be tested and resold. Asking for
posting helpful comments and then making a buy decision is my prerogative. Having an
under $150 budget has it's reasons. Procuring a group of useable products today,
getting experience with them, then buying much more expensive effects later, is part
of the bigger plan. First things first.

Robb. I've heard wonderful things about DigiTech's Bad Monkey,
will put it on my list. Thanks

It seems as if GFS went out of business. Only a couple of used GFS product remain.
Could they have changed their name?

Thanks again. Toppscore
Quote by falcon1439
Toppscore, use google, past threads and videos to help your decision. I'm sure you're able to do that. If every member here made a new thread every time they wanted a pedal we'd be knee deep in threads. Please, limit yourself, do your own research and then consider a new thread if you're utterly stuck.

Falcon. Please read my above response to RobbGnarly comment. Thank you.
The site is www.guitarfetish.com they have an entire pedal section. Most of their pedals are pretty nice and only $50ish each new. You can also use www.guitarcenter.com/used to find more expensive pedals cheaper. I bought a Morley Bad Horsie 2 and an MXR Smart Gate for $125 shipped that is less than either cost new.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Toppscore
Anything can be tested and resold. Asking for
posting helpful comments and then making a buy decision is my prerogative.

And not helping you due to your past threads and calling out your nonsense is our prerogative. Deal with it.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
thegearpage.net if there's one thing those guys like, it's discussing overdrives. they will love you for your threads there.

Thanks, Naked. If there is one thing I do, is I search for reviews and many other
persons have as other forums and review sites very similar questions.
And those forums, this forum and its review sections have been awesome.
Also, have used YouTube extensively.

Thanks for the tip, Naked. Will double check the Gear Page again.

By the way, Naked, do you own or have used a dedicated boost/overdrive pedal
you like and/or would buy again?

Toppscore
All the research you want people to do for you would be much better accomplished by searching, either here or on Google.

We offer advice and opinions, it's not up to us to do the research on these pedals. I could tell you the different characteristics of the pedals you've listed within 10 minutes of searching.

How about this, go to the shop, and try out a bunch of different overdrive pedals. Then once you know which ones you like, come back and ask which ones people think would work best with your equipment.

With your vague and uninformative comments, all you're going to get is a list of our favourite overdrive pedals. If that's what you're after - great.

In your own words: "Please. Go read the damned stickies before posting".

HTH
Quote by Sputnik1

IT MUST ALL BE IN CAPS.
Quote by R45VT
IT MUST ALL BE IN CAPS.

¡uʍop ǝpısdn puɐ
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
I second this, especially when it seems like he/she just buys a random pedal no one mentioned. I wonder if this isn't a marketing idea. "Hey guys, what's a good overdrive pedal?" Users suggest and discuss many, and no one mentions the Shadow Drive or no one speaks highly of it. "Well I just got a Shadow Drive! Sounds awesome! So much better than those other ones.." Some people go and look at Shadow Drives

Shadow. What it "seems" is that you are not accurate.
"Seems" you are trolling for an argument.
All you do is shout out an "opinion" without knowing facts or doing research.
I do not care what product you recommend or what your background is if you
present yourself as a know-it-all and as the only person with the "right" answer.
Why come onto a thread without adding to it???????
You just came on and complained, tried to control another person or thread, and just tried
to be "right" without thought. Is this your normal modus operandi??? If so, go away.

Otherwise, Shadow, do you own or have used a dedicated boost/overdrive pedal
you like and/or would buy again?
==============

Shadow . . . . . following are two pedals I am seeking to buy.
Have been using UG for help with product ideas. Got a problem with that?

1) Boost/Overdrive = to be determined w/True Bypass
2) Noise Suppression = probably ISP Decimator or Boss NS-2

Shadow . . . . . . following are products I have purchased this past month
with help from UG members, YouTube, UG Reviews, Google search, etc.
Got a problem WITH ANY OF THE BELOW CHOICES????

