Hi guys! This is my first thread in the forums as I only just signed up (I've been coming here for a long while though), so I apologize in advance if I do anything wrong. I also didn't know which forum category to post this in exactly but I figured this would kind of be it.

I've been playing guitar for roughly 3 and a half years now. As you could have guessed by the title, Guns n' Roses (the OLD Guns n' Roses) is my favourite band and I really adore the guitar work of Izzy Stradlin and Slash (don't worry, I'm not one of those people who believe Slash is the best in the world, I just really like his style of playing). I've kind of come to a wall which I'm struggling to climb over in terms of creativity. I really want to be able to create raw hard-rock kind of riffs, licks and solos of a GnR kind of style.

Unfortunately, I cannot come up with anything worth remembering or anything raw and rocking (all my stuff is too light and floaty kind of thing and doesn't get you pumped up like GnR). I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me out with any advice in this regard; techniques, chord progressions, how to create new licks, anything. I know my scales in positions up and down the neck and I know all the chords but I can't seem to be able to do anything with them. My scale playing is so linear (just going up and down) and my chord progressions just aren't hard and heavy.

Another thing I've noticed is that generally speaking, their progressions and single note riffs are all so bare and simple yet still original. How do you manage to do something like that and keep it new when it's been taken and done already?

Examples: Welcome to the Jungle, It's So Easy, Nightrain, Out Ta Get Me, Paradise City, Mr Brownstone, Rocket Queen, You Could Be Mine

I know I sound like a tool, but any help would be really appreciated
Last edited by Jacko.S at Mar 23, 2013,
Listen to what you hear in your head. This is the most important thing when you compose. Don't try to noodle around with your guitar without knowing what you are doing. That will only repeat the patterns your fingers remember. Think in music and play what you hear in your head.

You could analyze your favorite songs. Analyze what kind of chords and rhythms they use.

GNR use groovy rhythms in their songs, rhythm is also important and I think that might be one of the main reasons your songs lack the balls.

Also adding more instruments than just guitar makes your songs come alive. Don't throw away your ideas. You can always improve them. GNR use pretty simple chord progressions so don't worry about the chords too much. Basic three-chord progressions are very usual. They are what rock is about.

Also you can't expect your first songs to be number one hits. But you can of course improve your songs so that they become number one hits later. My songs get their final form when we start playing them with our band. Everybody kind of adds their own playing style to the song and it starts to sound different. Writing with your friends helps a lot. You hear their opinion about your ideas and they can also have ideas that would fit the song perfectly. You can always change the parts in your song.

An important thing in AFD sound is that Izzy and Slash play same kind of parts but they add their own style to them and play the same parts differently. It sounds like they are playing live.

Here are two songs that are based on the same idea. They sound pretty different. I posted them to show you that you can always improve/change your song ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vdsUDNpM54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIawk-9PApw
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Mar 23, 2013,
Quote by Jacko.S
I've been playing guitar for roughly 3 and a half years now. As you could have guessed by the title, Guns n' Roses (the OLD Guns n' Roses) is my favourite band and I really adore the guitar work of Izzy Stradlin and Slash (don't worry, I'm not one of those people who believe Slash is the best in the world, I just really like his style of playing). I've kind of come to a wall which I'm struggling to climb over in terms of creativity. I really want to be able to create raw hard-rock kind of riffs, licks and solos of a GnR kind of style.

Unfortunately, I cannot come up with anything worth remembering or anything raw and rocking (all my stuff is too light and floaty kind of thing and doesn't get you pumped up like GnR). I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me out with any advice in this regard; techniques, chord progressions, how to create new licks, anything. I know my scales in positions up and down the neck and I know all the chords but I can't seem to be able to do anything with them. My scale playing is so linear (just going up and down) and my chord progressions just aren't hard and heavy.

Yeah man I know where you're coming from.

BEST thing you can do is to learn all those songs. Not just a riff or two but how to play those songs. If you really study these songs you will start to get the feel of them and the tricks they use under your fingers and into your ears.

I can't really tell you how to write guitar parts like GnR as I'm still aspiring to do the same thing myself. - They were one of the greatest rock bands of all time so if you figure it out you will be doing pretty well. What I can tell you though is that a lot of it is in the attitude.
Si
From a theory standpoint, GNR stuff is pretty standard. Lots of diatonic chords, Slash exclusively stays to major, minor and blues scales. Notably a lot of the songs modulate for the solos.

Slash has a pretty good ear for melodies though, and that's pretty much his secret. He's got some go-to licks in his solos, but otherwise his solos are just great melodies - not too much wankery, you can sing/hum them and they sound good. You can learn some of his solos to get the idea of how he appproaches them.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Slash is pretty good, but he's not doing anything out of the ordinary. If you want songwriting tips, though, I'd listen to a band's rhythm section before the guitarist.