I've just discovered the beauty of drop D and double drop D after watching a lesson.
I always improvise with standard tuning, trying to be creative with it but im just bored with the same old sounds I get noodling about and creating riffs which are just boring.
Then I drop the 2 E strings down to D and it makes a hell of a big difference, I could play for ages with changing from 3 string power chords to high string chords up and down the neck with open strings,
In fact it's hard to get a bad sound from this tuning, its dark and moody and sounds sweet.
I can play lots of rhythm and use the low E as a bass drone, and the high e as an open melody/sustained note, and there's lot of room for other open notes
What tunings do people on here use, that you like, any recommendations,
I've used a few different tunings for the odd song here and there but not many, I think I'm going to keep my guitar tuned to this for a while though
I keep mine pretty much in standard, because I haven't yet mastered it there yet, so I want to get that down before I move on personally
yea, That why partial capo open tunings are so hip: new ideas , but same standard tuning...so knowledge is cumulative.

The one that lets you do any open tuning is the spidercapo.
its an idea machine
I like open D

D
A
F#
D
A
D

and open C minor

Eb
C
G
Eb
G
C
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
I've used open D quite a bit for Bob Dylan songs putting the capo on the 2nd fret to make it open E which he uses a lot

I thought you where jk about the spidercapo, just googled it, interesting!
The best tuning I've found for Dylan tunes [my fav's are "Just Like a Woman" and "don't think twice...] is [0,0,1,1,0,0].
:-) Believe it or not.
But I'm playing melody and chords...which I couldn't do otherwise