1) SKB PS-55 Stage Five powered pedal board
2) Korg GT120 Chromatic Tuner
3) Dunlop Crybaby GCB95 Wah
4) Dunlop MXR Distortion III w/True Bypass
5) Boss DD-3 Delay
6) DigiTech Hardwire DL-8 Delay
7) Boss TR-2 Tremolo
8) 1974 DeArmond G2

I MAY OR MAY NOT LIKE YOUR OPINIONS. But, I appreciate ALL OPINIONS.

Again, Shadow . . . . any thoughts you might add regarding boost/overdrive or Keeley?
With lots of love Forever, Toppscore
I also have to make it bold and change the color to get my point across!!!

Seriously how long does it take you to make a post?
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Mar 23, 2013,
****ing hell.

just to shut you up i can build you a ****ing pedal that you want under budget. just to prove a point that:

a) you're a moron.
b) it can be done.
c) keeley is overpriced.

take it or leave it.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
****ing hell.

just to shut you up i can build you a ****ing pedal that you want under budget. just to prove a point that:

a) you're a moron.
b) it can be done.
c) keeley is overpriced.

take it or leave it.

Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
I bought a Behringer TO800 at the Goodwill store for $6. It sounds nearly identical to the $150 Maxon my buddy has. He was kind of mad though since he researched the "original" for months.
Quote by Robbgnarly
The site is www.guitarfetish.com they have an entire pedal section. Most of their pedals are pretty nice and only $50ish each new. You can also use www.guitarcenter.com/used to find more expensive pedals cheaper. I bought a Morley Bad Horsie 2 and an MXR Smart Gate for $125 shipped that is less than either cost new.

Thanks, I have purchased several pickup sets from them and have an account.
Will definitely investigate. My approach is to find the best pedals within a price range.
Then compare the new versus buying an used. Much appreciated. Toppscore
Quote by Ippon
+311 and 311's QR ... may not need a boost:

Ippon. That is one ugly looking setup.
I had to readjust my display settings

but, must be a cool machine . . ..
Last edited by Toppscore at Mar 24, 2013,
Quote by Andalus
All the research you want people to do for you would be much better accomplished by searching, either here or on Google. We offer advice and opinions, it's not up to us to do the research on these pedals. I could tell you the different characteristics of the pedals you've listed within 10 minutes of searching. How about this, go to the shop, and try out a bunch of different overdrive pedals. Then once you know which ones you like, come back and ask which ones people think would work best with your equipment. With your vague and uninformative comments, all you're going to get is a list of our favourite overdrive pedals. If that's what you're after - great

Andalus. Study and read comment #7 of this thread. Research first, please.
This is the third time your question has been asked. Go read and review #7.

Andalus: "We offer advice and opinions" ~ thank you, much appreciated.
Just do not think your opinion is fact or best ~ make your comments to be a possibility.

Andalus: "it's not up to us to do the research on these pedals".
Please do not do my research. Read comment #7. I do my own research.

Andalus: "all you're going to get is a list of our favourite overdrive pedals.
If that's what you're after - great." IT IS WHAT I AM AFTER!!!!!
I simply want members to share good or bad comments regarding their usage
of boost or overdrive pedals. That's ALL! Simple as that! Then I research the few

Andalus . . . . as a fellow buddy member, my plan is NOT to seek search touch
and evaluate 40 Tremolo pedals, 50 Distortion pedals or 60 delay pedals . . . .

My goal is to seek what OTHER Members have experienced and narrow down
the monstrous number of available pedals to a few highly desired, highly reviewed
and highly recommended pedals. Then, Andalus, my research goes from that point.

Andalus ~ do you have a overdrive or boost pedal you recommend?
Or, are you still more worried about "MY" inquiry & research plan? (read comment #7)

Also, Andalus . . . . . . .
There are 1.8 million Ultimate Guitar members and 17 trillion UGr threads & reviews.
Why not enjoy or move on? Why be an "Internet Complainer or "OnLine Controller"?

With extra special love from me to you
Toppscore
Page 1 of 3