I was fortunate to spot an attractive priced Korg SR01 SOS Recorder. I wasn't specifically looking for a recording device, but this one picked up my attention. It might be a perfect device for my first steps into the recording world. The price is €129 ($166,55).

There are some disadvantages though. I read that it doesn't play MP3 files, so if you want to play songs on it you have to convert them to WAV files. Also the display isn't the best one out there.

My purposes in recording:
- First steps in recording
- Improvise over a loop
- Work on my timing via metronome
- Experiment with a recording device.

Who has experience with this device and what are you thoughts? If also spot some other devices, but wich one are worth my attention? They have to be in the same price range obviously.

Note: I don't need the best one out there. I'm just looking around to set my first steps into the recording world.

Thanks!
Those handheld field recorders are really useful for practical purposes, but as 'first steps into the recording world' they're useless - you won't really learn anything useful.

You'd be better off getting a cheap USB audio interface and a mic, and some recording software.
Quote by kyle62
Those handheld field recorders are really useful for practical purposes, but as 'first steps into the recording world' they're useless - you won't really learn anything useful.

You'd be better off getting a cheap USB audio interface and a mic, and some recording software.

The practical aspect is the most important. By my 'first steps in the recording world' I meant to say that I've never recorded myself before. I do have a pretty decent mic already tho. This device includes some light software etc. so this will be new for me. The purpose is not to produce high-end quality songs. The purpose is to start recording what I play, learn to use how to use some effects on it and may make some songs, just for at home. I still consider myself as a beginner at the guitar as well. It is key in my development to focus on my timing etc.

Thanks for your response.
Quote by kyle62

This - although a proper multitracker is also an option if you want the portability the handheld device would have offered.

Go read the Interfaces sticky - there are lots of recommendations for both software and hardware based DAWs, all of which would be better than what you're considering.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
This - although a proper multitracker is also an option if you want the portability the handheld device would have offered.

Go read the Interfaces sticky - there are lots of recommendations for both software and hardware based DAWs, all of which would be better than what you're considering.

Thanks!